What makes the 552 better than the others

Must depend a bit on rooms and speakers. I have noted that Nigelb and SiS like their 250s. Darke Bear is a big advocate of 500 x 3 for getting all the detail in the music. I’d love to hear more systems to compare and understand what they sound like.

Phil

Yes, I like my 250DR but would love 3 x 500, but that is not going to happen.

My choice of gear (read power amp) is more to do with pragmatism and affordability.:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I swapped the Powerline from the 500 to 552 at the weekend and I would say it is better that way.

The original owner provided the original cable with Crabtree plug. I also got a new PL lite which I didn’t need.

Any opinions on whether to use the Crabtree, the PL lite or a preloved PL?

Phil

I would have thought that the level at which you are now operating requires / warrants PLs all round Phil…

I agree… :slight_smile:
enjoy/ken

I thought a NAP 500 and NAC 552 always came complete with a Power Line ‘in the box’ ? :thinking:

1 Like

Those prior to the release of the Powerline had standard mains leads and plugs.

Yes, i did wonder that just after posting : )

1 Like

Debs, from your profile you have 552/500, but no mention of DR and power cords. Could you clarify? Also if you did add better power cords, how much of an improvement?

I cannot find any preloved PLs at the moment, so I have an Isotek Optimum on my Aria and swapped with the 500. Apart from some extra sibilance (at first), the improvement in bass and Hf quite noticeable with improved soundstage.

The Aria still sounding good

Phil

This is good news! I’ve started with the Aria, but there may be room to upgrade at some point, as vinyl seems “here to stay” in our home. I was wondering about the Superline.

1 Like

My 500 was brand new in 2013, i acquired it pre-owned in 2014 at 18 months old, and it came with a PL in the box. Likewise my 2009 year 552 also came with a PL, although i bought it pre-owned from a dealer. They are both non-DR but otherwise very good order, my budget doesn’t allow the expense of DR-ing for some considerable time : (
Fortunately i am blessed with a optimistic view of being grateful of what i have - rather than wanting to spend big money on never-ending and unaffordable upgrade improvements ; )

The fact is we don’t need half this stuff to get emotionally engaged with the music, and DR upgrades, expensive speakers, fancy cables etc are great if one can comfortable afford to buy them, and IMO the best of luck to people who can; there are many far worse and silly ways of spending pots of disposable income. The 552/500 is one heck of a amp, and even non-DR it don’t stop me enjoying the music.

I use my 2 x PLs for 552 & 500 plugged into MK unswitched socket on dedicated radial circuit, presently the CDS & Radikal are fed via a two way hydra into another MK unswitched socket. I find this is preferable to using a [cheapo type] four way hydra for all.

Personally, if i were short of PLs and had a limited budget to spend on kettle leads i’d explore and trial something that is shielded, well made and perhaps better value for money than the naim PL.
My jury is still out over the PL sonic quality, i like the strong look of the build quality but think better is probably around and for less money.
Chord Sarum and Music have their devotees, but i’d have to be a big bucks billionaire before happily parting with what they cost :grinning:

I think what we could do with is an upmarket modern upgrade of the Grahams hydra, all shielded cable into one big plug.

6 Likes

Hi Debs, thanks for your very honest reply. I have similar feelings about the endless upgrades. My 552/500 is 2003/2000 respectively but serviced by Naim November 2016, so in theory rejuvenated.

Here is a photo of the back of the racks.

The Red cables are the top end Isoteks with Furutech plugs each end. They are shielded. I spent a long time listening to these and PLs but setup issues may have influenced the result.

I’ve no objection to PLs now but I put off because they come included with later 500 series boxes.

Thanks again Debs

Phil

3 Likes

Indeed my experience too after a decade with Naim.

Of course the 552/500 is delightful, but I don’t personally do not need one to be engaged with the music…

Knowing what I know now, I would have spent far less on cars and bought the 552/500 DR though !

2 Likes

SBLs can never be the weak link IMHO. Three full decades in and I still love them.

Stu

3 Likes

I echo your thoughts re source first Nigel. I have recently upgraded my LP12 and the improvements are magical on passive SBLs. They remain reliable reveallers (the 3Rs) of what goes before them. Although my system may well be regarded as balanced, this destination was built on first class sources. Always will be too!

Stu

2 Likes

The thread has me mashing the search button every day for a gently used 552DR. Very rare here in the States.

Not many here either. Sometimes dealers have waiting lists. There are very few owners who sell their 500 series boxes. Sometimes 500 power amps get sold if moving from active to passive.

Phil

There was a non DR one in January on Audiogon. Missed it myself. If it came up today, I would go for it.It was priced at less than 30% of the new price.

Interestingly, a 552/500 DR pair has appeared on the Naim audio buy and sell FB site. Don’t think this breaks forum rules.

Phil

Im in the States…does limit options!