What’s the last movie you saw in the cinema

Avengers
Endgame

‘s alright.
:wink:

While everyone was off watching Super X-Spidey Bat Avengers Never Ends or whatever it’s called, I went to the BFI SouthBank on Sunday night to catch Mabrosi, the 1995 debut feature movie by Hirokazu Kore-eda, and not seen on these shores for two decades.

I very much admire the work of Kore-eda (Our Little Sister; Like Father, Like Son; Shoplifters; Still Walking) but I’d not seen this. All I can say is, if I see a better picture this year, I’ll be really happy.

A tautly-told and rather moving tale of an apparently motiveless suicide and its aftermath, it features a brilliant performance by Makiko Esumi as widowed Yumiko, haunted by her husband’s death and wondering if it was all her fault.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen Rocketman? Thinking of going to see it this w/e and would be interested to hear of impressions.

Yes saw Rocketman. A bit disappointing. The good points are it’s well filmed and acted. The bad points are it almost verges on a musical in the theatre. At the start, a scene suddenly turns into a dance sequence where everyone joins in. At this point, I’m thinking oh no, not this type of film. You get used to further scenes like this (there are many more), but they really do spoil the reality of the story. Also, there’s not much depth to the scenes. Bohemian Rhapsody managed to do a great job of telling the story of some superstars, but this film doesn’t hit the mark for me.

Saw Rocketman last night (as an aside got to the cinema in Redruth with wife and daughter, purchased 3 tickets, charged total of £8!).

After a slightly uncertain start (I normally hate musicals, and hadn’t realised RM fell into this category) I thoroughly enjoyed 90% of it. Taron Egerton was superb - his singing absolutely captured the original Elton, and somehow he even looked convincing, despite not actually resembling Elton much at all! Sign of a good actor I guess.

I liked the way the film pulled no punches in respect of Elton’s homosexuality and drug abuse, yet avoided being too seedy and depraved! The treatment of his parents, and John Reid, I found refreshingly honest as well.

All in all, not quite as enjoyable for me as Bohemian Rhapsody, but well worth seeing, especially if, like me, you’re a fan of Elton’s earlier music of the 70s.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

A really good one I thought.

Whole family agreed.

Watch out for the two end of credit scenes if you go to watch…Form parts of future plot lines in Marvel Universe no doubt.

Not a movie but we saw Sir Ian McKellen’s one man show at the Rep last night.

Astonishing performance.

G

1 Like

Glad this thread was opened again. This 2 month thread closure thingy is a pain.

Graeme, I’m seeing McKellen later this year. I’m looking forward to it.

Last movie in the cinema I saw, was Jaws a week ago. Much better in the cinema. Real classic.

1 Like

The thread’s temporary demise seems to me indicative of a dearth of decent films! Is it my imagination, or does this fallow period repeat itself each year?

2 Likes

Apocalypse Now at the updated laser IMAX screen Manchester Printworks, last night. First time I’ve seen black blacks in a cinema. No film grain on this remaster and the sound was very impressive on the updated cinema.

The lates Fast & Furious

Last evening saw…

WILD ROSE

Enjoyable film and Jessie Buckley has a fantastic voice! …I never would have imagined ‘The Grand Ole Opry’ in Glasgow.

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood. A bit slow, but excellent film. In fact it’s better the next day when one’s had time to think about it and read the history of the characters. Another great Tarantino.

Took Mrs Biddler and the kids to see Yesterday err yesterday … I must say it was a lot better than I was expecting. The songs were woven into the story in a nice way and a fine way to pass a couple of hours. Even the kids liked it (there is a yellow submarine reference in there that my kids got as they have seen the film, well it is a cartoon).

I saw this today (included in the program of local film festival)

Great documentary with a bit sad twist (as one could expect since the story is known).

1 Like

Couple I’ve seen recently:

Tarantino’s best since Jackie Brown, I think. Great performances from DiCaprio, Pitt and Pacino, and absolutely gorgeous cinematography. And, as you’d expect in a picture drenched in movie-geek references, the soundtrack is chock full of bangers!

1 Like

Yet another version of Francis Coppola’s hallucinatory classic, although it’s worth noting that it can never really be the final word on a picture that is perpetually in a state of flux, and forever unfinished. A film of this scale and ambition, and with Walter Murch’s innovative sound design and Vitorio Storaro’s extraordinary black/green/orange cinematography, has to be seen on the big screen.

This “new version” still has too much of the plantation scene for my liking, but as a fan of this movie – along with Terrence Malick’s Badlands, I think it’s the best American movie of the past half-century – I can see its multiple incarnations multiple times.

3 Likes

I have to watch this film at least once a year as I do with Woody Allen’s Manhattan Murder Mystery and Blade Runner.

1 Like