What gig have you just been to (in 2021)?

It’s hard to say when I’ll be comfortable seeing a live show indoors again. It won’t be in the next few months though unless I see some changes in behavior.

3 Likes

That must have been a great night Kev, wish I’d been there. Always try to see Alabama 3 when they venture up north.
We obviously chose the wrong week to visit friends in London, but did make my first ever visit to Ronnie Scott’s, to catch an energetic performance from singer Tony Momrelle ( a new name to me, but has a great Stevie Wonder like voice) and his excellent funky band.

Have also been to a couple of socially distanced gigs, at our local “Live Room” in Saltaire. it has been amazing to share the emotion from performers and audience alike about being back to live performances. Martin Simpson was almost lost for words at his first gig for over 18 months. While Turkish singer Olcay Bayir and her band, were performing what should have been the final gig of an extensive Arts Council supported tour, but was in fact the only surviving date due to COVID. To add insult to injury the band were stuck on the M1 for several hours, arriving just in time to put on two terrific sets.

Any chance of Ese and band coming to Yorkshire in the near future?

1 Like

Hopefully next year @Magpie. The Alabama 3 are playing in Holmfirth and Leeds in April next year on the Divine Intervention tour.

1 Like

Ese And The Vooduu People in E17…quick summation on the night bus home.

Very solid funk set by the band before Ese arrived (lost again, lol) and a set that turned into a stormer once she did…

WHAT A BAND!!!

The songs have developed such power live.
Grenfell Blues in particular is a monster.

Second studio album is at the top of my most wanted list!

And lovely to see @TheKevster after, what, a year and a half :beers:

3 Likes

Max Richter and his ensemble at the Crystal Palace Bowl this evening. First half was ‘Infra’ and then they performed ‘Voices’ - incredibly moving live. Amazed at the number of young people at a (neo-) classical concert

2 Likes

Crispyduck. I was sat down close to the screen on the RHS of your photo nearer the stage. TBH I know very little about Max Richter, but enjoyed Infra, Voices less so. I thought the sound was pretty so so, although outdoor gigs are always probably a challenge. Might have been a function of where I was sat, although for Infra I was stood at the rail at the front. What was the sound like for you?

Small world! Like you , I preferred Infra to Voices. Voices was quite simplistic and too much obvious melancholy piano and violin. Sound was good from where I was. I assume you joined insane queues for food?

We went with a couple who were there the previous night. Wisely they suggested we cram as much food into our mouths at a restaurant in Crystal Palace beforehand so we avoided the queues. Whilst I could not disagree with any of the sentiments from the spoken sections of Voices, after a while it felt a bit like being hit repeatedly over the head with a rubber mallet. I think i prefer a little more subtlety.

1 Like

Just back from End Of The Road festival - it remains my absolute favourite festival. Brilliant food, people, beer, ambience, music selection and proper camping with space. It also reliably has the best weather of any UK festival - this is the view of the festival from my tent on Saturday evening:

In me and my brother’s view there were 4 outstanding performances:

Probably the best performance of whole event was Little Simz - although it was early Sunday evening it was probably biggest crowd but definitely most engaged. Great music and amazing performance and energy.

Not far behind was The Comet Is Coming -genuinely exhilarating and thrilling. Shabaka Hutchings is such a talent.

Hot Chip really know how to do a festival set and didn’t put a foot wrong. Great cover versions of Sabotage by The Beasties and Dancing in the Dark by The Boss (which then morphed into All of my Friends by LCD Sound system)

Final act on the Garden Stage last night was Richard Dawson and it was the perfect end to the festival. A genuine musical eccentric but utterly brilliant.

Close runners up:

Sleaford Mods did exactly what you expect and I love them for it

Although a last minute guest slot booking, Damon Albarn brought a full band plus strings. Mainly in ‘ Sad Damon’ mode but a lovely set and finished with a beautiful version of This is a Low

Great set from Jane Weaver with lots from Flock.

Honourable mentions:

Teleman
Black Country, New Road
Shirley Collins & The Lodestar Band
Katy J Pearson
Billy Nomates
Junior Brother
Jim Ghedi

Biggest disappointment:

Stereolab - dull

PS The cost of the weekend ticket to see all of this music would have bought me 0.4 of a groundARAY

5 Likes

Royal Blood tonight. First gig for me in 18 months. Awesome. And great stripes worn by the drummer :blue_heart::white_heart::blue_heart::white_heart:

1 Like

Steve Hackett at the Cambridge Corn Exchange last night playing Seconds Out.
Delayed from last year but well worth the wait, excellent.

IMG_1352

IMG_1357

7 Likes

Scritti Politti. Birmingham Town Hall 22 Sept.

Marvellous to have live music back & Greens voice was in fine fettle.

1 Like

My first gig since the pandemic last night: Nerina Pallot at the Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth. I’ve seen her several times now. This time she performed solo. Wonderful. So nice to be back and enjoying live music.

Next week Eddi Reader at Emsworth.

That looks like a really good festival with a great line-up!

1 Like

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis @ The Sage Gateshead (THE best sounding venue in the UK!).
4th row dead centre, crappy iPhone shot. Absolutely superb gig, both well on form. Going to see them again tomorrow at Stockton via a FREE ticket!

5 Likes

The Lathums last night in Manchester,they won’t be appearing at small venues for long,superb.

Saw them at Victorious Festival. Just excellent.

1 Like

Hello from across the pond. For something different: We just saw Pat Metheny, Side Eye, at Jazz Ally in Seattle. Dinner, a bottle of wine, a table about 40 ft from the stage and some great music in a fairly intimate venue. Vaccination cards required at entrance.

3 Likes

Good past memories of seeing Stanley Turrentine at Jazz Alley.