What is the deal with vinyl records?

You mean those shiny coasters people used to use to scare birds away?

If I’m honest I never really took to CDs, and certainly never took care of them like vinyl (that was part of the hype).

The best CD source I got was a CD 3.5, it still sounds very good but didn’t challenge the LP12 when I got it.

The LP12 has been upgraded in recent years, I’m not sure if it’s taken the experience forwards or backwards to be honest.

1 Like

Most original lps i could buy or buy sometimes, in Near Mint condition, cost around 50 euros with shipping. But it’s a great moment each time, like for some buying an expensive wine and drink it in appropriate conditions.
Streaming on Tidal or Qobuz is quite vulgar vs that ceremonial. It’s more like drinking a common beer.
You have so many garbages, billions, on that online site. So you spend a lot of time in clicking and clicking.
Then there’s the sound quality. For modern recordings, it’s not a problem, even a great pleasure when you found something valuable. But I don’t understand those liking for example the 60’s jazz or 70’s rock albums and stream them on Tidal. It’s a sacrilege.
Those analog albums deserve a proper turntable, nice phono and cartridge. They sound so much better on lps.
For me the turntable is like a ceremonial, maybe 10% of my listening time. I then stream only locally, the albums that I have bought, often tracks, mostly hires, for nowadays music.
Each time I tried on Qobuz and Tidal online, I had to swim among tones of garbage. Spending more time on clicking than listening.

1 Like

This in a way reflects my thoughts on vinyl resurgence and younger people getting enjoyment/fun from the LPs. Your friend’s system is likely highly capable and bang for buck probably provides far more value than more expensive Regas or other turntables.

It’s all about enjoying the music which I can happily do on very low budget components. When listening to expensive kit we become over analytical.

2 Likes

Conversely, I have found a wealth of wonderful music on Tidal. Often through albums / artists mentioned on this forum :grinning:. I spend much more time listening than clicking. I still like to listen to complete albums rather than chasing tracks from various artists. I have few playlists, but most I have are album based.

That said, I will likely resurrect my old Heybrook TT2 (with Rega RB300 arm) this year to play those LPs (since by 222 has a phono input but my XS 2 didn’t) that I kept from the 70s, 80s and early 90s (nostalgia). But I doubt I’ll buy anything new.

4 Likes

This is, indeed my conclusion as well. I actually also think that a really good vinyl setup can be achieved for considerably less than a streaming set-up that will perform at the same level.

3 Likes

How do you mean exactly? I’ve resisted upgrading my LP12 Valhalla, partly as it sounds very musical and engaging and seems well matched to the my 80’s vinyl collection - effectively it was top spec for that era. I’m just slightly hesitant to change it, yes it might be better in hi-fi terms, but there is something particularly right sounding with the old vinyl, as it is.

1 Like

Was this typo intentional?

3 Likes

Was this typo intentional?

Alternatively, you could fill the glass til it’s half full, and revel in what the new phonostage in the 222 might give you with your serviced Heybrook :slightly_smiling_face:

If you populate your collection with less sought after second hand discs of questionable condition, vinyl is a lot of fun and, if not cheap, affordable.

For nearly 40 years this argument has been going on and will probably still be going on for years to come. At the end of the day there is no winner. You either prefer one or the other.
Personally I listen mainly to vinyl that’s my preference, but I also stream from both local and subscription services. Not withstanding which sounds better because all have there strengths and weaknesses but holding a record cover or CD case in your hands and reading liner notes is something I’d miss if I only streamed.
I picked up a copy of All Things Must Pass last week that the original owner had written notes to himself about why he bought it when he should have bought food. Written notes to his flat mate to stop borrowing his records without permission. These small things make me smile that no download could do.
My wife loves old books again most have small notes on the inside you won’t get that with a kindle. Who remembers photo albums now every snapshot of life is in the palm of our hands.
If everything goes digital and cloud based what will there be for the next generation to cherish.
My two daughters both love physical media eldest vinyl youngest CDs both love books. In there words I want to own my stuff.
So why have we now got a new generation buying hopefully it’s because they’ve found the joy of actually holding something while listening.

6 Likes

Or the third option; you don’t care. I fall into the don’t care category. The debate is tiresome. Do what you enjoy and don’t feel the need to justify it.

There are a lot of really heated debates on a number of topics where people try to illustrate why someone else’s system building or music consuming rationale are wrong. Pointing out some simple facts that may be overlooked is one thing, but let’s all remember that other people aren’t spending your money.

7 Likes

Anyone prefer shellac to vinyl? More environmentally friendly…

3 Likes

Oh gosh that made me chuckle out loud

Wax cylinders are where it’s at for us …

2 Likes

Most albums in the what are you listening thread are rock from the 70’s and 80’s and jazz from the 60’s. My impression at least.
Their place in on a platter.

2 Likes

Glad to not feel myself alone, my friend :smile:

1 Like

Yes. Sorry if a bit rude.

Not intentional. Pros and cons. What “ coins of vinyl “ can mean? I miss something.

Not intentional.
Ah, it has to be written “ tons “, right? In french it’s “ tonnes “.