What is your favourite version of Miles Davis “Kind of blue”?

I guess 24/352.8 PCM FLAC would be the highest resolution compatible with Naim (current gen) streamers

This is strange as I’m able to play 32/11k+ PCM WAV on my NDX/nDAC.

I mean the highest compatible resolution download available on the high def tape transfers site

The nDAC can play up to 32/352 via WAV files on a USB stick.
24/192 is the limit if your source is the NDX.

Thanks for the shout out.
I grabbed the DSDs and DXD PCM - Will listen and compare to others at a later date, in a week or so.

1 Like

I will be very interested in your findings. Which DSD resolution did you go for? There are many main stream audio companies such as Naim and dCS who are disregarding DSD 256 and above as there is too little money to be made as they perceive the format as having little interest from the music buying public and there lies the rub - no profit = no interest. Julian Vereker would have boldly gone where his accountant minded followers fear to tread…

1 Like

If you buy the DSD256 you are entitled to all of the different resolutions.

Any version close to the original without all the digital jiggery pokery. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The master they have created is DSD256, same as what MoFi do.
To avoid digital jiggery-pokery you’ll need an original LP :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll dig out my six eye copy :lying_face:

1 Like

Thanks @Guinnless for this explanation. To my ears the increased bit rate (12288 kb/s vs. 9216 kb/s) obtained by converting the 32-bit DSD files to WAV and playing them at 24-bit with my NDX/nDAC really brings extra (analog-like) smoothness to the sound. I will try to play the tracks on a USB stick to experience 32-bit music.

As for my favourite version of KOB I agree with @JazzMan about the SACD MoFi (from 2015). My favourite vinyl version is also the MoFi 45RPM from 2015.

1 Like

DSD256. I got the DXD flac to attempt the speed correction of the first 3 tracks in sotware.

Be careful if you’re ‘downsampling’ to choose your target frequency to be x/2.
This means your 352kHz should be downsampled to 176kHz or 88kHz otherwise you can get unwanted artefacts if you chose 192kHz for example. I have a few DXD albums which Roon correctly downsamples to 24/176.

1 Like

“Freddie Freeloader” is a permanent fixture of my demo music selection. I have a vinyl copy that was produced for the recent ( as in sometime in the last 5 years) Jazz Greats publication.

It is a good issue, but all has the Buzz

I have an earlier CD copy, but I don’t own a CD player anymore so can’t speak to that one🤷🏻‍♂️

I regard this as absolutely one of the greatest albums of the Genre and for me Definitely Miles’ Magnum Opus!

1 Like

It’s one of the few albums that you can listen to critically, or as background music.

1 Like

I have the 45 RPM from Classic Records.

I think they are all good. It is just a matter of how many times you want to rebuy the same music. I think I am done.

I do have a couple of recent high school graduate friends who want to come over and bring the vinyl they want to hear ( Van Halen 1984 was a recent pick and it does sound great. ) KOB they had never heard and they were blown away by it.

1 Like

There is hope for the next generation! lol. I played KOB for my niece and she was enthralled.

May I ask how old your niece is? It’s always good to hear that the ‘yoof’ are listening to sone proper music

1 Like

I have 3 vinyl versions, in order of acquisition

1. CBS UK reissue from 82-84
  2. Classic Records Remaster on 200g Quiex SV-P 33rpm (2001)
  3. MoFi 2x45rpm Ultra Analog (2015) - we now learn as being not so Analog as a DSD based master was used by MoFi

I have 2 versions on the server

1. PCM 24/192
  2. MQA 96
    I can also stream a MQA192 but this only play at 24/96

And preferred - the MoFi 45rpm, followed by the Classic Records then the PCM 24/192 (which is preferred if not wanting to play an LP). But all very very close.

The DSD based processing on the MoFi, doesn’t take from the improved reproduction offered by the increased speed, but the 45 has the disadvantage over the 33 as you up more often.

However given my already choices available decided not to go to the UHQR 33 or even 45 versions.

1 Like

She’s 21. She’s heard of Miles Davis but never really listening to him beyond KOB being background music in a few soundtracks(Runaway bride was on tv). I told her let me really play it for you.

Thanks for the reply.

Good for her, and I trust that she’s growing up with a love of good music. I still don’t know if it was a good idea to inculcate a love for Guns n’ Roses in my elder son!

Do you know, I have no recollection of Miles Davis being used on the soundtrack to ‘The Runaway Bride’! If you had said that it was on Clint Eastwood’s ‘Play Misty For Me’, I’d have believed you without question.

1 Like