What happens if there is a network failure during an ota software update?

The current Unitis and NC boxes use over the air (ota) software updates.

What happens if the network/internet fails during the process?

ATB, J

Can the updates be done at the owners choice?

Nothing. The update only starts applying if the download completes.

1 Like

Depends how well the code is written. Properly written code recognises the interruption on restart and starts again. Badly written code crashes and bricks the device.

1 Like

I don’t believe any device will brick due to simple network interruption. Power interruption during firmware flashing maybe.

Updates are delivered as files which must be downloaded, then unpacked, then validated (hopefully) before being loaded in. Flashing of firmware while a file is still being retrieved is not going to happen.

Exactly… a network can always be interrupted, it’s not an assured flow of data. Power failure during flashing the code, ie the new image is already downloaded and being written into memory is the riskier aspect. Again well written code can often manage failure here, but it is riskier.

And nor do I as that’s not what I said. That said, if you read up the history of Apple devices bricking on update Apple initially claimed it was an unfortunate firmware issue. Turned out to be flawed software. Suffice to say Apple devices bricking on update nowadays is a very rare thing in consequence of that discovery.

1 Like

My question was prompted by my NC system’s behaviour during the recent vTuner outage where the softwares error handling, ie no vTuner response, left a lot to be desired……

Therefore, there are undoubtedly some concerns over the ‘quality’ of the software……

Or am I missing something?

ATB, J

The behaviour when vTuner is unavailable is simply poor coding - any network operation on any device should utilise a set timeout for response and deal with failure accordingly.

However the good news is that firmware updates are different and naim do have a lot of devices which exhibit no issues here.

The firmware will first be downloaded to the device and verified before being applied. Network loss during the download means it will simply be resumed or retried.

As above, the most “dangerous” phase here is application of firmware to device - for instance power blip could cause problems.

But nowadays devices would be expected to deal with that too, so no more bricks!

2 Likes