What releases are you looking forward to

Fyi: a lot of Tone Poet represses coming on the market this August, some in December, a couple in January. Chick is on the list, Chet still isn’t.

Hopefully Hank Mobley Poppin’ and Tina Brooks - Minor Move are on that list. I do have Chet Baker Sings though luckily.

I just checked, they unfortunately don’t mention a date for both their represses. It’s the jpc site I am checking, they have the option to list all tone poets and show their expected repress dates.

Thanks FR, those are the new releases, I was informing about represses of earlier Tone Poets

1 Like

First Aid Kit - Palomino due out 4 November.

Same title as Miranda Lambert’s new record, if it’s even half as good, we are in for a treat.

6 Likes

That’s going to cause some confusion.

Strange isn’t it, especially as both artists cover similar country pop territory so the Swedish ladies should be familiar with Miranda but maybe “palomino” is the new buzzword!

1 Like

This may be of interest to certain Forum members. For the last couple of days I’ve been down at Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios near Bath, where E&TVP have been recording their next studio album in the famous Big Room. Just got back to Londinium. I can report that the sessions have been going extraordinarily well. Another couple of days there and they will repair to another studio for the odd overdub and polish (the album has been mostly recorded live: the band – Ese, Jackson, Pharoah, Sheena, Indigo and Noel – have been rehearsing for a couple of weeks and are incredibly tight).

One track, “Glowing”, is quite astonishing, and features this device and Ese has discovered the joys of Gilmour as well as her favourite, Hendrix:

After a good deal of soul searching, we decided to abandon the idea of doing it to tape and elected instead to work digitally (in DXD) via this SSL 72-track XL9000 desk, one of the very best in the world.

Producer/engineer Michael “Smithy” Smith – a bit of a genius by the way – and assistant engineer Bob MacKenzie (below) spent the whole of the first day miking everything up and the results are quite spectacular.

Earlier this evening, just before dinner, we listened to Smithy’s rough mixes of the album’s nine tracks through the Big Room’s awesome sound system and the results were mind-melting, especially on “Grenfell Blues” and the aforementioned “Glowing”. Once it’s all done and mixed, the finished product will be taken to either Gearbox or Metropolis where Ese, Carl and myself will oversee the mastering, so I’m hoping this is going to sound stunning, as befits material of this quality.

38 Likes

@TheKevster

Sign. Me. UP!!!

Didn’t I meet the producer at a gig? Nice chap.

1 Like

You did @steviebee – he really knows his stuff.

1 Like

Definitely up for a vinyl copy.

1 Like

Theres a few buttons to play with on that console😬

1 Like

I know Gazza – it always amazes me how producers and engineers know their way round those huge desks…

1 Like

Looking forward to the release, bet you guys had a great time……many great recordings made in that studio.

1 Like

It’s an amazing place Gazza - the main Big Room studio is stunning (as is Peter Gabriel’s private studio, which we had a peek into), the residental quarters excellent, the staff lovely and the food superb. And the setting is just divine.

6 Likes

I choosed the wrong job then :rofl:

Smithy!

7 Likes

That pic kinda puts our little hifi efforts into perspective.

5 Likes

Puts my Tascam in it’s place.

Got to take your hat off to producers and the much underrated engineers.

Looking forward to hearing the results.

5 Likes