What giant killer speakers do you have attached to your NAP 250?

Looking to get my speakers more in line with my NAP 250 DR.

Currently running 20 year old Sonus Faber Concertinos.

Space is a problem so cannot put down large floor standers.

Recently got triggered to look at the Boenicke W5 and will be demoing them soon enough.

Any other ideas of giant killer speakers to look at and try?

Ummm but the footprint of a floorstander is the same as a stand.

What do your dealers have available in your price range? That’ll limit your options to a manageable shortlist.

2 Likes

A pair of Neat Orkestras

8 Likes

Get them pitchforks and torches ready for my next statement…

In the current situation they should preferably be of the bookshelf kind.

Which is why my dealer suggested the Boenicke W5 which can be fitted with a spring base to go on furniture.

My first introduction to them blew my mind that such a sound could come out of something that compact so they are a serious contender for me. All reviews of them I have read are also next to lyrical. But they also have quite a price tag so want to at least find out if there are options I am missing.

3 Likes

So you mean, genuine bookshelf speakers, not stand mount, to sit on bookshelves, or other furniture. If that also means they will be very close to the wall or touching the wall, then it may be worth looking at speakers designed for wall mounting, such as those from ATC or PMC, and I believe there are othersbut I’m unfamiliar with them .

1 Like

I’d let your dealer guide you to be honest. If they have a suitable speaker that works on a shelf then that’s great.

I suppose if I was going to my dealer to ask the same question, they’d probably show me JBL L-82 or a pair of KEFs.

1 Like

@Kryptos I’ve only heard the Boenicke W5s once, and that was in the context of complete CAD digital system, plus a Lavardin integrated amp. The quality and sheer scale of the sound from those diminutive but beautifully finished speakers defied all logic. Would love to hear them in a full Naim system to see if there is synergy between these two brands. As an aside, It is refreshing to see a loudspeaker designer / manufacturer like Boenicke creating something a little different to the usual rectangular box.

4 Likes

Yeah they have not given me bad advice so far. Just want to make sure I cover my bases BEFORE buying haha.

My dealer stocks them (and others from the Boenicke range) as recommended speakers for their Naim amps. This week I heard it there attached to a Nova and it was pretty mind blowing. Will be able to try a set for a few days at home in the near future to see how they perform in place.

I agree. The look of it alone is almost already a conversation piece and for it to then really put its money where it’s tiny little mouth is is so refreshing. Weirdest thing is how they dance on the spring base. They physically wobble and dance and that is by design as Sven Boenicke says they should be able to move with the energies being generated in the box.

1 Like

Sopra 1 (gets ready for the hate!hahahaha)

2 Likes

audiovector r1.

4 Likes

Apertura Altra

1 Like

ATC SCM40, a match made in hi-fi valhala.

4 Likes

The images on the W5 page of the manufacturer’s website include one with Naim gear. That might mean nothing of course, but you’d hope it isn’t just product placement!?

They look like amazing pieces of kit, interesting construction. They definitely look different too 8) Be good to read how they sound in a Naim system.

3 Likes

Not sure about giant killers, but my Dynaudio Contour 20is get on very well with the 250dr. But need to be on stands and they’re rear ported, so may not suit your setup.

1 Like

Perlisten S7t’s on mine.

2 Likes

Ah, so they do! Last photo in the carousel, linked to a Supernait 2 or 3, N-DAC, ND5XS and an Audiolab CD transport. The W5 on this same picture also look really good in black too.

Screen shot…

4 Likes

…or Dynaudio Evoke 50’s😁
Well, I did just buy a pair in October and if there’s one thing that we’re good at on this Forum, it’s RAVING about our own choices✅

3 Likes

Might be difficult to demo, but Audio Physic Classic 3’s might be a worthy contender. I have the discontinued Compact Classics (replaced by the 3’s) on my CB160 BD and they sound wonderful and just disappear. Also quite forgiving with room placement. That said, those W5’s are on my aspirational list, so if you have the $$ go for it.

1 Like

Several classics: Harbeth M30/P3ESR, Aerial 5B and mostly (Careful With That Volume Control, Eugene) - LS3/5As!

Couldn’t agree more :ok_hand:

1 Like