What to Do With All the Ripped CD"s

Pray tell what is a Boltz rack?

One of these, built like a tank.

Ha! That’s what they said with LPs. In time they will become a curiosity to some new future hipster group and actually be cool again.

They will be worth a fortune, but unfortunately, you will be dead by then. So only valuable if you can pass them to some offspring who won’t toss them.

Ah right. Thanks.

I personally don’t need the money, so I just hang onto them and give some away. But if someone was short on cash, I wouldn’t worry about it, just sell them, who cares. The person who buys them will still have to buy the CDs that he really wants. They never would have gone and bought all of yours. So no one is losing any sales.

If I had bunch of Indie band CDs or the like, then I would not sell them.

After three house moves I was fed up with sorting and putting these back in a - for me - useless cabinet, so I sold them on and used the money to do something else.

1 Like

If you have the space, ripped CDs are your ultimate back-up. It is illegal to sell them, so keep them.

At a time when artist revenue is at an all time low (with streaming taking hold) I just can’t bring myself to sell mine as some of those second hand CD sales would deprive the artist from the revenue of an additional new CD sale or download sale.

I realise as the world moves from CD to streaming, that argument gets weaker but I guess I am old school in my thinking.

1 Like

I don’t know about Britain, but here in Canada you can find hundreds, or thousands of “used CD’s” at the many Pawn shops in my city. Surely, if it was illegal to resell them, the cops would of raided these places long ago. Normally they cost 50 cents to a dollar each, maybe a couple of dollars for really good ones.

Many charity shops sold used CDs, but a lot of them are now stopping it as demand shrinks and it’s just not worth their while taking up space with them.
It’s not selling them that’s illegal, it’s copying them, even if you keep them in storage.

I fully agree Nigel. However, if I think back of all the effort of ripping 750+ albums with my HDX at the time … meticulously adding and correcting cover art and metadata. If for some strange reason my NAS will fail, I will not take that effort again and play the albums from any streaming service available at the time.

Surely you will just restore from one of your backups? Simples.

1 Like

I was referring to the original CD’s as a back-up :slight_smile:

That’s a great theory which stands up right until you go look at what is available on streaming services. I’ve 1983 CDs just ripped. Off the top of my head I can think of 40 that are not; never have been and likely never will be available and which I would definitely want to play. I have eclectic but largely mainstream tastes and as I was ripping o decided it was my one opportunity to check what and where. I’d need to get off my backside to check but the number not on streaming services as of about 8 weeks ago was >350.

1 Like

Most of mine are stored in flight cases in a cupboard upstairs, in fleece pack covers to keep space to a minimum.
I also don’t wish to display all those in the small living room area.

However those in digipaks or boxed sets I do keep in the living room as they are smaller in number and are a bit nicer to look at/look through when playing the albums.

Lucklily, my taste is a bit more ‘mainstream’ then :wink:

My Core arrived recently and the ripping has begun and the cd’s are being boxed for storage in the loft. Two thoughts strike me: since I have been without a listenable cd player for some time, the ripping ritual has given me a chance to revisit my cd collection, with some nice surprises and thoughts of: I must give that a listen, as I put it into the storage box. My second thought is I will soon have quite a bit of CD storage furniture to utilise or to dispose of…

1 Like

Except CDs can easily be destroyed in a fire that wipes out the NAS or wherever the rips are stored. In terms of backup far more robust, as well as not time-consuming to re-rip, would be one or more other copy of the rips on a hard disk or SSD kept in a different location, e.g at work, or a friend’s house.

1 Like

Although I’ve never checked, I suspect that is also the case with a proportion of mine. Add to that the variabilities of the catalogues offered by online streaming services, sometimes existing content removed, and even if what you want is there now there is no guarantee re the future. It would be disastrous to lose favourite music.

How did you go about that, Mike?