What’s your most extreme ‘out there’ tweak?

Apparently I reinvented the Ballnutter but do they work……

4 Likes

a right nut job

Hi Clive, the Bedini Clarifier admittedly doesn’t mechanically clean grease finger marks on a cd. It’s actually a strange contraption and some CDs take better to it than others. It spins for about a minute and brings clarity and openess back with no physical interaction.
It was old forum member J.N, who introduced me to his and I simply couldn’t quite believe it. His has unfortunately broken and cannot get it repaired, as both Italian brothers, who invented and fabricated it ( in New York from memory) would you believe both died on the same day (very sad as one was from a heart attack finding out his brother had died). Well, on that cheerful note :face_with_head_bandage: Best Peter

4 Likes

Just remembered one big ‘tweak’ as part of an upgrade: A couple of years or so after building my first hifi system it was time to upgrade the amp. The amp was the Sinclair Project 60 module, with z30 power amp modules (30w) built into my DIY TT plinth. I decided to rebuild it with bridged z50 modules, so theoretically up to 200w available. The power supply needed a much bigger transformer, and I changed the power amp electronics module to a PZ8 giving a regulated supply. One problem of which I was well aware was the need to isolate the PS as much as possible from the sensitive low level amplifier electronics. Not having access to any metalwork fabrication facilities I had my brainwave (tweak if you like): I built the power supply into a separate box, which sat on the floor about 3 feet below the amp box, which then had the added advantage that it could be much sleeker not having to house the transformer.

I had never heard of anyone doing that before so at the time it was a novel idea. Others probably had done it, but not Naim yet as that was 1971 or 1972. Interestingly the Sinclair amp was assembled using star earthing (as recommended in the Sinclair manual).

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

If that was for me …from a US DIYer. He had a lot of interesting thoughts and ideas. I used to buy star quad DC cables from him as well. He also introduced me to LT3045s, which I housed in hobby DIY boxes and routed the DC through to lower noise.

M

1 Like

Thanks, but was for the OP @GraemeH :slight_smile:

:rofl:

1 Like

That’s correct, but I did find it useful to centrifuge water off the disc after cleaning with soap and water, as I mentioned above.

That’s a Peter Belt-ism. When I was still using ante-deluvian old vinyl, I placed a 3cm length of sellotape (another PB-ism) across the edge of my LP12 platter under the felt top cover.

Bizarrely, it worked.

Dunno about screws levelling. Or photographs of black labradors on the coffee table.

I’ve never understood what I am going to call ‘the dipping in liquid nitrogen thing’ which seems quite popular in some audiophile circles.

Absolutely Clive, we’ve all been there :+1:t3: ATB Peter

In some other forums this product could be considered mainstream.

As always the dark Naimites curse my prophecy using this to sort thing before ripping.

Try changing the supplied “kettle lead” on a record cleaning machine for a spare power line lite. Expect cleaned records to have a lower noise floor!

4 Likes

I actually used this product years ago when I still had CDs. I believe it made an improvement.

Custom Lynx 3.5mm Mono Mini Jack Cable - 5 Pack - 120cm

Paste that into google and you’ll get there. Cheap as chips and I now have four I can’t use.

G

1 Like

This threat has me intrigued so I’ve been looking at some of the more unusual items for sale at one local shop

What does this contraption do? It’s very expensive

1 Like

It lightens people’s bank balances.

15 Likes

It synchronises your resonance, obviously! If there are two people in the room, which have run, then you will resonate synchronously…

1 Like

It emits “a subtle field” which “enhances the coherence and timing that is typically lacking in even the most high-end audio system”. Just the thing for Statement owners, then.

Roger

1 Like

A very cheap upgrade. A few copies of George the VI pennies came in very handy. Anyway, I’m probably sleeping in the tower after the Palace sees that I drilled a centre point for the spike to sit in.

4 Likes