What was the last bit of gear you bought?

I’m sorry about that. I was looking forward to you reporting about its delivery.
I’m very pleased with mine.
Good luck, here’s hoping it’s not too long.

1 Like

Sbooster psu for my innuos zen mini mk3…see what that brings to the Nd5xs2

1 Like

Just purchased three Witch Hat Morgana cables for CDX2.2, 52, and 250 to replace stock cables.

Quoted a 4-5 week lead time. Can’t wait.

Also waiting on a 2m Shawline to connect my Rega Aria to 52 while I wait for my Solstice.

1 Like

They quoted me 3-4 weeks on hatpin but shipped it after 1 :man_shrugging:

Incidentally how are you finding your Kanta 1 speakers from NDX 2 & SN3? I must admit i’ve always hankered after a pair, after hearing them at the Bristol Show. Can’t for the life of me remember what the system was though…other than that it was a Naim.

Reason why i ask is i’ve just spotted a pair going for a reasonable price and my finger is hovering over the trigger. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ha! What a nice coincidence!

My home demo of Dynaudio Confidence 20 is now over and it’s time to sum up the impressions.
It has been a real pleasure to enjoy these, in many ways, spectacular speakers. I have probably never before listened to a pair of bookshelf speakers that give such an incredible insight into how the music is produced. Confidence 20 has an incredible ability to peel off layer after layer in the music recording and then present the result to the listener. For better or for worse. They also have an incredible ability to reproduce the entire musical scale, except for the very lowest bass tones, it is after all a bookshelf speaker. If you like listening to classical music, piano, and so on, this is a speaker which is really worth a listen. You will not be disappointed.

When it comes to rock, pop, punk, and so on, the result is something else. The extremely neutral, strict and revealing reproduction of the music makes this type of music easily sound a bit boring and unengaging. It’s never really fun to listen to this type of music through Dynaudio Confidence 20. It’s for that reason, and only for that reason, that I unfortunately have to send the speakers back to the dealer. Sadly, because it is, as I said before, a spectacular speaker in many ways!

//Björn

3 Likes

Thank you for your review, Bjorn. They are a lot of money for me, so it is good to get your impressions, especially as I don’t have the opportunity to try them at home, if I was to go ahead. Interestingly, there was a WhatHiFi review on the C20s this week as well, and that came to a similar conclusion. I don’t listen to Classical that much, my main interests are Rock, Indie and Folk music, so it sounds like this may not be a suitable speaker for me. Shame, as I rather like the look and the design. But thank you, that was really helpful. Cheers, John

1 Like

Yes, with your taste in music, as well as with mine, there are probably other candidates who are better suited. And perhaps more affordable. Cheers // Björn

1 Like

3x 0.5m Lindy C14 to C13 extension cables to use in combination with my Power-Line mains cables because there’s only space enough to use IEC slim design connectors on my Klimaxes;

1 Like

Did you buy the extra cable booster aswell?

Morgana v. Chord Epic

The Morgana RCA/DIN has now had >100hrs of use so I thought it might be useful to post my impressions. The Morgana replaced a Chord Epic Tuned ARRAY RCA/RCA, so this is what the Morgana is compared to.

The main reason for buying the Morgana was that the Epic was too short and stiff and it was putting a lot of strain on the connections at both ends. The sound of the Epic was good: plenty of detail, good rhythm and timing and a great soundstage. I expected the same or better from the Morgana.

Out of the box the Morgana brought more clarity and detail - not a huge improvement but very noticeable. The biggest gain was with the bass and higher trebles. As others have noted, initially this clarity sounded like less bass but was in fact better resolved, more precise bass. Kick drum and bass guitar are clearly separated. The treble was better resolved, clearer with no harshness, which has made a big improvement to vocals. Overall the system now sounds clearer and more open, a very nice uplift in quality.

There is a ‘but’ though. That great soundstage has diminished, I have read elsewhere on here that others have found that their speakers require less ‘toe-in’ with Morgana. I have tried playing around with speaker positioning with little improvement. The sound is now resolutely anchored between the speakers with less height and depth than before. The soundstage is not bad, just less than before. Maybe it will improve again in time.

I am keeping this interconnect, the improvements outweigh the negative, and it has taken the strain off of the connectors.

2 Likes

A coax to Toslink converter. We like TV & Movie sound through the Hi-Fi and whilst our Virgin V6 box connects via Toslink to the NDX2, our Sony Blu-ray player only has a coaxial digital output. Unfortunately this subtly degraded the sound of the system when connected to the NDX2 (even though this is a pulse transformer coupled input so galvanically isolated) and the converter has sorted this. As it came with a USB power cable and the Sony had a spare USB port, no extra wall wart was needed either :+1:

1 Like

Cable booster? What’s that mate?

Sounds cool, take my money!

4 Likes

Don’t think I’m allowed to post links on other manufacturers websites

It’s something they offer that goes on the cable to improve performance as an extra

Ah ok. I did have a google and I’ll see if the standard lead is found wanting first!

its not compatible with the innuos mini according to Sbooster site, so thankfully that’s £90 i wont have to think about!

Quick update on the Isoacoutics Gaia III I ordered. First day I’ve had to properly evaluate them due to an enforced silent running (or at least, quiet) week.
Rather than use the carpet spikes, which weren’t great at penetrating carpet+underlay, I’m using two marble pastry boards under the 805s (and sooo much easier to move them around):

Very first impressions - bass is ‘cleaner’ but still impactful, not as boomy; soundstage is good (speaker placement permitting, I’ve still to play around), and the speakers are not as wobbly as I feared they might be. Overall, very pleased with the purchase.

10 Likes

A 3 meter JCAT LAN cable and Net Isolator;

• Edit: LAN cable not available in that length anymore I heard today after I made payment…
3 Likes