What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

My thoughts too that 20g seemed on the high side. The calibration procedure calibrates at 20g only and on the face I can’t see that this can be changed. I can only guess that this weight was chosen for some reason. Maybe whether it is linear or otherwise, this characteristic is included in the calibration calculations. But as you say that can then only be an approximation. Whether it would be material or not, who knows. I won’t worry about it too much :-).

1 Like

Just press the " I believe " button !

2 Likes

I think the wooden pillars look great and a big plus is the fact that the cables are hidden.

2 Likes

For me it was the grip and control that the 250 brought when I upgraded from the 200. I was able to remove the bungs from the speaker ports. Perhaps a more significant upgrade than when I went to the 300. Having said that, DRing the 300 was very cool.

Keith

2 Likes

I recently had much of the same experience with the 250 DR. Going from a Supernait 2 + HiCap DR with ATC SCM40 speakers.

I thought the Supernait 2 was driving the speakers good enough (and it certainly did, I was not missing anything really) but the 250DR showed that these speakers can give a lot more of what I already had, and show some new tricks.

Sure the new preamp is in there as well, but yes the 250DR lived up to it’s reputation when paired with these speakers. Thinking what if 300DR… :blush:. But for now enjoying this improvement.

2 Likes

Thanks. I quite like them too. Still haven’t decided on a stand and I’m in no rush.

1 Like

Completely agree!

1 Like

Should arrive in 8 weeks :partying_face:
Really look forward to it!

EDIT :
Ordered just in time!
Apparently a price increase is planned. A big increase. Already substantial, the price of M2s will be even more so.

17 Likes

An absolute beauty, how much does it cost actually?

1 Like

They look awesome, Thomas. Enjoy!!

1 Like

Probably an arm and a leg…

1 Like

The current price in euros is between 80K and 85K depending were you buy it.
In Switzerland it’s a tad less. We have lower VAT.

After the prices increase… who knows!?

1 Like

My only complaint about those speakers is the absence of protection grills.

Apart from that, they look nice and sound even better :musical_note: :notes:

1 Like

Beautiful speakers! Do they come with the Mpod feet or is that additional?

1 Like

When purchased new, the M-Pods are now included. Hence the price.

I believe you can’t buy them without the M-Pods anymore. At least not the ones produced now.

Previously, M-Pods were an option bought separately, which didn’t make sense, IMO. The M-Pods are an intimate part of the M series speakers design.

The M series is at the top of Magico’s offering. I suppose they changed their minds about selling their top speaker “incomplete” or “by pieces”.

The S-Series is the same story. The S-Pods are clearly needed, but are sold as an “upgrade”.

Many companies do that with their gear. Allowing buying a product “by pieces” : dCS and their DACs’ clocks and power supplies, Naim with their power supplies too, etc. It’s a brilliant business model and the opportunity for customers to enjoy their systems by pieces while enjoying each step.

Soulution Audio and most Swiss brands, and some others have a different approach.

When I bought my Magico S3 MkII a little over two years ago, I purchased the S-Pods.

I have just removed them to sell them. The difference is pretty noticeable.

I’m enjoying them for two weeks more than they will go.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your alternative journey Thomas. “Soulution Audio and most Swiss brands, and some others have a different approach” - probably the main reason I am planning to try out one of the Solution integrateds with my ND555 later in the year. Sadly school fees, swimming pools and a couple of million long haul tourist miles, post virus, prevent me from following you to the summit :frowning_face:

1 Like

Nice, in some parts of Europe you can get a nice appartment instead of them :wink: In Switzerland it is just a two night stay in a suite of a respectable hotel in Zurich :sunglasses: Have fun :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I said different, not better.

Naim’s approach offers many advantages to the consumer.

To be able to buy a system and have it evolve from one range to another in a consistent way is something quite rare.

Long-term service is also rare.

If I take the 500 DR series as an example, it is possible to buy the NAC552 alone and use it with a smaller amplifier such as the 250. Later on, change one element at a time, without the whole thing being unbalanced or sounding bad.

It is even possible to do this with the Naim Statement series.

The equivalent is not possible with Soulution. The entry ticket for the Soulution 7 series starts at 100K (without cables). Not many people can afford to spend that much money in one go.

Of course, the 7 Series is difficult to describe in terms of sound as the music reproduction is outstandingly good.

That said, the Soulution 330 is something worth considering if you are looking for an exceptional all-in-one.

The conclusion is that there is no better approach. There are only different paths—each with its advantages and disadvantages.

4 Likes

That’s so very true. You get the doors and the windows for 80K in Switzerland, and Zürich in particular. The rest of the apartment will cost you a “tad” more :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So, enjoy your music and be careful by climbing up the mountains. :+1:

1 Like