What have I done? New NDX2 & XPS-DR in the house

I started a thread a few weeks back wondering if a SuperCap DR would benefit my SN2, as I had a chance to get the PSU from a good friend at an unbeatable offer. So I went to pick it up to audition it and he springs on me how after so many years he’s decided to go full-on with a different secondary system (all tubes) and streaming platform. He’s owned Naim for as long as I can remember, dating back to Olive.

In addition to the SCDR, he lets me take home his NDX2 and XPS-DR to compare to the ND5 XS2, Chord Qutest and Hynes LPS combo I currently use. He tells me if I like it better he’d sell those at a great price as well. I had my doubts, as I already auditioned the NDX2 at my dealer’s and came away with the ND5 XS2, but…different system and space.

After several days of switching components in and out, then listening to each iteration with source material I’m pretty familiar with, I started doing some math, trying to conjure up ways to make a purchase of at least two of these boxes.

I’ll make this relatively short: I started with the SCDR on the SN2 and discovered that there was a generalized ‘lift’ to the sound, but ultimately for the cost this juice just wasn’t worth the squeeze over the HiCap DR already in the system. As many have predicted, it just didn’t transform anything to a next-level, afford greater insight into the music or provide any of the typical audio accolades (more texture, separation, wider/deeper soundstage, etc.) as I had hoped. I didn’t bother leaving it in for the next phase, as I knew I couldn’t afford all three boxes if I liked the next combo…

After substituting the ND5 XS2/Chord with the NDX2 and XPS-DR, I let it bed-in with some Radio Sputnik for a day and sat down for an evening/night of serious listening. What’s interesting about the comparison when it’s all said and done is that I undoubtedly prefer the Chord presentation, which to me is precisely transparent; each layer of the recording, the musicians, the instruments, the recording venue—they’re all in their own space, clearly delineated and effortless in how each is perceived, yet flow as a whole.

That said, the NDX2/XPS-DR combo did something the Chord/ND5 as transport couldn’t, and that was have this almost analog/vinyl presentation to it. In my system and room, it brings many of the positive aspects I love about the Chord, but with the additional benefit of lending serious ‘weight’ to the sound. This weight is what I love about vinyl, and is an attribute that is difficult to parce when discussing the qualities of digital vs analog to a non-vinyl individual. The Chord sound is very ‘etched’, almost perfectly carved out and allows one to ‘see’ what each part of a musical piece is doing, nearly all at once. When achieving this it lends this sense of airiness and nimblemness to it that is quite pleasing. However, with the Naim boxes, it owns less of this general quality but fills in the ‘airy’ gaps (those spaces between the overall presenatation, for lack of a better description) with an unmistakable ‘weight’ to it that fills the room better; almost envelopes you. It is really quite something—recording after recording, genre after genre.

So I repeated another listening session, then another and decided to sell-off the ND5 XS2/Chord and some other cables and ancillaries that I’ll no longer need in order to fund my latest change. My friend is too kind and offered them up to me at a price I just cannot turn down, and I’ll only really be about $1.2K lighter. I only wish I could keep the SCDR for a future separates upgrade that I’m certain will happen a few years from now. Maybe someday I’ll even be able to afford a Chord Hugo TT & M-Scaler (which I what I’ve always really wanted to try) and add it to the mix. One can dream, but for now I am ecstatic with the NDX2 & XPS-DR. They lend quite a musical experience to an already very good SN2 Integrated. What’s great is that my SN2 and NDX2 are both 2019s, too (with the XPS a 2018)…I’m a nerd that way.

Overall, I am more than pleased with the decision. I could’ve just purchased the NDX2, but the XPS-DR, I felt, is a must at the very least for a machine like this. It just makes the streamer create images that are that much more tangible in a room. I cannot stress this enough. It is a valuable addition to this particular product. If I had to pay full price for a new one, I’d still feel the same about it, but I’d have to forgo it begrudgingly until funds allowed. Unfortunately, it would bother me, though, and would likely compromise my enjoyment. If you don’t compare with vs without, then you’d never know what it lends, but after having the PSU paired, you really see how it vaults an already wonderful streamer into a higher level of the atmosphere compared to where it stands. Thanks all for letting me share the experience!

Here’s my Naim connection: XPS-DR > NDX2 > HiLine > SN2 < HC DR

23 Likes

I ran that configuration for a couple of years and it is one fantastic system. Recently I picked up a new NAC 282 and used it with my SN2. I was planning to run the configuration for 6 months but my dealer received a used 250 DR in the shop and so I traded in my SN 2 to complete the upgrade. The XPS DR > NDX 2 is a great front end for the 282/250 and the Hi-Cap moved from the SN 2 to the 282.

Time and patience and the pieces fall into place…

5 Likes

Thanks @jsawyer09 for taking the time to write this up - it is much appreciated. I run an NDX 2 through a SN 2 and am just enjoying this very musical combination for now. Before adding a HiCap DR I’m certain I’d like to audition an XPS DR next, maybe in the new year. I’m very happy with my gear but it’s helpful to hear how in your experience a power supply benefits an already excellent streamer.

1 Like

I’ve followed your system for some time and have appreciated your insight/journey. You’re at where someday I’d like to be. :grin:

3 Likes

Glad to read that review and to see that not all prefer the Chord presentation.
I have similar experience, as I found Chord dacs ( Hugo 2 and Dave) more detailed, cleaner and airier, but lacking the weight and organic propulsive sound of Naim.

5 Likes

My pleasure! I was quite excited to share, but I’m sure I simply don’t do justice to describing things well enough. Your comparison as to which you’d like to move forward with first—the HC DR or XPS-DR—will be interesting, not just to me but the forum as well. I’d say the two insofar as what they bring to their respective components are equidistant in importance, if that makes sense. IMO, the HiCap really does improve (and I do not ever use that term lightly) the SN2’s performance in every aspect. I’d likely say that for the XPS-DR as well, but maybe less evangelically or even enthusiastically. Difficult to say just why, but it could be because I place a lot of importance on amplification, while many here are ‘source-first’. I get why, but I’ve always thought get the speakers and amplification right and things just ‘happen’ with little effort. Historically, I’ve held on to amps/speakers I’ve enjoyed far longer than any source, regardless how good it’s been. They always seem to be on a rotation in some respect, be it turntable, cartridge, phono…or CD player/streamer. That’s just me, though.

1 Like

Exactly spot on. There’s just no mistaking their presentations, and you’ve succinctly expressed why.

1 Like

This is also really helpful! Based on your advice maybe I’ll demo both in the new year and make a decision with what to go with first. I don’t think I could stretch to doing both at the same time! But I will share my impressions with the forum when the time comes. My thinking was indeed based on source first - as well as my excellent dealer’s advice. Thanks!

1 Like

Obligatory photo as I type…
NDX2

10 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

What a nice write up of your experiences. The NDX2 and Supernait do make for a very nice simple system.

Looking at your photo it’s not clear how high your stand is, but I found that putting the streamer above the amp makes it easier to keep the Burndy off the floor, though it still needs a loop in it. Have you set up system automation yet? It would mean you can control the SN volume and inputs using the NDX2 remote or the Naim app.

2 Likes

Thanks HH!
You’re right. Nearly as simple as it gets.
I use the IsoBlue rack system. So far I have six shelves with the seventh bottom-most serving as the base where my PS Audio Stellar Power Regenerator resides. The Burndy actually doesn’t have an issue in this configuration. Both it and the HiLine are free-flowing without touching other cables/floor. As for system automation, yes. It was pretty simple, as was the initial setting it up–less than five minutes or so. It found my network and I was off. Only thing it didn’t do in the app was save my initial Internet Radio presets, but fifteen minutes of going back and finding them/identifying what I had before by country, and everything’s golden. No big deal. Honestly, I rather like the remote (I know many think it’s not as good as the NARCOM).

1 Like

Excellent, all good to go then. Happy days.

1 Like

A great write up thank you and an explanation that explains why I love Naim so much. I had the same system for a few years and it’s a lovely spot in the Naim range and the NDX2 and XPS DR will take you a long way up the Naim ladder in the future if you want to go there. The NDX2 is, I think, the jewel in the system.

5 Likes

Thank you, @Mike_S, and I’ve followed your system as well. I agree with you that I feel more ‘future-proofed’ now than with the others, which accounts for something if one is going to stay in the Naim ecosystem, which is one thing I know I will be doing.

1 Like

Done now but you could have kept your current streamer and auditioned the M-Scalar on the Qutest. Would have given you all the analog presentation, weight and more.

I tried the NDX2 with the Qutest and the DAC was too much but the streamer only intermittently engaging. Settled on an Innuos with a TT2.

3 Likes

I had thought of that, actually. You are correct. I think much of the decision resided in the fact that it was owned by a very good friend and I knew the condition it would be coming from; that, and the price for the pair really was a large factor, too.
Ultimately, I really do find the sound to be quite affecting and engaging in a way that reminds me of some of the older, more fondly remembered Naim-only setups I’ve had in the past. It does so little wrong and so much right. Regardless, you’re spot-on. I know me, so when the Integrated goes and I return to separates, that may very well be the time I can revisit the Chord. Who knows?

@frenchrooster I recently got a Chord Mscaler. I’ve been using it with a Chord Qutest. The Mscaler adds a lot of gravitas, body and scale without bloat. I’ve got the Hugo TT2 on order and I have a feeling it’ll be wonderful and endgame digital for me.

I understand how some might find the Qutest slightly lacking in some areas. Not sure how much an Mscaler is in the UK but that would be a strong upgrade for anyone wanting to build up a Chord digital front end.

Additionally I also found the Chord gear reacts very favorably to excellent cables. The Qutest is one of those rare audio products that’s in someways too cheap for its own good.

3 Likes

For more informed decisions listening to lots of options is, of course, the right way — but sometimes listening to his gut is better. You loved what the Naim streamer and PSU did, and you got it for a fantastic price from a good friend — you are happy and enjoy your system. What more can one ask for? If you feel for a different flavour, you might sell with little or no loss. I think you made a great decision.

10 Likes

Well said @Naim_The_Dragon, really. Thanks for that. That is another point you’ve raised. If I ever did move on to another streaming solution, I’d likely make money on this, so long as the Naim duo retained its value as it has historically been apt to do.

1 Like