What type of carpet helps avoid static build-up?

Still building my new music room and getting to the stage of thinking about ordering carpets :+1:. Just wondering if there’s a best choice for carpet material for the avoidance of static creation? My guess is that natural fibres (presumably 100% wool?) are the best bet for this, presumably with the hessian type backing rather than rubberised or other synthetics. Am I right? Does type of underlay also matter? All thoughts appreciated.
Kevin

Natural fibres/materials (wool) are best to avoid static build up in floor coverings. Avoid (or minimise the content of) man-made fibres like Nylon.

3 Likes

Just as Nigel wrote. I had a wool carpet in my old room and a synthetic one now. Worse in many ways, more static and dust and uneven absorption, too.

1 Like

100% wool really.

1 Like

+I synthetic fibres are the cause of the static build-up, nylon possibly the worst but rare to find pure nylon carpets these days. drier the air the worse it will be as well. If you have a problem with it, then try to get in the habit of first touching the door handle, or metal rack frame, or whatever, with the knuckle of a bent finger - if you are charged up the spark is less unpleasant between knuckle and conductor, compared to soft flesh.

1 Like

The question that I explored was which type of carpet/rug SOUNDS better. I only got to compare three rugs, (this is a pretty hard demo to organise), and my impression is that thick, open pile, 100% wool is the best.
I also put two different underlays to the test, (felt and rubber), and didn’t really notice any difference. Actually couldn’t notice any change with or without the underlay, (even though my gut told me it should to be better with felt).
As for the static, happily the best sonic solution is the best (ie less), static solution.
My subfloor is a 100mm concrete slab. I have 12mm commercial grade laminate floating floorboards sitting on rubber underlay. My speakers are spiked through the floating floor to the slab.

1 Like

I would have thought no carpet sounds as good as no carpets. Get some nice real wood put on the floor, then worry about carpets at the rug store.

1 Like

We recently replaced the floor in the photo studio that I manage. We put down a nice dark wood laminate and now have the worst static problem ever. I suspect that it is all about the underlay - we used aquastop. For a domestic setting I would use natural underlay.

1 Like

Carpet reduces the high frequency reflections that a) can make a room echoey and b) can muddy the sound. Personally I dislike uncarpeted rooms for the first reason alone, unless there are a lot of other soft furnishings etc to reduce reflections.

No my love we can’t have that carpet it will cause havoc with the sound of my system.

Good luck!!!

1 Like

Thanks all for the helpful replies. 100% wool, natural backing, felt or other natural underlay straight on top of the concrete is how it will be. Fortunately Bob, this is a rare case where the inner nerd is free to do its worst as it’s a dedicated listening room!
Kevin

Natural fibres as said; wool, sisal, jute or seagrass. My favourite is sisal, and when deep textured helps diffuse reflections too at various frequencies and is better than woollen pile in my experience at this, and is significantly more hard wearing than wool and doesn’t give a ‘soft furnishing look’ but is hugely more attractive (subjectively) than uncovered floors.
Downside, sisal can be expensive…

Thanks Simon. Yes, I like the Sisal look and feel too. Hadn’t thought of that, but good call.

Underlay, many years ago we were recommended to use a mixed cork/rubber crumb underlay to help reduce noise in the bedrooms, due to a good deal we had every room done and it’s still there decades later, the last carpet fitter said there was no point changing it as it wad still in good condition.
Have a look for AcoustiCORK M66.

:small_blue_diamond:KJC,…I would have a part of the floor,…where the speakers and your Hifi-rack should stand…In polished concrete.
Then you have the best base for your Hifi-rack and your Speakers.

The Rest of the room,a beautiful hardwood floor…on the wooden floor you can choose to combine different rugs.
From a Cow-skin to soft carpet,…If you have a large listening-room you can have both.
Try different places for the mat on the floor for the best sound results.

It is always good to mix materials,to achieve better musical characteristics in the room

This above will be polished concrete,the hole in the middle of the floor should be rebuilt.

cpntrire3b-00007350
This above is a picture of a Cow-skin.

This is a soft mat (190 • 300 cm).

/Peder🙂

This ones right up my ally, wool blend and cheap synthetic are usually are the worst. If you’re having trouble try a well watered pot plant in the room (make sure you place something under the pot to catch any overflowing water). Don’t ask me why that works, but it does in most cases. A lot of underlays are a problem as well.

Most carpet tiles from better quality manufacturers (Interface, Shaw etc) also meet IBM standards. These are all synthetic but treat during manufacturing.

I sell the stuff (commercial) and have solid hardwood floors throughout my place with the occasional rug.

1 Like

Thanks for this Pete. A pot plant or two sounds like a cool idea and not just for its effect on static. What kind of underlay would you recommend?
Kevin

:small_blue_diamond:As I said,the best underlay is…Polished Concrete.

/Peder🙂

Underlay?. It’s a problem as most are made of recycled material (they are here anyway) ask your supplier if any meet the IBM Standard, direct stick to the subfloor eliminates the problem but most people find the lack of under foot comfort a bit harsh. And despite a few well meaning comments above not all nylon carpet is bad. Most commercial carpet is nylon and still meets the IBM standard. Stay away (if possible) from the cheaper blends eg poly/wool etc.

As for polished concrete, it looks great but most people regret it as it is cold and has no under foot comfort whatsoever. A lot of our clients have since covered it with either carpet/timber or vinyl.

Don’t forget to keep your plants well watered. Good luck.

It’s not great for SQ either, reflective & confused sound.
It’s very much against all the long established norms.

1 Like