What the hell is an audiophile recording?

No I just mean that G. Martin was important musically and helped them develop.

1 Like

Kinda agree…great sound, so-so (dare I say bland) music for some of the forum favourites I’ve heard
(Pharoah Sanders/Floating Points springs to mind, or Voices by Max Richter…yawn…)

1 Like

Newly released videos show how a truly minimalist recording set up can ensure optimum Sound Quality;
This is what they call ‘One Mic’;

and this is ‘One Mic +’

I don’t understand why they record only Carmen Gomes. There are so many great women and men singers, be it jazz, blues, or soul. Why are they never recorded in audiophile albums. It is a real mystery for me.
I tried to listen to a lot of artists in the Sound Liaison catalog, or other audiophile sites. I found no one artist that engaged me emotionally.

3 Likes

I feel similar. Have often caught myself chasing ‘audiophile’ recordings to see what my average system can do with quality recordings and miss out on enjoying the music i like. To be honest, i have probably wasted way too much time doing that.

5 Likes

And here is another
cover_001_neu+front

Soulful Journey at a glance:

Album: A Soulful Journey (from Big Apple to Big Easy)

Style: Jazz and Soul standards of the 1940s to the 1960s

Band: SOB & the CZYKS

Artists: Andreas Sobczyk, p; Denise Gordon, voc; Andreas Dombert, g; Stephan Holstein, cl, as, ts; Malo Mazurié, t; Karol Hodas, db; Peter Müller, d

Packaging: Double-LP in gatefold with 12 page booklet

Edition: limited to 950 double LPs and 50 promo copies; all numbered by hand

Recorded: August 10-16, 2020; Powerplay Studios Maur/CH

Console: Neve 8016

Tape Recorder: Studer C37

Sound, Mix: Andi Wingert, Reto Muggli

Mastering: Adi Flück, Centraldubs, Bern; mastering with a Telefunken M10 with analog preview using the original session tapes (no copies)

Plating: Optical Media Services, Baarlo/NL; one step pressing using one lacquer per stamper

Pressing: Nordsø Records, Kopenhagen/DK; on 140 gram vinyl using new Newbilt manual presses

1 Like

how about this one;
Talespinnen

Weather Report - Tale Spinnin’ [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

1 Like

I’ll give it a listen :+1:t2:

Poor you. This girl gives me goose bumps every time ;

2 Likes

I feel richer when not listening to that :grin:

Now I’m curious what you do listen to.

How about Sarah K, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, Gregory Porter, Denise Jannah, Odelion, Fable or Stuart McCallum;

1 Like

From your list : Patricia Barber
I can add Carmen Lundy, Ben Sidran, firsts Cassandra Wilson, Aretha Franklin, Fridolijn, Frazey Ford, Chris Stapleton…
Recently discovered Anette Astvik ( liberty).

Thanks,
Ill check her out;
This is the one?

2 Likes

Yes. :+1:

A day late, but the title track from Anette Askvik’s Liberty album should be played especially on July 22nd of course:

1 Like

Sorry now I’m falling a sleep :pensive:
Except for the title song, which has a real and very emotional impact I find it quite boring.

This is the ‘One Mic’ take from the ‘Images’ album, the rest are indeed one mic +.

from the all music website, so I guess it is.

" though many vocalists sang their own songs, including early rock & rollers like Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, the term Singer/Songwriter refers to the legions of performers that followed Bob Dylan in the late 60s and early 70s. Most of the original singer/songwriters performed alone with an acoustic guitar or a piano but some had small groups for backing. Their lyrics were personal, although they were often veiled by layers of metaphors and obscure imagery. Singer/songwriters drew primarily from folk and country, although certain writers like Randy Newman and Carole King incorporated the songcraft of Tin Pan Alley pop. The main concern for any singer/songwriter was the song itself, not necessarily the performance. However, most singer/songwriter records have a similar sound, which is usually spare, direct, and reflective, which places the emphasis on the song itself. James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and Joni Mitchell were the quintessential singer/songwriters of the '70s, and most of the songwriters that followed them based themselves on their styles, or Dylan’s. Singer/songwriters were at the height of their popularity in the early '70s, and although they faded away from the pop chart, they never disappeared. In the late '70s, artists like Rickie Lee Jones and Joan Armatrading that were heavily influenced by the sound of the original singer/songwriters crossed over into the pop charts, as did Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman in the late '80s. This resurgence of the style in the late 80’s led to a new popularity and exposure for a new crop of contemporary singer/songwriters.
"

Do you count The Beatles as singer/songwriters? If not, why not?