What is your prefered music server?

Even if the 2.4 is old, it is not yet widely implemented in player

It should be a good solution, but it is quite expensive. I believe a cheaper equivalent is a M2Tech HiFace two (with the other advantage to take far less room). According to you, what is the best sound quality between M2Tech or Singxer Audio SU 6 vs ALLO DIGIONE SIGNATURE (HAT for Raspberry) (should be used with the BNC output ?

In this kind of Numerical transport, I had the occasion to listen a 3D-LAB NANO TRANSPORT SONATA V5 (NANO NETWORK TRANSPORT SONATA V5) on a Dac V-1 vs bluesound Node 2i. The Sonata improve definitely the sound.

Just checking on Foobar: in fact, it is more complicated.
In my MP3, with tag in V2.3, foobar read correctly the multiple value in one field.
In my FLAC file, with tag version is VorbisComment, the multi filed tag is wrongly interpreted as just a long text

That could be correct behaviour, I only looked at ID3 metadata, I haven’t looked at the definition of metadata formats for Ogg/Vorbis

I’m not sure what you mean by this statement as I can play different music in various rooms with Roon at the same time. I suppose this is because I have a streamer for each room.

I used to use Twonky on Qnap NAS, I now have minimserver on my music server as an alternative to Roon. But I rarely use it.

Two Houses, not two room. You could have Roon in 2 different houses, but each time you change, you have to de-authorized, re-authorized both of them. If you do not want that or use Roon in both of them at the same time, you need 2 licences.
Roon is excellent for multi-room.

Two different locations (think second house) need two licenses if playing simultaneously

1 Like

I was deceived by the SQ of the last node. I was hopping, a bigger improvement vs the 2i, which I do not feel (I haven’t made a live comparison).
I need to explore to get 2 very good transport (but not too expensive), and also compatible with the 3 other.
I think the first thing to do, is to install a new audio server on my synology (hence this global question), and after, even if it is done in several weeks or months (mainly due to the global cost), buying the “transport”.
But due to compatibility, the choice of the server should be done with the choice of the transports.

Sorry @Suedkiez and @Loulou I’m getting befuddled - just not thinking straight.

2 Likes

How do you compare/review Twonky, Minimserver and Roon ?

these are not exhaustive, but 2 pages interesting :

Lots of people don’t like Twonky, but as it was my first experience of streaming it suited my needs. I rarely use minim and I’ve only tried it after I bought Roon. Roon wins hands down for me for its near intuitive interface; my only criticisms are that I can’t search my library by folder and some of my music has not been identified by Roon.

If you didn’t try this already, you can go to the Edit menu of the album and click Identify. Roon will then show you options that might fit, but were not chosen automatically. Sometimes this happens just because of minor differences in track names, durations, etc.

Of course, in some cases Roon will not have any metadata for the album, at all. Then it uses the tags in the files, if any exist, but you can also edit everything within Roon to get it to the quality level of albums that could be properly identified. Such an album will still show as “unidentified”, but this is more or less the only difference

Thanks for reminding me. The edit path normally works for contemporary stuff, but not for classical, especially stuff I bought in Eastern Europe.

I can see the problem with classical. I had to help out Roon with quite a few artists and albums, but this was only Rock/Pop etc., where no service is great with certain obscure, local music.

It worked to my satisfaction nearly completely, but the one issue is that apparently you cannot make a track into a “composition” in Roon unless it gets this info from a metadata server. (Oddly, adding a composer is not sufficient). This was a bit annoying insofar as I could not make some Austrian or German cover versions of songs (where “composition” was missing) to be included with other cover versions (e.g. from Qobuz) in the same existing composition.

For my needs, it was not ideal but tags helped out. However, I can see this being a major hurdle with unidentified classical albums.

1 Like

Does anybody know snapcast ?

According to github it has not been touched in years. Do you have a requirement for time synced multiroom audio?

I haven’t seen any date on the link, but if I understand well, Snapcast is an add-on on audio server like Modipy, to add the synchronous multi-room capabilities. But you’re right, it seems it is not really active…

To answer your question, yes I’d need that, at least on 2*2 room.

Maybe I want to many things in one box… but LMS did that.

The reason I “quit” LMS was :
-LMS was not supported as an application with DSM 7.0 (but it is still installable via Docker)
-Logitech buy it… and stop the developpment
-My command was old (touch, boom and radio). Thy were still working very well, but the rapidity, interface was more than 10 years old.
-The interface on the LMS webpage and android app where a little old too (but I was using the standard skin…)
-the scanning of the database takes much more time than BlueOs or Roon (but done during the night, it is not a big issue)
But I recon, that in term of functionality and quality it is still on the podium…
I wonder if I will not reinstall it in a Docker ?

github is showing snapcast was last released 22nd December last year, so still getting some updates… but it sits on the player side of things, so separate from the music server: LMS might have been how some people were getting multiroom previously but seems more common these days for a client to implement streaming to multiple listeners (e.g. as in chromecast, airplay and Naim multiroom) and keep the server out of it.