What is on your speakers?

Dust covers - my speakers are gloss black finish and a complete nightmare to keep looking clean and dust free. Hence I bought a pair of black cloth covers which work a treat, albeit don’t look the best!

Peter

Looks like Zizu (Zinedine Zidane) to me, but ‘jailed’ inside a head massage device (probably after head-butting another Italian defender)? :smile:

Correct, this guy is Zidane

1 Like

I too have a carbon monoxide monitor on one of my speakers, mine is on the right side - yours?

It was on the left, speakers now in a different room.

What kind of speakers risk emitting carbon monoxide?

A dust sheet as they are in the Conservatory whilst the lounge is being redecorated they will be gathering dust from next Tuesday when my dealer has reinstalled the system.

Log burning ones :wink:

1 Like

Do yourself a favour with the carbon monoxide alarms they should be installed no more than a metre from the ceiling.
I reckon by the time it comes down to speaker height you’ve heard your last. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

yup, just dust here too.

1 Like

Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air so fills up from the floor. You need the sensor at floor or just above.

Roog, where is the photo, ah?

What kind of dust sheet? Difficult to understand without a photo.

Nothing on top of speakers that might buzz, rattle or vibration wear. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

BS EN 50292:2013 states that carbon monoxide alarms should be fitted in:

• CO alarms should be placed in the same room as fuel-burning appliances (either wall or ceiling mounted) – such as an open fire, gas cooker or boiler
  • Rooms where people spend the most time – such as living rooms
  • Additional alarms can be located in bedrooms, relatively close to the breathing zone of the occupants.
  • Any room that has a flue running through it
  • They should be at least 300 mm from any wall (for ceiling mounted alarms)
  • At least 150 mm from the ceiling, above the height of any door or window (forwall mounted alarms)
  • Between 1 and 3 m (measured horizontally) from the potential source of CO.

Where I live it is now compulsory to have all of there devices interlinked as well.
I just spent quite a few quid to keep us safe. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I have a strict rule about nothing on the speakers, but unfortunately it is not universally accepted by all those who share my living space…

19 Likes

My SL2s have a curved top so hard to get anything to stand on them (not that I’d want to).

Just an old sheet nothing fancy can’t wait for the system to be up and running next week.

1 Like

Actually it’s the other way round: ”Although it is thought that CO is denser than air, CO is actually barely lighter than air.” Carbon monoxide detector placement

2 Likes

Carbon monoxide is slightly less dense than air slightly ‘lighter’ than air), however in practice other than close to source of very high concentration it diffuses and mixes with air, so the concentration higher in the room may be only fractionally more if at all - and alarms have a built-in safety margin meaning you’re not going to die instantly when ot reaches the trigger concentration, and unless the concentration is increasing rapidly it is likely to take many hours after the alarm triggers before any adverse effect.

The reason for such emphasis on alarms is that the gas is completely undetectable by humans, and faulty or inappropriate fossil fuel burning devices can easily produce amounts that indoors can build to lethal concentrations, and the first you’d know, if you are lucky, is awareness of a splitting headache, or collapsing and being found by someone else in sufficient time for treatment.,