What turntable would suit a Naim Uniti Star?

Many thanks to all for the comments - very helpful; I have just returned from listening to a Planar 3 and a Planar 6 (c/w Ania MC cartridge) played through a Uniti Star, and there was a notable difference between the two. So I placed an order for the Planar 6 and hope to pick it up next week. Exciting!

9 Likes

Great choice Haffle. P6/Ania is a truly excellent record player by any standards. Have fun!

1 Like

Planar 6 would work well, certainly not overkill in my view as a decent deck and arm is a good investment.

I would also consider a second hand rp8 or rp6.

Didn’t Linn do something very similar many ears ago with a Linn cartridge, rebranded a very cheap cartridge as one of their own and sold it as a basic cartridge on the LP12. I remember having one and it sounded good to me.

That was probably the Basik. The second iteration of which was effectively an Audio Technica AT-93 with a glued stylus assembly. A Great cartridge for very little money. The AT-95E was similar but with a slightly more sophisticated bonded elliptical stylus.

1 Like

That was definitely it, a great cartridge for very little money, now if everything gave that sound for that price…

Used an LP12 with a Nova quite happily.

2 Likes

Great to get you up and running perhaps. I’ll never forget the sense of relief and joy from upgrading to a K9. HUUUUGE upgrade!

1 Like

What’s interesting is that the AT95 and K9 were very similar under the skin. The main difference with the K9 was the much more rigid metal body along with an improved stylus. I remember the first time I picked up a K9 and the solidity of the body rather took me back as it looked just like a plastic one. I still have a K9 although I think the stylus is past its best so now it lives in the box of old cartridges and head shells. It was replaced by a Nagaoka TS11, which also had a rigid metal body and in many respects sounded even better. That one also now lives in the old cartridge box but still has life in it so maybe needs to used again in one of the vinyl systems…

1 Like

I remember when you advised me almost a decade ago about source first.
Over the years listening to lots of sources, I would rather put most of my budget into the source and have a lesser amplifier and speaker set up.
The reason is that musical information lost at the source can never be recovered further down… obvious to me now… but in hindsight !

4 Likes

A quick question about the Planar 6; I was surprised that I could hear the motor (before lowering the arm on to the record); is this “normal”, or something that is not right? On my previous turntable - a Technics direct drive from the 1980s - there was absolutely no sound from the motor at all.

TIA.

That doesn’t sound right. Are you saying it’s breaking through into the amp or just you can hear it directly from the deck?

If the latter, have you tuned in the PSU for minimum motor vibration?

One can’t hear it through the system / speakers, just when (very close to) the deck. I recorded the noise on a short video, but one has to turn the volume up to hear it. The noise happens whether the belt & platter are attached or not, so it is certainly the motor and not the platter bearing.

I haven’t tuned the PSU - I rather had gathered that Rega did that at the factory by “matching” the motor & PSU.

Rega Planar 6 noise video

Check with your dealer. It may need to be fine tuned or at least checked on installation.

1 Like

Congrats!

It really it quite surprising how much difference you can hear between the models. The six is an excellent choice.

Let us know how it is sounding when you’re up and running. :+1:

1 Like

A brief update and a question;

Dealer very kindly organised a straight replacement for (what I perceive lived to be) my “noisy” Planar 6 motor with no questions asked. Hat Tip to them.

Unlike my previous 1980’s deck the Planar 6 doesn’t come with a ground wire. How does this work in terms of preventing static build up? Every time I lifted a record off the turntable the felt mat came away with it. And the whole thing sounded pretty muddy too. But I received a Milty Zerostat 3 today and I have to say the results are a marked improvement.

I didn’t think the ground wire was to reduce static, but to prevent hum.

The Rega is earthed through the shield on the left signal cable if it’s like other Regas.

I think static between mat and disc is common - I certainly have it on my Rega (had it on my old Ariston back in the 80s too).

Muddy could be any of a number of things - you not liking the cartridge (is it the Exact - I find that a bit muddy?), the cartridge being sensitive to VTA (if it’s not a Rega - most cartridges seem to be taller than Regas so the VTA isn’t ideal unless you shim the arm - though Rega don’t think VTA is particularly important - I think I agree with them; my Goldring isn’t shimmed and sounds fine) or excessive tracking force.

I too find the Zerostat helpful, before I play the record helps with the mat. I find that carbon fibre brushes tend not to reduce static as claimed and can increase it - are you using one of those ?

Thanks @TallGuy - I have a factory fitted Ania MC cartridge, so the VTA should be OK. I have been using one of these, and also use the supplied Rega felt mat.

I have recently cleaned 95% of my records with a Knosti wet cleaner, but the records I have played recently are brand new and uncleaned.

The Planar 6 is coupled to an Arcam rPhono stage; it is quite difficult to get all the dip switches to match the data sheet of the deck, but the dealer asked Rega what settings they suggest & they do seem to be best (/least “bad”).

PS I have also used an Audio Technica At617a gel stylus cleaner

Hmm, bit stumped then - I believe the rPhono is better than my Rega in most areas - the Rega can sound a little dull for example. I’ve not heard the Ania, but I’ve read good things about it, so I doubt that is the cause of the muddy sound…
I can’t see that the cleaner you’re using would be doing anything silly, especially if you’ve put your records through a wet cleaner like the Knosti.
Have you tried a few pieces of double sided sticky tape between the platter and the mat ? Bit Heath-Robinson, but should stop it lifting.

1 Like

The static is in the LP and best removed by a wet clean with an RCM. Replace in a new anti-static inner and you should have no more static problems, like a lifting felt mat.

1 Like