What’s your favourite outro?

Now you mention ticket to ride it rings a bell, But I don’t think it’s on the version that I normally play. It actually concludes with a voice saying: There’s no dark side of the Moon really, as a matter of the fact, it’s all dark. However, I based on the Wicki descriotion, I don’t think of that or Ticket to ride as being the outro, rather they are just asides, the outro being closing piece of music wrapping up the album emotionally. But I’m happy to bewrong, being no expert on what constitutes an outro!

Rainbow’s Difficult To Cure has a fun outro on the title song (a wonderfully cheeky Beethoven’s 9th pastiche) with someone laughing in lo-fi. On the vinyl version, it ran into the run-out groove causing it to run perpetually.

1 Like

Good choice.

Not really an outro but always find the last few bars of Naima very moving, especially the Live at the VV version with Coltrane and Pharoah.

For me, a tie between:-

Down In The Sewer - The Stranglers

and…

Perfect Kiss - New Order.

1 Like

The end of the last (fourth) movement of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony is about as good as it gets - from Carlos Kleiber in Vienna , Claudio Abbado in Berlin, Carlo Maria Giulini in Los Angeles, or pick whomever you choose.

2 Likes

The Doors

Horse Latitudes leading into the abrupt tango-esque Moonlight Drive

Television Skies…endless roll, endless roll, endless roll…into infinity…

1 Like

It was a light hearted aside, I thought about it right at the beginning of the thread, was distracted, then you reminded me.
Nowhere near an expert, the other entry I considered was Bonzo Dog Doodah Band “The Intro and The Outro” which I don’t think has an outro in the sense of the thread.

2 Likes

My favourites are -

1. Electric Light Orchestra - Shangri-La. I think Jason Lytle covered this on one of the obscure Grandaddy albums.

2. The Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection - the LP version. Still makes my bones tingle

3 Likes

That is one hell of an outro! Excellent.

Dave’s guitar solo at the end of “Pigs (Three Different Ones)” on Animals– and, from the same side of the same album, the same guitarist’s riffy outro on “Sheep”.

1 Like

Sorry I miss read your thread, I’ve deleted the post as it made no sense.

1 Like

Bruce Springsteen Racing In The Street. Brings some feeling of hope at the end of a desperately sad song. Lovely on the record and fabulous elongated versions live.

3 Likes

I had forgotten what a poignant and beautiful song this was. My favourite Springsteen song , and the outro carrying on that mood so well.

1 Like

Whole track feels like an outro, so until I can think of a better one, this is it:

Edit…I just realized that someone else (CalamityJack) had posted this. Talk about synchronicity.

2 Likes

This ain’t too bad either:

1 Like

:+1:

The Eagles’ Take it to the Limit. James Taylor’s Carolina in my Mind. They fade out, but all the same they are interesting. In fact, audiences loved the conclusion of Take it to the Limit so much that when the original bass player for the Eagles routinely couldn’t hit the high notes in concert, it was one of the pressures that led him to quit the band.

1 Like

In classical music, sometimes (often) you would call it a “coda”. Not always, but certainly through Beethoven’s era.

Wilco from the The Whole of Love the track One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smileys Boyfriend).

1 Like