What have I done!?

Old, old, no service, but also no crackles or pops.

Yesterday I slotted a NAP 300 DR in place of my 250DR.

I know these are both DR models but I haven’t experienced what you are seeing, in fact exactly the opposite.

Everything is more natural, there is a lightness of touch and subtlety but also my speakers sound like they have grown larger, much larger in fact. Get the system angry with teh right music and it kicks hard, really hard!

I used to have the Spendor A5’s and drove them with a NAP200 (NDX, 282, HiCap). I was contemplating a 250 non DR but was advised against it by a dealer as he said that it would be too warm for the Spendors and it would spoil the synergy. The non DR 300 had a reputation of being voiced more like a 200 and the old 250 was a much warmer. Maybe this is what you experiencing.

@bruss Have you considered trying the Squeezebox Touch in place of the Duet to see if you hear any difference? “Back in the day”, the Duet was considered to have an inferior digital output to the Touch (and is also limited to 48kHz vs 96 for the Touch). Indeed, a small industry built up around re-clocking between squeezeboxen (sic :slight_smile: ) and dacs.

As others have here, would put my chips on your digital source assuming, of course, that digital is a primary source for you. The Duet is the entry point and the Qutest can only do so much with that input; weaknesses will be exposed down the chain, progressively so as you gain more insight through upgrades. Again, imho.

(For reference, I’ve previously had SB3, Touch and Sonos Connect fronting various digital setups I’ve gone through. None have matched the times I’ve auditioned Naim streamers.)

Thanks, I’m just playing NJ with the Naim unitiserve at 24/192 through the Qutest.

Not sure what you mean by vindicate? I advocate as soon as possible getting the best speakers (to the listener’s ears) that the listener can get, provided the amp is able to provide a reasonable level of control, and provided the source is of a decent standard:

A Hugo or equivalent can happily be source to extremely good speakers (e.g PMC MB2).

I haven’t heard, but based on another current thread it even seems possible that the Audioquest Cobalt DAC might aquit itself well in that role.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I missed that earlier. Maybe the 300 is more revealing of the Qutest.

Now playing Forcione/Haden and I’m having to turn it up a tad to hear the depth of what’s going on. Almost Nait 2/Kan kind of feel and clarity but havng to listen out for what I know is there.

Maybe the 300 is off send it in to get the bias checked and dc offset

1 Like

Yes,Ithink I will get the 300 serviced and then see.

That is exactly my experience going from 250 to 300…the speakers seem to expand, but it was the subtle touches that were wonderful that sold me on it. A gem in the amp range for the money.

An NDS with 555PS or NDX2 with XPSDR/ 555PS will be an ideal streaming source for the 252/300.

I would keep the 300 and upgrade the sources.

Then look at speakers if you feel you need to change them. They may well sound really good.

As for the deck a P8 will be fantastic and a damned fine source with your kit.

2 Likes

No. They won’t ever sound good. They are dreadful.

1 Like

OK, thats that theory out the window then… :wink:

What’s your problem with the Spendor A5 speakers? They get great reviews!

1 Like

Why not Magico M5, 552/ Nap 500 dr X 2, and Chord Hugo as source?
Or Harbeth SL5, 552/500, Nd555/ twin ps?

I choose blindly the second option, anytime.

It’s perhaps the main reason.

1 Like

So it’s not the speakers then? :slight_smile:

Having heard them, I could never understand that. I’m with HH on this one - boring and disjointed is how I would rate them. The great reviews do mean they should be fairly easy to move on to someone that has read about A5s without listening to them :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I quoted one I had heard, not based on guesswork as your response. Another I have heard is Hugo into B&W 802D2, where nothing suggested the source was inadequate, though the speaker was just not as good as the PMC MB2.

It is very possible your first option would sound good, though I don’t know because I don’t know what the Magicos sound like. It is also possible that your second system may sound good, but I doubt it would sound superb to my ears, however as I haven’t heard the Harbeths this is only guesswork based on their design and reviews - I might love or hate their character (ditto the M5s)…

Lol tell us what you really think Lolol
God Bless you HH !!!