What music instrument do you play?

‘Ere you, ye huvin’ a go or what?

I ken where ye live, an ah’ll be doon tae drive ye nuts when this lockdoon thingy is ower! :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Self taught acoustic guitar just because I wanted to play Ziggy Stardust many moons ago. These days mainly playing the fool though.:sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s lovely to see so many amateur guitarists here. When I nervously joined my local guitar club, I expected to be the worse, and to be humiliated. How wrong could I have been. There were people better than me, much better, like me, and actually not as good, but they all had in common that they wanted to help each other and share. The really good ones might lead in a song, and the more challenged of us would limp along trying to keep up, but challenging ourselves to do better, and no-one judging. So please bear that in mind when lockdown is over, and try and play with others local if you can.

In a similar way, I always felt a bit shy about admitting I like Kate Bush, only to find on this Forum she is the Top Female vocalist.

So take that leap, don’t be embarrassed.

3 Likes

Ex drummer here. Last played a full kit well in 1981, and badly in 2012!

All I have now is a snare, pads and sticks.
But to be honest, these days I spend more time listening to drummers than practising.

2 Likes

Many moons ago I played cornet & trumpet; first was in a series of brass bands & eventually good enough to play with a championship band.
I then began to learn & appreciate & eventually play classical & baroque in a brass ensemble.
But family needs. career & a traveling work life bought trumpet to a halt.
During that time I also learned guitar, fun & crumpet was the real attraction (better known as sex drugs & rock & roll) & played with a few local groups, folk & blues/rock.
That continued on & off over the years up to not so long ago with a group of jazz enthusiasts playing for fun.
Happy days.

1 Like

Was a drummer until I finally realised that no-one wants a drummer who will never drive. Much as I love drumming I really didn’t practise enough. Took up guitar; wrote and wrote. Had 4 albums out in 20 years under a very obvious pseudonym (if you’ve known me since childhood).

2 Likes

Doesn’t it just! Much more fun than trying one ethernet cable or switch or switch power supply after another!

4 Likes

I always thought that bagpipes should be enjoyed at a distance. Preferably a couple of counties away.
I lived in Edinburgh for about 5 years in the early 1970s, and every summer there was a bagpiper playing (I use the word advisably - I assume that is what he was doing, though it actually sounded like he was doing something unspeakable to a rather unfortunate cat) in the entranceway to one of the larger department stores on Princes Street. It took some fortitude (which I totally lacked) to get past him to go into the shop.

2 Likes

I was told, many years ago, that a Gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes - but doesn’t.

3 Likes

On Atlantic Records

Rufus does a cover of the Byrds - Eight Miles High

Perhaps you might want to be eight miles away when you listen to it - Apologies to the Rufus Harley fans.

I once bought a fake Stradivarius from Greenwich antique market, back in the early 90’s when the market was still good, and managed to persuade a friend to teach me some basics in exchange for some weed. I got as far as half of the Tim Soldier, I still have the violin.

Other than that early over optimism, I only indulge in the occasional foot tapping.

I don’t mind bagpipes occasionally and in context. However that is Scottish bagpipes - musically I do rather like Uilleann pipes, at least in pieces I have heard.

There are lots of violins that have a label bearing the Strad name inside - I was informed they are not fakes, but made “after Strad”, meaning based on his violins, howevver loosely…

True - other bagpipes are available, and are somewhat better. Yes, Uilleann are quite good if played well, and I like some of Loreena McKennitt’s Northumbrian pipe playing.

2 Likes

I play guitar fairly well, and have a few acoustics and and e!ectric. Also ukelele, but just basic chording on that.
Some piano as well. I sold my 3/4 height Ibach to my daughter, and just have a Yamaha electric piano now. 88 keys, weighted keys, sounds quite good.

My first piano teacher gave up on me when I was about 10. Said I was hopeless.

My second piano teacher said, “That’s just because they can’t really teach. Everyone can learn.” Followed a month later with “I take it back. You are just not cut out for this.

My third piano teacher and my best friend’s mum said, “What awful things to say. Only a really bad teacher would say those things. You’ve just been unlucky.” Followed just two lessons later with, “I think you should give up. You have absolutely no musical talent and you never will.

Hand to eye is very good. I can touch type over 70 words a minute. But the other bits needed to make music are just missing apparently.

I live vicariously through my kids. I take them to piano lessons every week and they do very well.

2 Likes

Guitar. Don’t play enough these days partly because I struggle with some RSI problems in my picking arm.

Started learning piano when I was four years old. I’m now 66. Played professionally as a jazz musician, sometimes piano trio, sometimes fusion. Also released three solo albums recorded at home as a minor project in the USA. Did some studio sessions as well. Some with familiar names, others less familiar. Ended up working in music education as it brought in a regular pay cheque every month. Don’t have an acoustic piano anymore. Just a Technics digital piano. Haven’t touched it for almost two years! The Fender Rhodes and my Yamaha DX7 were donated to a friend on permanent loan, They are now in use in his studio.

1 Like

Hi @JazzMan, I too donated a Fender Rhodes to a studio after it started to clutter the house and was increasingly ungiggable (not the lightest of keyboards!!). The Nord Electro saved my back with its handy ‘Rhodes’ setting amongst others - also allowing me to refine my load-in to a single trip from carpark to stage carrying all my gear. Life changing.
For the purposes of this thread I play keyboards, guitar and harmonica in a few bands.

Amateur Guitar classical and other, piano and Sax tenor and sop