What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Sorry @frenchrooster I shouldn’t have been so obscure. Yes I decided to return the turntable as I was a little concerned by the cost and quality of newer LPs. I thought it was wiser to invest in the large cd collection I already own.

5 Likes

Final powerline for new setup arrived.

All 5 now present and correct :smile:

1 Like

I understand completely. Beginning to build now a collection of lps would be indeed expensive. Then I think also that the Dual was definitely not at the level of your source.

2 Likes

Very true the Dual was ok but if I was going to get serious I’d need to have spent a lot more than I’m prepared to for a turntable.

3 Likes

MCRU DIY power cable kit

Furutech cable, which is nice

Update, because the value is over £100 they will assemble it for me. Rather defeats the object of a diy kit. And i was actually looking forward to making it myself and getting the cable exactly the right length!

7 Likes

I just bought NAC-202 with NAPSC and Hicap DR + NAP-200, hope this set will entertain me daily

thank you

14 Likes

Early in the “solstice” thread there was a comment about when naim first went to clearaudio and top of list was to change power supply to turntable. A wall wart on this level of turntable does seem a bit …… weird. Anyway I have bought an mcru jobbie now. Hard to say if makes a difference as hifi is in a different room now and with different speakers … I will leave it a while then go back to the wall wart and see if I can tell any difference.

17 Likes

Have you tried Clearaudio’s battery power supply for the Innovation? I’m wondering if it really does provide improvements for the money.

1 Like

@fdm short answer is no I have not … when I asked about them the wait time was 6 month plus and when I got my turntable I ended up waiting nearly a year. Couldn’t face that again. When the whole supply chain issue calms down I will try and demo the battery and the smart power and see what I think.

1 Like

Naim DC1. Found a good deal on stock clearing, to connect my ND5XS2 to the nDAC, which will be added in a few months from now.

11 Likes

I have the Smart Power battery supply for the Concept Active (no Innovation chez moi!) and I think it was a nice upgrade … on this table, it’s like two upgrades in one, since it also supplies the built-in to phono stage.

It has a “charging” idiosyncrasy that you may want to check out prior to getting the (more expensive) version for the Innovation. There is an audible click as the charge relay closes, which is fine. But sometimes when it automatically starts charging during playing, it seems to repeatedly cross the threshold for “I need to charge” and “no, I’m charged enough to play”… resulting in an unpleasant series of clicks as it enters and exits charge-while-playing mode. It’s sufficiently loud and annoying that I sometimes just switch off the LP, then turn off the supply, and turn it on manually into the “charge” mode to let it top itself up. I asked the manufacturer via web contact page, but was told there is no issue…

That said, I’m still very happy with both the Concept Active and the Smart Power.

Best wishes with your ClearAudio rig!

3 Likes

If I don’t have the linn organik streamer, I would get iFi Can with hqplayer.

1 Like

We have ordered a 555PSDR for our nDAC. Trading up from XPSDR.

We’ve read all the threads about 555PS vs DR on nDAC, but ultimately if we don’t like it we can try on NDX2.

7 Likes

I used my old Technics CD player as a transport into my NDS. Listening to a few of my favourite albums and comparing CD transport versus Tidal stream and the CD won out every time. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Replacing my quickfix. Cable (mogami 2497) connecting the old Linn Klimax DSM and the 135s. Nice job to order by audiocables.eu in Greece, I just sent them a picture of the schema at the back of a Naim 135.

6 Likes

Interesting… you run the DSM straight into the 135s. Did you initially have a Naim preamp in the system or have always run it this way ?

Time to replace the vega g2 with a hugo tt2 from chord!
While not as immediately impressive, its calmer and nicer to listen to. Less hifi, more music. It may be full of annoying led’s, but the silver casing matches the nagra better.

2 Likes

Just added a bare ndac to my system (taking out a nad d1050 dac) connecting bluesound node. Always felt my system was lacking something when streaming, but adding ndac made it suddenly spring to life. Very happy with result. Now playing arround with cables nd ordered a Gotham rca-bcn interconnect to repace AQ cinnamon. Also considering to change standard ethernet cable connecting node by blue jeans cable, but not sure this will make a difference without a separate switch. Any experience to share regarding cabling? Adding a power supply and/or a better streamer will be along term aspiration

Lots of threads on the forums about network cables and switches!

We have upgraded from very basic cables to Melco C1AE which suited our old 272 system combined with a Cisco 2960. We will revisit switch and cabling once new system is racked and burnt in, so will be a while as 555PS needs to arrive and then settle. Can’t see any networky changes until 2023.

Gotham digital interconnect is used by others on these forums with success.

We were going to use a Superlumina DIN-DIN between nDAC and 252 but funds have been diverted to the 555PSDR so that will be another 2023 change now I reckon.

Thanks, did you do something regarding power cables as well.