What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Turntable is gone ?

Yes, it’s NOS from the dealer. The price is slightly higher than market price but I picked the Luxman over the cheaper (new) Denafrips Pontus II which I was also considering since it’s a rather rare unit. Not many in the used market whereas the Denafrips are more popular and flooding the used market.

Yep, like the dodo :grin:

2 Likes

That’s an unusual toss up. The Denafrips is all about cutting edge technology and the Luxman is all about old DAC tech executed as carefully as possible. Chalk and Cheese. Not unlike Naim and Chord I suppose.

1 Like

Differences in technology and parts used in the construction, yes that’s true. However, based on reviews I read on the forums, it appears that both DA-06 and Pontus II might sound more alike as the adjectives used to describe both are warm but detailed, analog, bold, tube-like. At the other end, DACs such as Chord for instance are described to have a slightly quicker pace, better detail, separation and treble extension.

As I already have the Chord, I am seeking to experience a different sound with the Luxman. Hopefully it won’t sound too warm and laidback in my system with the Luxman Class A amp. If it does, I’ll move it to the Naim system and see how it will perform there. Imaginary improvements which I seek are deeper and more defined bass, more texture in the midrange and liquidity in the treble without sacrificing too much detail.

3 Likes

starling
Took delivery of Sumiko Starling (not my picture) yesterday - pretty easy to mount on the PU7 and sounds great straight out of the box - looking forward to how it develops but if the first listening is anything to go by I will be very happy indeed. Now I just have to figure out the loading which I find a real pain - there are no real guidelines as to how do this - the best advice I can find is just to try and choose what sounds best
I’ve read pretty much all the threads on loading but I’m none the wiser
currently have a z R470 with a 1nF fitted and it sounds good. Any suggestions on what to try gratefully received or if anyone can explain what factors come into play - is it the output voltage of the cart that determines the load or something else? I also read somewhere that if running an MC you don’t really need a cap plug
is that correct?
Anyway loads of questions but getting back to running the Startling in now :grin:

7 Likes

Typically suggests a product refresh, cue the “product announcments” speculation thread :smile:

I did wonder. I was struggling to ever justify a regular muso 2 as a soundbar. But at less than ÂŁ1000 for the wood edition, that decision was made a lot easier.
I almost feel guilty not really being able to enjoy the wood.

2 Likes

Roksan Attessa cd transport used with the dac in a used Audiolab 8200 cd player purchased on a well known auction site.

You’ve done well there, they sound lovely and look the business.

1 Like

Dodo ? What’s that ?

Extinct

no longer alive

2 Likes

In french it means sleeping. « faire dodo » = go to sleep.

3 Likes

Le Dodo

9 Likes

Sorry @frenchrooster I shouldn’t have been so obscure. Yes I decided to return the turntable as I was a little concerned by the cost and quality of newer LPs. I thought it was wiser to invest in the large cd collection I already own.

5 Likes

Final powerline for new setup arrived.

All 5 now present and correct :smile:

1 Like

I understand completely. Beginning to build now a collection of lps would be indeed expensive. Then I think also that the Dual was definitely not at the level of your source.

2 Likes

Very true the Dual was ok but if I was going to get serious I’d need to have spent a lot more than I’m prepared to for a turntable.

3 Likes

MCRU DIY power cable kit

Furutech cable, which is nice

Update, because the value is over ÂŁ100 they will assemble it for me. Rather defeats the object of a diy kit. And i was actually looking forward to making it myself and getting the cable exactly the right length!

7 Likes

I just bought NAC-202 with NAPSC and Hicap DR + NAP-200, hope this set will entertain me daily

thank you

14 Likes