What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

How did they do on the 30RS Yaker?

I bought a set of the Herbie gliders to use under my heavy speakers on wool carpet initially to facilitate moving the speakers for optimal placement but then left them because I think they improved the sound overall. Very wobbly though. What’s your take on their effect on SQ?

This is what I wrote at the time in the "Isolation - this time it’s speakers (and Gaias) thread when I installed them on my ProAc D30RS speakers.

" What I did end up buying was 8 of Herbie’s Giant Titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders The cost was $351.12 which included shipping.

A couple of reasons for choosing the Herbie products was ease of installation. I would keep the existing spikes on my speakers and replace the small metal cups with the gliders. I did not want to go through the process of installing the Gaias and then removing them if they did not meet expectations. You could say there was an age (70) factor in my decision process to try the Herbie’s product first. There was also the price consideration

The speakers are now easy to move and there is an overall improvement in the sound, improved clarity, soundstage and bass. The best part was my wife has hearing loss and uses hearing aides and she was smiling and stating how much better the system was sounding.

As some folks have stated on the forum, I was gobsmacked!.

Value for money spent was outstanding and highly recommend."

What is nice is that Herbie’s has a 60 day full refund policy when you purchase from them. So you can try and pay for the return shipping and get a full refund. Others on the forum have used them and that is why I decided to give them a try.

Ease of moving the speakers and stand is a wonderful side bonus besides the improvement in sound quality. Highly recommend,

6 Likes

I do not have any wobbly issues using the gliders. My rug is very thin and lays on a concrete floor. I posted my response to how the sound improved when I put them under my speakers above. I will say that having listened to a few album since placing them under my stand that once again I feel there is an another uplift in sound. An overall improvement in the soundstage, detail and bass.

I have also ordered four Tenderfoot Vibration Isolation feet to place under my NDX 2. I do want to see if I can squeeze out any additional improvement in sound using the Tenderfoot since I have been so pleased with the result of the gliders.

Life is sweet!

4 Likes

A move to a small cottage in Devon means I have had to rethink the system. Slumming it.

Will get around to RoomPerfect over the next few days……

24 Likes

Hello again @SimonDC

I see you succumbed to upbgraditis…

For my part, I was back in at my dealers this week. Had a cheeky listen to that pre-loved XPS DR, amongst one or two other things I was doing there. WOW :+1:

FWIW, written some notes here.

In answer to your earlier question, I’m not sure it does ever end… Onwards and upwards :wink:

How are you getting on with the XPS?
Hope you are also enjoying your “new to you” 282 + 250.

Best wishes
R

1 Like

You do realize that not ALL isolation devices sound the same?

1 Like

Of course. I was simply reporting what I found with those I’d tried. I looked up your profile to see if I could get any hints, and noticed that you are the father of a son, a dog and a wife.

1 Like

Are you trying to make a point? My wife could care less my son is 30 he doesn’t care either; and the dog would just sleep.

1 Like

A pair of Meze Angled Alcantara ear pads and. 1963 Siemens 5814a Long Plate Triple Mica tube. Ready for an evening of music and possibly a dram or two of single malt!

5 Likes

I bought this…

So I could do this…

rather than leaving the record sleeve on the floor, on the 52, anywhere.

£5 from Hobbycraft. Quite pleased with it, actually

15 Likes

After saying I wasn’t really going to buy equipment this year I’ve purchased a Roksan Attessa CD transport and today picked up a used Rega P3. That really is it……although the turntable needs something more suitable to sit on.

10 Likes

That’s a gorgeous system you have there. Loving the setup and especially the speakers.

How does it all sound?

1 Like

Just upgraded from my old Marantz SA8003 SACD player to new current model SA-12SE. I was intrigued that the current Marantz SACD players use their own digital to analog circuitry that they refer to as the “Marantz Musical Mastering” system that upconverts PCM to DSD and then to analog (most DACs do the reverse and concert DSD to PCM). Apart from its use as an SACD spinner, it’s proving great using it as a DAC. Currently i am listening to Daisy Jones & The Six hires download from Qobuz. I have the SPDIFF output from my Naim Core cabled to to one of the DAC inputs on the player. Definite step up in sound quality compared to the DAC built into my NAC-272.

13 Likes

I’ve recently had made up a headphone cable for my Focal Celestee headphones with a 4.4 mm balanced jack to fit my ifi Hipdac.
Also, I have bought an USB 256 Gb flash drive that I’ve loaded with a large number of my CDs ripped to FLACs, this is now permanently fitted into the rear USB socket of my Atom HE.
Lastly, a set of four Soundeck isolation pads to go under the feet of my Icon Audio headphone amplifier.

6 Likes

It has been hunting season again … :slight_smile:
First this one…

Bought a second pair (seller meant is is a matched one from scanspeak - whatever this means) - new from one of the last batches. Now I have 2 pair of spare teweeters :slight_smile: So much love for my SBL :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Second part of hunting season …

Bought a totally mint fraim from a very nice guy - who is the first owner. Looks like new.
Got a base plus 3x shelves (long legs) in (my) maple finish plus all small parts (even all the unused plastic parts which go under the glass, avoiding it to slide sideways) and chips.

For now it is a spare fraim for a second system or an active pathway (Snaxo also already here :slight_smile: )

Could not resist as the price was… could not tell here… has been a real steal! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

And now… YEAH so happy. Never thought that I will ever get one.
In my opinion the nicest looking box, naim has ever build.

Perfect condition - like new! Opened it (but forgot to take a picture) - also looks like new from the inside (has the Holden& Fisher transformer). Like it has been build yesterday. Also from the outside - 100% mint.
Bought it from the original owner.
For today (as spare and display model), but soon - who knows :slight_smile:

Could not resist - the price was also very very good :slight_smile:
They had a Nait 1 as well and my enthusiasm brought them to a thought using it again - that’s the best, what can happen!

So in love - when I look at the photos even more :slight_smile:

By the way - it is currently test running. Wow - remember the Nait sound very good. This little one was build, when I started the “addiction”.

22 Likes

Forth new gear… will post soon :slight_smile:

2 new bits for 2023, both for Tasmania.

First are Gaia 3s to go under the Neat Xplorers. My experience of putting Gaias under B&W 804s in Wimbledon, plus the recommendations from Neat and dealers, made this close to being a ‘no brainer’.

I had planned on selling my old LP12, given the arrival of a bargain s/h Stiletto. However, I now think it too will go to Tassie - if I can work out how to remove and then replace the arm, which i am told is vital when shipping.

That meant getting a phono stage to go between Krystal and 82/HC/250. After some advice, I bought ‘blind’ this Dynavector P75 mk 4 from eBay. Testing here suggests that is not quite as good as the SL powered by my 52 (or probably a Rega Aura), but it is closer than expected. I would take it ahead of the only other phono stages I have heard recently - Rega Aria and Trilogy 906. As you can see it is also tiny, and very adaptable too. All that for well under £500…

7 Likes