What’s your favourite theme tune?

Three firm favs…

Joe 90…

Rockford Files…

Starsky & Hutch…

But the top of the tree has to be Thunderbirds…

11 Likes

Quincy Jones IRONSIDE

6 Likes

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy

6 Likes

You beat me to it.

1 Like

Here’s another one which gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. This is the music used for the theme to the BBC’s coverage of the London Marathon.

Unfortunately, the images used in this video are of runners in the Bristol Half Marathon.

1 Like

This from the original TV series.

Wikipedia says that the first four notes (in 5/4 time) are based on Morse Code for M. I.

7 Likes
8 Likes

banana splits. that takes me back …

16 Likes

The Persuaders, as already mentioned , by far my all time favorite theme.

8 Likes

At the time at school. Our music teacher used to play this theme by putting drawing pins in the piano hammers. Happy days.

1 Like

The theme tune from Mash (“Suicide is painless”) is still one of my favourites.

The melancholy music and macabre lyrics are perfectly suited to the nature of this brilliant bitter-sweet comedy film and TV series

6 Likes

+1 for the banana splits (not to mention Carla Bley and the Lost Chords (Inc Andy Sheppard) reinterpretation The Banana Quintet)

Definite + 1 for the Alabamee 3 Sopranos - real iconic status.

I would add the gentle bucolic Detectorists. Bloke called Johnny Flynn if memory serves.

2 Likes

As a young child, perhaps the scariest thing going - and time to get behind the high-backed vinyl chair!

12 Likes

I guess it has to be The Bridge. I even bought the CD from which the theme tune is taken, but nothing else on the CD quite lived up to Hollow Talk.

Roger

6 Likes

This were a real favourite when I were a lad in the early/mid-1970s:

3 Likes

G

8 Likes

1970s theme tunes RULE:

4 Likes

Sammie Winmill was a favourite.

1 Like

Indeed. Kudos for the Ace of Wands theme. That was an absolute MONSTER.

1 Like

Another kiddie show banger – by the Murgatroyd Band, AKA The Spencer Davis Group!

Jenny Hanley. Sigh…

2 Likes