What is the one hi-fi thing you regret buying?

NAC102

In the mistaken belief it would be an improvement on a 72 :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Mine was an Arcam Solo. It turned out to be an expensive alarm clock for my second home. It was about as exciting as eating sliced white bread with not even any butter on.

2 Likes

In my case it was a used Musical Fidelity A-1 Integrated Amplifier. The sound was quite remarkable, but it spent more time on the repair bench than in my system. I eventually sold it to a friend who experienced some of the same frustration, but he enjoyed it so much when it was working that weā€™re still friends. As for regrets about selling I would have to say a Technics SL-1100a. The fellow I sold it to continues to post Instagram photos and videos of it in use and I canā€™t stop checking in and heaving a sigh. I have a Rega 25 which I enjoy, but the Technics was great for fiddle free, slap on a platter and boogie to the beat evenings.

The original Marantz CD63. Pure gaslight!

My first system from Richer Sounds. Then I started reading the Hi-fi press, doh! I could have done a lot better for the same money.
Still sounded a lot better than the all-in-oneā€™s that my friends at Uni had though.

Yes, strange (at least to me) how many people went in for that kind of thing! I did my research, got the best sounding I could afford. Others either bought the most glitzy looking, or the most integrated - and one ald all theyā€™d ask me what I thought, knowing how good mine sounded and not realising mine cost less than theirs). Sometimes it was hard to find words that wouldnā€™t deflateā€¦

A Sanyo Radio-Cassette was all i could afford and carry to uni.

Audio Technica OC-9 cart, rave reviews, poor clinical sound (replaced my worn out Linn Karma). Saved up for a Troika which took a whileā€¦also the Linn classik Movie Di, worked OK initially but the fan was loud and it broke downā€¦still sits in my wardrobe

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed with @Josaa, sometimes we have to be careful with all the hypes.

1 Like

Although not all my audio purchases were home runs most were at least base hits mixed with a couple bunts and foul balls. That all changed recently when I fell for a fancy website and a self delusional owner and signed on early to own one of the last 35 Onix OA21ā€™s. Living on other side of the planet these were rare to the point that Iā€™d never seen or heard oneā€¦ so pretty much just folk lore. Now I am learning about credit card chargeback policies while watching a guy who couldnā€™t organize a one float parade recess further and further into his bunker.

As Iā€™m writing this Iā€™m listening to some Byrds on my CD5, Nait1 and Spendor 3/5ā€™s and realize no matter how this turns out Iā€™ve had the last laugh.

1 Like

Not technically a regret, but I did buy an A&K DAP for music on the move and almost immediately Iā€™ve not needed to travel on the train. Used once on hols and a couple of times as a source.

Probably could have used the dosh on something more Regularly used.

Tubes are great in guitar amps, though.

1 Like

An Aiwa ADR-something compact cassette player from Comet - just over Ā£200 c.1990 IIRC - one of the players where the head rotated, which turned out to be a hugely unreliable feature in sticking, mis-tracking and generally seizing up.

Was repaired under warranty but never really recovered.

Great when it workedā€¦sadly all too infrequently.

NAKAMICHI CR-3A CASSETTE DECK - one of the first ones assembled in Malaysia I believe. It had multiple quality control issues, that were never quite resolved under warranty- into the box it went and has stayed there. Play/record quality was good when it worked.

Naim ARO
Purchased, when I still had the chance to get one, with the intention of getting an LP12 - The latter never came to fruition, and, for various reasons, isnā€™t likely to, so the ARO sits in its factory sealed box to this day.

Criminal, I know. :anguished:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that an investment, rather than something to regret?

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I bought a DAB bedside alarm radio specifically to hear Danny Bakerā€™s 5L show on Saturday mornings, replacing a very good Sony alarm that had been around since 1991.
The following week he dropped his clanger re the Royal Babee and lost his job.

1 Like

Potentially, but only if you can bring yourself to sell it.

The longer you hang on to it, the more (possibly) it may be worth!(Unless or until the popularity of vinyl wanes.)

Itā€™s a bit catch-22 ; canā€™t currently make use of it, but canā€™t quite bring myself to put it up for sale (just in case I do get an LP12 (however unlikely that is)).