What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

What do you use between the speaker and the podium?

A nice old CDS2, recently serviced and with a new mech so hoping for a good few years service

24 Likes

nothing.
i tried spikes with harmonix bases, the same w/o spikes and now to my pleasure : nothing.
in fact, just unsrew the spikes and place them onto the podiums (thats how i did it)
sure, others may come to other results… but this works very good for me.

1 Like

:+1:

i was more joking…

3 Likes

Update on my CXC exploits:
I did an A B with the CXC going into my ND5XS2 via BNC against the Arcam using its internal TDA1541A DAC.
Surprisingly I prefered the Arcam. Had more of everything. I thought I would experiment a bit further which is unlike me. I swapped out the cheap £35 QED coax cable with a new Atlas Hyper DD Achromatic RCA to BNC lead.
Huge improvement for the CXC. The sound I was expecting!
The Arcam is now out and will be a spare, residing in the loft. I honestly wouldnt have thought a digital cable would have that much impact on the sound. That’s straight out the box too.
Very happy.

4 Likes

I am curious as to why you chose those connections as opposed to a regular coaxial/spdif??

Hi, sorry not with you?
I was just surprised that in my view, a 30 year old CD player was sounding better than a modern transport into a Naim DAC.
The cheapo SPDIF coax cable was holding the CXC back I feel.

I will try without… probably look a little better too

I meant why the BNC connection? Was there a particular reason for that?

Ah, ok.
I was under the impression the BNC input is the preferred connection,rather than RCA or Toslink.

Actually there are 3 protruding screw heads on the bottom of the speaker… I doubt these are designed to support the 70kg weight of the speaker?

Interesting Neil. Thanks. I’ve read many opinions that coaxial is preferable to optical, but never the actual connection. Only just realised my Ndx2 has a BNC input.
I did buy a reasonably decent coaxial spdif cable for my 6000cdt, although I really havent used it nearly as much as I thought, and had no frame of reference as hadn’t dug my cds out for many years.
I did dig my old Marantz ki sig out and it sounded pretty good both as a transport and standalone. A bit hard and cold, but okay. These old boxes can surprise you.

1 Like

Ive read that the BNC offers true 75ohm connection required. Theres a technical explanation that I am unable to offer.
I know @Richard.Dane has knowledge in this area around why BNC is preferable to RCA.

Interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

yep, looks better and works better… a win/win situation

Quite surprised still at how these podiums clean up the sound of the titans. I am hearing new rhythmic stuff in songs I’ve been listening to for 30+ years. Taking some getting used to…

Wharfedale Diamond SW150

Not as flash as most of the kit in this thread but suits the “budget” nature of my setup. Added this to my NAC72/NAP140 system to compliment a pair of Rega R1.

5 Likes

New pair of shoes.

3 Likes

12 Likes