What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

There’s a fair use provision that likely allows some leeway. I’m fine for members quoting key paragraphs, but not the whole review (or most of it). It’s far better to paraphrase here.

You read about the Entity and I about the Jubilee Clearaudio tt. Always happy to discover the new issue Stereophile on Zino.

Well the supercap has finally arrived, picked it up this afternoon, box has taken a bash, but the supercap is fine, plus i am getting a replacement box for the future, from naim.
Will be getting it on the rack tonight

23 Likes

Yeah I have noticed over the years that the words “Fragile” are to couriers, what a waving cape is to a bull.

Not a warning, but a challenge.

5 Likes

Agree its probably the worst thing to have written on any box thats going to go into the word of van delivery etc

Interesting re the bouncing boxes. I had to make a claim recently and the form asked what category of packaging had been used, with a picture of its stamped reference number. The implication was that if the packaging wasn’t ‘delivery proof’ ie substantial enough, the claim would not be met. Fortunately it was, but by accident on my part, not design. I now will ensure that all packaging used has the correct reference number for the type pf goods inside.

So presumably all new HiFi packaging meets this criteria?

I would certainly expect so from the manufacturer. It’s more likely people like me who use random packaging received for x product that then re uses it for something else that will fall foul if an insurance claim is made.

When I had to claim on damaged speakers a few years back. the claim process was so costly and required several on-site inspections that required me to takes days off work to wait for, when I added up the cost of making the claim (which was more than I paid for the speakers by far), I came to a realisation that anything under about $4-5k isn’t worth insuring. The claim will cost more than the item is worth under that threshold. Not to mention take a couple months of aggro. If I’d just called the dealer and ordered a brand new pair, I’d have had them in a couple weeks and been financially better off. The insurance company rep was so frustrated with me that I wouldn’t give up midway like a normal person.

3 Likes

I had similar as I wanted to do something outside their tick box procedure. I wanted partial compensation for damage caused. They wanted return of goods, inspection and either payment of assessed value (note, not insured value) or rejection of claim. It took a few weeks but an acceptable outcome was reached.

Without too much of a diversion to this thread, can you expand on what these pictures and stamped references are - done a search but can’t find anything specific. Would be good to include it on future deliveries

I don’t have the correspondence as it was all on line web site. However if you look on a typical Amazon delivery box you will see on the bottom a Fefco or a UN code. It was this that they checked.
Example

1 Like

I finally completed the basement system with the arrival of a new HC DR and Fraim shelves, these have been ordered in two stages, note the difference of colour and veneer. The couple on the right has this nice striped veneer the other one and other complete set i ordere last year are paler and more uniform. A Wireworld Matrix 2 also landed this morning.

18 Likes

Well the supercap is in and all working fine, powering the superline, so my 552 has finally be released that duty.
Sounding very nice, but i do have all new cables on it, from a morgana 4 to 5 pin, burndy and powerline, so expecting things to change over time.
But very happy with it all and worth the wait on both the superline and supercap.

28 Likes

Review now available in full over at Stereophile for those interested.

One of those Chord GroundArray thingies, using the BNC input on the NDX2.

:sunglasses::notes::notes::notes: :flushed::flushed::popcorn::popcorn: :eyes:

7 Likes

Any changes?

There’s a great video on YouTube from what I think is quite a likeable engineer who talks about grounding devices in a way that would not ruffle feathers of anyone on either side of this debate (though his view of people in marketing departments is pretty dim - and accurate). It’s not a commercial video (nothing is for sale) but I can never remember if we are allowed to post that anyway.

1 Like

Yes, it pretty much does what it says it does, removing background noise. That’s not audible noise as such, but noise that when removed, lowers the noise floor. This gives a more open and fresh presentation and seems to give more cohesion on complex pieces of music. I’m happy with that, its quite a nice refinement - much in the same way you get with the likes of better cables and switches that reduce background noise, which is important in the higher end systems.

1 Like

I think you can post that, but if in doubt, you could just give us the name?