What Hifi? Awards 2022 - Well done Naim!

Ditto…

No desire to move up at all.

2 Likes

As a recent owner of the above - they made the right decision there - amazing piece of kit.

3 Likes

Well said.

While I’m not a massive fan of WHF, it was very nice to see the Sumiko Rainier MM cartridge get a nod. I picked one of these up nearly 2 years ago for my deck before anyone had even heard of it and it’s certainly a superb cart for the money. And they reviewed it using a Naim phono stage too!

1 Like

Interesting that EISA awards go generally to speaker makes I have never heard of and non-British electronics.

I have no idea about the distribution of the EISA awards, but aren’t there simply way more brands that aren’t British vs those that are?

Deserved for the XS3. I had one for a while hooked up with a HCDR. I know a lot of people here would say that doesn’t make sense, but the HCDR was a purchase with an eye on the future and it sounded shockingly good. Hard to argue against it for a simple system, even the built in phono stage sounded good imo. When I sold it on, all I thought was how the guy that bought it had made a cracking purchase at the used price.

3 Likes

Well said.

Actually, I’d forgotten that it was a review of the Nait 5i in WHF in 2009 that started my Naim journey. Having never paid the brand much attention, having an affordable amp with a casing design I didn’t find off putting (I never liked Olive cases, then or now) was intriguing.

Once a Google or two threw up Tom Tom’s website, it was only a matter of time before I had a s/h CD5i, then an intended Nait 5i purchase became a 122X and a 150X… then the inevitable upgrades started!

But it all started with a humble WHF review of an amp that I never actually bought and the resulting satisfaction with my system means I’ve barely bought a single hifi mag in over a decade.

Mark

3 Likes

I purchased a Nait 5si last year new and a used ND5XS on eBay. These are described as “entry level” by Naim. My experience of these products is that “entry level Naim” should not be confused with “budget”. This is high end equipment that just happens to be a bit more affordable. If I had to sell my main system, I would be more than happy to live with these day to day. Good on Naim for keeping the door open to more budget conscious audiophiles.

4 Likes

I agree!
552/PS552 is a beast in every Aspect of SQ

Absolutely spot on

The 552 is not in my financial reach but thank goodness naim makes the Uniti range, Naits and Musos which are superb hi fi which I could easily live with permanently

I still to this day miss my first Nait XS very much

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.