What MM carts with SN3?

Hello all,

What MM carts are people using with their internal Supernait3 phono amp? I’m currently using an Audiotechnica AT150Sa and it sounds good, But I’m wondering if there’s a better match out there.

Thanks!

1 Like

Have a XS3, not a SN3, Goldring 1042 on Roksan Chorus body. No complaints, but owned the cartridge for c. 29 years (had many new styluses?, latest has 80hrs on it), so nothing to compare it to! Sounds good to me, and not disgraced by a Hugo MK1.

3 Likes

Goldring 2500

2 Likes

Gold Note Vasari-Gold

2 Likes

Virtually all of the Audio Technica VM (not the 95 variants) series of Styli will fit on your 150Sa body I use a 150 EA body with a vm760 slc stylus which is excellent but pricey luckily I sourced one with damaged packaging for half price. I also tried the Shibata VM which is also excellent and I believe they also do a very good VM MicroLine the VM40 I think which is less than £200.

3 Likes

I have the same one it is excellent. It will also show up any poor pressing you have that you were not aware of before, as I found out after upgrading from a VM540ML MicroLine which is a great Stylus in its own right. The VM760 SLC stylus extracts s everything from a record it is very detailed.

2 Likes

I am current using an Ortofon MC10 Supreme high output moving coil cartridge in my Rega RB300 arm on my Rega Planar 3.

Setting the volume control on the SN3 to around the 10 o’clock position gives adequate sound levels. Naim support told me that the SN3’s phono input sensitivity was designed to cope with high output moving coils.

As well as that, I also tried my old B&O 4002 tangential deck, which has a MMC4 cartridge. It worked very well, but I think the cartridge itself needs refurbished - a job for the coming year.

I have a Clearaudio Performer V2 (on a Clearaudio Emotion SE) and it works very well

1 Like

You have a Clearaudio Emotion ?

I thought I was the only one :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I have loads of fun with Linn Adikt, worth a try.

1 Like

I don’t have a sn3, but you should consider some high output moving coils also. The DV 10x5 mk2 is a good example albeit at £550.

1 Like

I would second that. I’m not a diehard vinyl man but do enjoy going through my collection on my old LP12/Lingo 1/Akito player and the Adikt/SN3 is very satisfying; probably as good as I have heard it. I realise that a shed load of LP12 upgrades, arms, etc have passed me by but I feel no need to upgrade (desire to do so is a completely different thing… :slight_smile:) so I agree that the Adikt /SN3 is worth a try.

2 Likes

There are Also some LP12 owners who have made some Upgrades but they keep their Adikts.

I did own an Ortofon Valencia before but the Adikt brings more PRAT and a better soundstage.

I was thinking of a change/upgrade in 2022 but I am totally undecided on what to go for and the current set up sounds very good, its hard to know how much I would have to spend to hear an appreciable improvement

1 Like

You could think about a Performance and cannibalise the arm and cartridge ?

The Emotion is a lovely deck but quite obscure in terms of market penetration , which probably means not such a good trade in. Would the arm go on a bare bones LP12 ?

After all …

My “local” dealer has a Performance DC with a Tracer arm and Virtuoso V2 MM cart, and the power supply which is a possibility. If I go the Rega route I would probably be looking at P10, but would then need a phono stage. An LP12 could be an option but I am a little worried on the potential never ending upgrade temptation.

And then when you audition its always hard to compare with what you have at home.

Other dealers in the area have VPI, Transrotor etc but I am not as familiar with them

1 Like

I clung on to MM cartridges with my Supernait 3, solely for simplicity. When I bought the Rega 10 I initially used it with my Exact cartridge, but felt it was limiting the deck and so caved in to the inevitable and bought an Apheta 3. That of course needed a MC phono stage, so I got an Aria. The nice thing is that the two boxes - the Aria and the P10’s power supply - match aesthetically and size-wise sit happily side by side on a shelf. It’s certainly a good combination if you are thinking in that direction. How it stacks up against a similar priced Clearaudio I’ve no idea.

2 Likes

thanks for pointing that out - I had been wondering - and when I bought my is-blue I did get a couple of shelves extra which are empty presently - my wife will appreciate the symmetry if I go that route

Here you go…

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion - I’d never listened to Nick Cave before…