What is your prefered music server?

That’s one of the big reason I do not go for Roon. The price is not an issue (even if it is not cheap) for the quality. But nothing live forever. So I do not know if it is in 5, 10, 15, or 100 years, but if it fail before me, I will have lost all that time with their tag without having improved mine.

Thanks to let usknow this, I have missed the opportunity to extend it. Maybe I should try an another couple of weeks.

1 Like

In my living room I have an Naim DAC (on a 282/250 nonDR), and in my dek, I have a Chord qutest on a SN2. In the 2 kids room, I have no dac, just one TEAC mini-system in each room, and nothing in the bathroom…
So I need 2 “boxes” plug on dac (BNC should be a plus, or classical SPDIF), I need 2 “boxes” plug on analog RCA, and one box with speaker.
Right now, my music is stored in a NAS ( Synology)

What are the strength of Minimserver with classical Music ? (I do listen a lot of classical music)

On my RPi3 systems I use MoOde Audio…seems to work. But then I stream from NAS only, with the occasional foray into iRadio.

Its metadata setup/options/flexibility seem to fit classical needs well, compared to other UPnP servers. This post seems to give a good quick summary:

2 Likes

To add to what @Suedkiez

Once all setup you then have dynamic browsing. E.g.

You could start with Composer, then Orchestra, then select the desired album.

You could start with Orchestra, Composer, Movement

Possibilities are almost endless really.

You can also configure what’s playing display to your endpoint.

I think mine is Album, Orchestra, Conductor

Their website is great for explaining all this.

I favour the simpler to setup & use Asset, OK I don’t have a significant classical library so the need for the better browse features of Minim are not required.
Asset is the perfect software for me with AOR, blues, jazz & world music.

Minim was designed from the off as a server for classical music. I would say that at least half my listening is classical and I have both Asset and Minim. I started streaming with Minim so that may affect my views, but on the whole I find Minim more customisable and the browsing experience more intuitive. The reason for installing Asset is that, unlike Minim, it does have a New Albums feature which I find very useful, but that is available in the latest release of Minim, so I may well give up on Asset. I do think Minim has a steeper learning curve than Asset, though there is a very helpful forum, but for me the investment of time was well worthwhile.

Roger

2 Likes

I went the QNAP/Asset route for my 6K-7K album library and like it well enough. The SQ is pretty great. If I could move to a better SQ option that is less hassle I would. The firmware updates can get old. The Innuos line is interesting but expensive esp if it’s little to no SQ improvement. Roon is too complicated for me. I don’t want to be on a computer for my music if I can avoid it.

1 Like

Is it possible in MinimServer to have several data in one field, separated by a , or ; ? I did that with LMS and it is very powerfull. For example in the field conductor; the tag could be :
Karajan;Berliner Philharmoniker;Anne-Sophie Mutter
And this 3 data are in the database as one.
I did that also with the Genre, with a first Genre, wich is more the equivalent of mood for Roon (like (I put the mood in caps lock to differentiate of the second genre : JAZZ; POP-ROCK; CLASSICAL). In that way, I could also listen into random in a mood style without jumping form a pinao work of Bach to electro or house or rock just after.

I’m the wrong person to ask, I just tried to help out with a short summary of what I’ve been reading on the forum for these past 18 months, because I just remember such things and where to find them again. If you need info about Roon, I’m in a better position to say something useful :slight_smile:

However, this discussion on the minimserver forum seems to be what you need:
https://forum.minimserver.com/archive/index.php?thread-1314.html

Roon have a very good interface. You know what your are listening to (in terms of music, artist, and quality audio format). What prevent me to buy it was two main things :
-you can’t use it at two places in the same time
-you are not the owner of the tag you use. for each song or each field you can chosse if you use roon’s tag or your music’s tag. But (maybe I’m wrong), but you can’t feed your tag with roon’s.
So if you use Roon for 5 years, or 10 years, you are getting use to roon’s tag. If for whatever reason roon is dead or you can’t use it (even if you have paid the lifetime licence), you are completed naked with almost no tag or no good one.
Bluesound is a good product. Convenient and easy to settle. But the sound quality is not stellar. The interface is pretty well build, but, maybe too simple. I missed some feature, like random music (by artist, genre, etc.). I can’t (or at least do not find how to) browse by conductors (only composers which oblige myself to swaps my tags between composer and composers… if it is possible). And the third point is that the component are not so cheap (for example, for my kids the node cost 3 times the price of their audio component). The last borring things is that you can’t set the zoom factor. In particular in the album view this annoy me : For exemple, I have several records of the same piece of work, in particular in classical (symphony or concerto). My way to tag them was to end the name of the album with year and main conductor or artist in brackets like Symphony No. 3 Op. 55 "Eroica (1987-Celibidache). With bluesound, I can’t read the end of the name… so I never know the version I will listen, or I need to click on it to see and launch it. So at least 2 click more I should have done if I was right. I miss also the screen on the touch.
I wasn’t very much in the philosophy to put a lot in the streamer. the streamer are to technological, so there is a always new tech to push you to update it. I prefer to have a (good) pure technological stremer) plug into a very good dac, keep the DAC for a long time, and change more regurlarly the streamer. I realized that I did the opposite : all my squeezebox touch have all seen several DAC. LOL… But where I was right, is that a streamer will lost more financial value with time
When I quit LMS, the user interface was quite dated… but it was very effective. You can control them by remote, by the touch itself, by your phone, your tablet.

Many Thanks for the link

I don’t know what exactly you mean with owner, and maybe you know this, but you can control in detail which tags from your files it shall use, and sometimes use both (and these screenshots are just a part of it)

And as posted before, if you want to leave Roon you can export your music files again from Roon, with Roon adding the info into the file tags that you had added within Roon, or you can export the Roon info separately as a csv or Excel file that other software can use to auto-tag the files.

For me it’s an upside of Roon that it does not go and change my files

1 Like

During my test, I haven’t seen the export function

If I were you I’d bite the bullet and buy a 2nd Roon licence.

I’ve used Roon for about 4 years and love it. Paid for a lifetime membership after my trial period.

I had qnap, synology, innuos, melco, dedicated roon nucleus- SQ wise melco is my personal fav!

Tags in Minimserver can have multiple values. I use this all the time. Eg. Vaughan Williams’ setting of folk songs gets a genre tag as classical and also as folk. You can do this for other tags as well.

Roger

Asset also now supports more classical oriented tags (Composer, conductor etc.), and yes you can combine data into a single tag, however it’s also possible to add to the tree to have cascading menu categories.
I believe that this is now commonplace among most of the NAS and/or PC based server systems.

Asset’s advantage over Minim is upstream artwork, i.e. displaying artwork at nodes further up the tree (e.g. artist, composer etc, rather than only at the album & track levels).
If you’re happy selecting from long lists of names, this isn’t a big deal (I’m dyslexic, so for me it’s very important)

1 Like