What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Tend to agree with you Pete about the Core, hope this is not to much of a thread drift, but have blind tested it in my home environment/system against a Synology Nas and definitely not convinced to part with the money, especially when most purchases nowadays are downloads.

1 Like

The fan’s a bit noisier, but not too bad. I have it in an alcove and that suppresses the noise enough so that it’s not intrusive even in quiet passages.

Richard, don’t forget, copyright law says that if you’ve ripped your CDs you can’t sell them on or even give them away. You have to keep them. If you do sell or pass on a CD, then strictly speaking you’re supposed to delete it from your NAS. It’s unlikely that Plod will come visiting if you don’t, but I wouldn’t go shouting about it on the internet.

6 Likes

I bought a cheap Argos rack - for most I disposed of the jewel cases and put them in thin plastic sleeves with their covers and put them in the loft. Then when I got a Chord Blu2 DAVE CD player decided to resurrect my CD collection. I have kept some CDs just as they were when new as looking at various internet sites they could fetch quite a bit - not that I’d sell, but when I’m dead and gone others will want to. I still find the CD can sound better than its rip. Of course, the vinyl gets pride of place.

@linesrg - you can reduce how much space CDs take up and store them away. I agree decluttering is good. I got rid of old books and got Kindle editions where possible, it was great as with no books on shelves gathering dust, there is more room for vinyl records.

:small_blue_diamond:@anon56864344,…Then it is Urika,.just as you write,and not Urika II.?

/Peder🙂

1 Like

OK, the answer you were probably looking for is not how the NAS sounds, but how the change has affected the sound of the streamer and the rest of the audio system (as opposed to the digital system which doesn’t have any characteristic sound of its own!).

Well that’s given here…

I’m sorry to see the CB stuff disappearing from my system on a purely visual basis.

The 52 is a far better pre-amp than the 62 was.

The SNAXO2-4 (even when fed by a HiCap) sounds far better than the NAXO2 did.

I just don’t think Naim ever made anything that looked as good as the CB equipment; its design has aged much better than the Olive equipment (IMO).

2 Likes

I tend to agree that the CB has aged more gracefully maybe… still its what the stuff inside the cases that counts???

Regards

Richard

oh crap!
I’ve read that entire thread before
yes, it’s good that the new nas sounds better than the old one, Xanthe

just off to listen to my new cable…

1 Like

Music Fidelity T1 Tuner as the Rega Radio it replaces wasn’t cutting it aesthetically alongside the newly arrived SN2.

It sounds pretty good.

5 Likes

Very nice we don,t see much musical fidelity kit on the forum👍

Read and heard very good things about these new power cables from Titan, on demo mains lead for NDX and Eros lead for 300

1 Like

I can find very little about this on the internet. Specs, manual, review nothing.

I bought it for it’s looks, in some twisted thinking along the lines of form follows function… ie if it looks that good it should sound OK and it’s a big step up on the late 1980’s clamshell Rega Radio I had been using.

1 Like

Nice. I had one of these a while back and they are very good indeed.

3 Likes

Oooh, quite a rare bit of kit and a great looking tuner (and at least it won’t cook the paint finish like the partnering A1 amp). How does it compare performance-wise with the Rega Radio?

1 Like

It is nice thanks Richard and in a different league to the Rega. I’m really enjoying it through the SN2 and the Rega is working nicely and to much enjoyment in my girlfriend’s system. Happy days…

2 Likes

My SPU Royal N has arrived along with a Hifi News test record and a brass cartridge mounting plate for the tonearm which will help increase the effective mass. At this point I realised my Feickert protractor is still in Montpellier so mounting it will wait until after Christmas rather than muck about with the one that came with the test record.
Of course I couldn’t resist running my current setup through its paces. I was warned when I ordered the record that the bias tracks led to too much bias and sure enough a buzzing appeared in the right channel on the third one, adjusting it out took a quarter turn but I returned it to my setting for the rest of the tests. The resonance tracks were curious, I got warbling of the 300Hz carrier tone from 16 Hz down peaking at 14Hz but no wobble until 7Hz with the horizontal there was no response visible but the same warble response across the same range.
My azimuth was spot on.

No longer on demo now in the system, delighted with the music upgrade @Cymbiosis real winner with these Titanaudio leads and it means I can put power line on HCDR!

4 Likes

About two weeks ago, I bought a 1995 Prefix K from the well-known auction site.

I have asked my dealer to arrange for it to be serviced prior to installation in my LP12. So, it was sent straight from the seller to my dealer.

I’m basically following @anon56864344 in upgrading my phono stage with a view to switching to an MC cartridge, but for a lower price!

1 Like

I’ll be making a similar trip up to Leicester soon too Dan. Same cartridges (ex Kandid) on my list too. Urika1 makes sense for me too since I have Radikal, but wondering if you compared it with Superline or not before choosing and what you thought?

1 Like