What to do with all those cds?

Chris, no it was EU directives, and the UK governments interpretation of it in terms of the copying exception that was overturned. Therefore the previous British law of being able to make a copy for personal use was over ruled as not compliant with new EU directive, unless the UK introduced a new levy or tax to compensate for any lost revenue a personal copy would cause the copyright owner. The UK was not prepared to create a new tax as it argued an individual creating a personal copy to choose how they playback the copyrighted material should not cause a loss to the copyright owner, and also new technology would render a tax on recordable products arcane. plenty online about this and which EU directive drove this.

It is interesting since this law was overturned… CD sales in the UK have risen for classical music…

I’ve yet to read of any individual being prosecuted or penalised for ripping or copying any form of music for his/her own personal use. As with any law, if there is no way of enforcing it, it has no value or deterrent factor whatsoever.

1 Like

Exactly, which makes the whole thing farsicle in my opinion… bureaucrats gone mad.

the last very interesting thread on « nd555 impressions « gave me thinking that i am glad to have kept my cds. Dark Bear was sure that the best ripping process was done by his melco 100 ripper, superior vs dbpoweramp and another one.
So later, one day, when i will have another ripper than my unitserve, i will not transfer my rips but rip my cds again.
I have around 400 cds, so not big problem.

1 Like

not sure if i’m being really stupid but what’s the point of ripping any CD’s when you can just stream any album/song at anytime you like? I’ve dropped all my CD,s into the charity shop because i cannot see me ever playing them again when i can instantly stream, is there a loss of quality with streaming over CD’s?

Well, you find rights get removed from streaming so over time you find many of your CDs can’t be streamed via the internet… if you want to listen to it you need listen to the CD or it’s rip locally. I say approx 15% of my music collection is in that state…
So if you like the stream, then buy the CD or download to avoid later frustration and disappointment.
Also I have many CDs that have never been available on streaming services… and those CDs are priceless to me, I rip them and play them for safety to minimise the chance of damage to them.
A few of my such CDs are worth several hundred pounds on the collectors market now… but I am not selling

4 Likes

Well according to my friend, sitting down sorting through his cds, 1 in 100 were not available to be streamed …
For me, something like paradise radio introduces me to new stuff whilst playing some greats that I own. As a result I have bought more CDs recently than I have in the last 10 years.

Yes, a good rip of a well recorded CD will have better SQ over a hi-fi Tidal stream, but it’s pretty close.

The 1 in 100 sounds pretty convincing for streaming, however he may need to bear in mind that he may have many originals, and that streaming copies may be remasters with different sound quality, and not necessarily better if they’ve been processed to sound ‘loud’ rather than for overall dynamic range.

You’ve probably come across this, but if not good description here:

1 Like

Yes the so called loudness wars was an artefact of a decade or few ago, where most marketing distribution was via FM radio. Standardisation and modern codecs require a more dynamic variation for maximum SQ, punch and marketability… and modern mastering technology makes this far more easy to achieve.
Usually quite easy to hear… compare many popular music albums with say their counterpart in the mid 90s, early 2000s, you will hear far mor bone, punch, dynamic range than previously.
Technically modern mastering compressors are far more advanced than those of yesteryear, and there is far more to compression and intelligibility than simple dynamic range… I know…
Also the AES ran article on this and determined maximum dynamic range compression, so called loudness wars, occurred between the late 90s eRly 2000s period with popular music.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.