what speakers to audition?

As a K6 owner I’d agree. Once tamed (I chose the Stillpoints route), the bass is truly musical, lifelike and magnificent (most agree their midrange and ribbon tweeters are peerless)!

2 Likes

Thanks, Antonio1.

Same think as @timmo1341, my K6 finally tamed with Isoacoustics Gaia II, and a lively and tight bass, and also peerless mids and highs.

1 Like

In my experience the D7’s were a little bright in the tweeter dept, my dealer concurred and added that they had a reputation for this, apparently Spendor recognised the concern and rectified it in the D7.2 by a small mod to the tweeter

Surprises me, but in fairness I use D9s so perhaps the brightness is not evident. I also use Linn’s Space Optimisation, but this tends to correct bass response more than high frequencies.

Still if you could hear a brightness then it must be there. It’d be interesting to hear the mod. Though I’m more than happy with what I have so perhaps hearing it could be even better is not my greatest idea.

1 Like

Hi, I have the CDS3/XPSDR with 252/SCDR/300DR combo just like you. Speakers are very much personal taste and really need to be auditioned at home in your listening room. I would suggest you see what your local dealer stocks and recommends and take things from there depending on room dimensions, furnishings etc. I have PMC Fact 8’s which I find really stunning, so open, fast and detailed and superb bass clout and control in my room (6m x 4M) and carpeted with solid floors. They are not everyones cup of tea but they totally outshone ATC SMC40’s and Kudos Titan 606 in my listening demo at home. Good luck in your search, you will know when you hear the right ones, I have!

1 Like

Just to update I had a demo the of Kudos T505/606 and B&W 803 D3 yesterday a very interesting day indeed ?

I will probably start a new topic when the demo speakers are installed at home later today.

Which ones are you having installed at home?

A little leftfield, i once had your system with Shahinian Arc speakers and it was just music, no hifi. I still use Shahinian, but a model below the Arc, as my amps are more modest now.

Ian2001
Which ones are you having installed at home?

It’s my 66th birthday next month so that should give you a clue?

If they sound as good at home as they did in the dealers demo room they will be a wonderful birthday present indeed.

Hi Gary, if you don’t mind me pitching in here, Shahinians have been on my radar for a while; what’s your take on matching them with Naim amps? I was originally considering Compass, but now running a 250DR, I’m thinking they that they should be able to drive Arcs. Any thoughts?

ATC SCM40 passives - the single biggest upgrade over SBL’s in my 35 year Hifi journey.

Jonathan

2 Likes

Diablo 666s?

Enjoy the Kudos!

Chris, a 250DR will run a pair of Arc with ease. The best i heard my Arc was with a fresh set of 135s, but they still sounded brilliant with a Nait2. When i owned Obelisk, they were a much fussier speaker, and i had a much more difficult time getting them to sing. They completely destroyed a Nap160, were happier with a 110 and worked surprisingly well with a Nait5i believe it or not. Even my 300 was not completely happy, but i put some of this down to the room as the Ob’s really use the room more than Arc or Compass.

Thanks Gary, I thought you would probably say something like that, but I’ve read a few comments online suggesting that a 250 might not be enough for Arcs. I suspected that they were ill-informed. Still on my list of possibles.

Yes Arc and Compass are a relatively easy load on an amp and room friendly. Obelisk is where it can get tricky. Good luck!

The B&Ws then?
8-2=6

The Kudos Titan 606 demo speakers were installed by the dealer earlier today and are simply superb in my room and with my system.

1 Like

Celestion Ditton 66???

Excellent - enjoy your new speakers

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.