What is your favourite year in music and what age were you in that year?

I was lucky. I had three really close pals who had similar tastes (Though one had a bit of a thing for Bert Kaempfert) so we decided that we never bought something one of the others - this meant a little pocket money went a long way.

We still share music nearly 60 years later. Except Mike who has been shocking slack. He’s dead mind, but no slack being given!

My favourite year is 1973, 1974. I was 7 years old, so wasn’t aware of that music of course. I began to listen to music at 18, mostly Dire Straits as my favourite group. But maybe one year later, I discovered soul music and jazz rock. Most of the albums that astonished me were from 1973/1975 years, like the Temptations, Edwin Star, Wilson Pickett, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Joe Henderson, Johnny Hammond Smith, Mahavishnu Orchestra…
I spent so many hours when student in records shops in Paris. It was my best musical period of discovering and enjoying at home and through my walk-man. My hifi system was a very average Denon integrated and CD player, with entry level Focal speakers.

I think I would have to choose 1974, for a combination of it being the year I bought my first ‘real’ hifi (half decent separates to replace a Garrard record player) and having the cash to buy most of my favourite albums from ‘67 to ‘73, as well as some of the good 1974 releases (LLDOB, Pretzel Logic, On The Beach, Autobahn, Feats Don’t Fail Me Now…). Together with a move to Sheffield where I spent 3 very happy years at Uni. made it a vintage year!
Oh, nearly forgot, I was 20.

Had to be 1984 for me. I was 14 and had just received a Sony Walkman for my birthday. I used to listen to it every morning while working on the milk round before school. It was a great time for 80s synth pop and I was young, naive and carefree with my whole life ahead of me.

In the next 10 years I’d joined up and been in Ireland, the Gulf war etc. That walkman and cassettes of 80’s music got me through some interesting times before it finally died !

1 Like

78/79 for me, “discovered” Joy Division and the rest of the factory gang and led me on to Kraftwerk etc and shaped my musical tastes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.