What Hifi? Awards 2020 - Well done Naim!

I agree, their website is awful and uses obsolete tech (flash) with a little button to engage html5 which is also pants. It’s 5 or 6 years out of date. I just bought a pair of their D2Rs which are FAB!, but the brochure I was given by the dealer is an embarrassment. The current advertising is also not good and it’s perhaps as well we don’t see it too often.
The product is terrific but the marketing is rubbish and doesn’t do the speakers justice. Think how well they’d do if they tried. Naim advertising by comparison is focused.
I must point out at this point I work in the advertising photography industry and produce images for very well known British and international companies so I have a bit of perspective here.

3 Likes

Why 2020 awards when we have months left? Reviewers go for holiday November December? :sunglasses:

haha, Anything that says or implies 2020 is over is good for me!

4 Likes

Well done Naim for winning so many awards. Taking the long view I think that a brave decision was taken at Naim to develop a range of products (Uniti) that were very different from previous product in terms of what they did, convenience and positioning in the market. That gamble clearly paid off and, with a very good reputation established + continuous development, Naim are in an enviable position as far as other manufacturers are concerned.

Ref WHF, I first started reading HiFi mags in the 90s and WHF was the magazine that 16 year old me learned a lot from. However, I would say that it was the more technical, descriptive and developed reviews in rival magazines that actually enabled to ‘understand’ HiFi more. I would also say that my perception of the position of Naim in the 90s/early 2000s was as a brand with a single minded ‘philosophy’ toward the sound that the products produced - not always appealing to a broad market. Manufacturers such as Arcam and Cyrus seemed to have broader appeal. Nowadays I would argue that this has reversed - Naim is purchased by a wide range of people (provided they have the money) whereas Arcam and Cyrus seem to have gone a bit off the radar.

1 Like

Certainly, but not now as my funds are stretched after spending like 40,000 on hifi this year, most of it going to Naim :slight_smile: Everything you see on my system list was added since January except for the speakers… so I will have to live with the existing speakers a bit longer. When I have recovered, be assured that the Focals will be on my shortlist, no question. (Though not all that easy as my regular Naim dealer is not convinced, rightly or wrongly, and does not regularly carry them).

But all this aside, I never doubted that they can sound great, it was just a question out of technical interest, if this was ever seen as an issue or whatever, maybe something that might change with ongoing cooperation between the two companies, and so on. “It sounds great and I don’t know why” is a valid reason to buy hifi, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the “why” becomes less interesting.

Maybe it says something for my state of mind that I read this as Prozac…

2 Likes

…moot?

I listen to ProAc’s so I don’t have to take Prozac! :grinning:

5 Likes

That’s more than I spent over my lifetime, despite mostly buying new and having the most expensive HiFi of anyone I know. I must be doing something wrong…

Well I did not spend all that much on it in decades past and it was about time :slight_smile:

This is another thing, why are speakers above a certain pricepoint designed to be even more of an obtrusive item than (large) floorstanders are by their very nature?

Focal, B&W, Kef, they all do this. Does everyone with enough money to buy them also need them to be a centerpiece in their livingroom?

1 Like

Well done Naim! That said, it’s a shame NDX2 isn’t there. I agree with @HouseholdNaim that I wonder if there is anything better than Atom for over £1,000. I can think of at least two - Star and Nova! And Focal speakers or Magico didn’t get a mention.

I know it is foolish but I kind of wish that Naim would partner with one of the awesome British brands like ProAc or Spendor. It might even help ProAc to freshen up its aging website. @Fifty-Fifty, did you see the ProAc website just a few years ago, it was much much worst! I was flabbergasted noticing ProAc didn’t even exist in wikipedia back in 2006 so I created that page.

Go Naim! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

I think they assume that if you have that kind of cash you probably have a dedicated listening room anyway. It seems to affect all price levels though. When I was looking for speakers around £1000 a couple of years ago I struggled to find something that was truly ‘domestically acceptable’, in other words would look OK either side of my fireplace and which my wife would tolerate… Some of those things look more like washing machines than speakers and seem to work at their best several feet from the wall! Rega RX-Three in the end - look good, sound good.

But if it ends that would mean 2021

1 Like

A decent website can make a brand. For instance, when I was auditioning speakers in the run up to my ProAc purchase my dealer suggested a speaker I hadn’t heard of before. A new floor stander from central Europe not yet marketed in this country.
It seemed well made and sounded pretty decent, but a google of the make had a very poor primitive site that destroyed any confidence a customer would have. He lost that sale and admitted that the manufacturer wasn’t helping him with it’s awful site.

Naim, I’m sure will take advantage of these awards and promote magazine ads and social media. Particularly social media as the awards are excellent exposure (no pun intended). I’m not sure ProAc will. Pity.

2 Likes

For the record, ProAc does make really lovely speakers and I won’t exactly call the ProAc website awful. Just that flash is behind time and you have to enable flash to even open it.

Playing the devil’s advocate, one should be careful trusting fancy website thinking it would be a well established company with fantastic products and logistic backing. It may be me in my PJs and thongs working in my shabby little attic polishing old junk selling them as new online.

I am kidding and sorry for putting that image in your head. :rofl:

1 Like

So well deserved! I have 3 Mu-so Qb 2nd generation. A amazing all in one system with excellent sound.

I was perhaps exaggerating, but it doesn’t compare well with other speaker manufacturers sites. As a top speaker (and they are) they deserve a top site. Wordpress sites are not exactly difficult and can look lush. I think it probably comes down to enthusiasm. I note that the last entry on their Facebook page was 2017.

3 Likes

Hi Clare, good see you here and sharing your experience, in addition to celebrating awards for naim.

I was piqued to have a squint; Flash is blocked on this LT but a link in the top right labelled ‘Open in HTML’ did the trick. It’s not great, but not so bad as some that exist…