What is it a about Naim?

It happens not only with Naim. At least with Naim, the upgrades are less painful as PSU purchases would make one’s NAIT still usable, or a pre-amp purchase would make one’s NAIT power amp section still usable until such time one gets a dedicated power amp. As to more serious upgrades say from a Nait to the 500 series, well that’s another story.

I used to be a loyal customer for an American brand manufacturing tube pre and power amps. “Upgrades” on their gear were frequent back in the 80s and 90s. Pre amp models would have A, B, C, or VER 1, VER 2, VER 3, or Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, in a short period of time. Imagine, 4-5 revisions in a span of 5 years.

There were no forums or social media back then. Audiophiles would gather in houses and or audio stores and talk about the “need” to upgrade their pre amps because a new version has come up, and selling their 1 or 2 year old gear at 40% to 50% (if lucky) just to get the “latest and greatest”…. Geez, I would hear some of these guys sometimes say all these stories just to justify their need to upgrade. It’s as if changing their pre amp was just like changing their underwear :joy:

Although I would admit that some revisions did have audible improvements on some of these revisions, I for one did not automatically change gear simply because I was already happy with my current system. I was rational enough to know that my pre amp did not deteriorate in performance simply because there was a new version of it. I had enough discipline to say No, I will not be swayed to get the latest version. Although the temptation was there :joy:

The reason why me and my friends still loved this brand was of course the “sound” of the brand. After sales service was top notch. Whenever I send a fax message to the company, rest assure that a fax reply would come back the following day from none other than the founder / owner / circuit designer of the company.

I no longer buy from this brand for many reasons, but I still have one of their early 80s tube pre-amps. It’s a “B” version. Yes, I did not get tempted in changing to the higher versions which went up to “F” in a span of 5 years.

The key is being contended with what one has. One has to realize that it’s like a dog running after its tail. It’s a never ending story. Upgrade now, and expect to have this itch again after some time. But yes, life is short, so whatever floats one’s boat…

Upgrading after a few months or years I think has to do with getting used to sound…

At a certain point you no longer hear what you heard like in the beginning…

As far as I’m concerned there are two directions:

upgrading
or
downgrading

The first direction is especially central here on the forum and fits in with Naim’s design philosophy…

The second direction, however, also gives an excellent improvement of the music experience in my opinion. Listen a few months to a cheap/simple installation. Get used to it and then after a while I will turn on my naim set again…

and then be surprised how good this sounds…

An advantage of the second direction is that it is considerably cheaper…

1 Like

Or not doing anything.

1 Like

Of course!

1 Like

I’m moving towards the last few changes . I’m content with my integrated amp. Cables and power stuff. I’ve bought new speakers that have yet to arrive. All I’m all I’m fairly confident that I’ll be done soon

That’s the thing. Putting a system together is a creative process. One that engages many facets.
Once that process has been completed - a system assembled - the creative urges may well be left wanting.
Like a painter inspired by the next blank canvas.

I suspect Naim supports the forum not only to allow enthusiasts to wax lyrical but also to drive FOMO

It had that effect on me until I downsized but as a recovering addict I now observe without partaking :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is probably a law against that :rofl:

1 Like

The naim lego apporoach tohifi means that more people may end up in highend land than with other manufacturers where you lose a lot when selling last years model. With naim you can stack up and resell used lego bricks.
Then there is this forum really addictive since it seems to be made out of many users who are really knoledgable about many things, and the moderation keeps ssstupidity to a minimum.

Claus

1 Like

Only for those who buy on latest product release, rather like being a follower of fashion rather than being on a developmental hifi journey - which may be the case with some (on here and not), but in my experience it is more normal to upgrade only to distinctly higher level products after a period of several years… (Even then, I’m not sure about the worn ‘“normal”!)

I enjoy reading the occasional love ins.
The old forum had Vitus and of course chord.
The new forum has had Marten, Tablette signature 10 and recently a Luxman love gush.

1 Like

TJ, you forgot the great Lavry love-in…

But seriously, I think that what happens is that somebody new to Naim gets to hear a bit of Naim kit in a demo or some such situation and all just clicks for them - they just get what it’s all about, and it’s really exciting. Naturally they then want to find out more about the brand and want to discover for themselves how much better it gets from there.

I recently posted a thread here to draw attention to an excellent piece written by Jonathan Gorse re. Naim. I think his early experience of discovering Naim resonates for many here;

2 Likes

I suppose I am the last person to ask, this is my first sortie into the world of serious hi fi, and when I buy audio equipment it usually remains untouched for twenty years. I am seriously pleased with my (low end) Unitilite, that I purchased almost 10 years ago. When I come to upgrade one very big pro is that the CD player failed within a couple of weeks of purchase. I came clean and admitted that building work filled the room with plaster dust, and that this was no doubt the cause of the failure, but the machine was still replaced free of charge with no quibble. A con is the 500 track limit to Tidal playlists. As things stand I think I know where I will be heading when replacement time comes along in another 10 years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.