What was the last CD you bought

Double win, ordered this Sleep album and it arrived the same day as I found this T.Rex one.
I’m torn as to if “The Sciences” is better than “Dopesmoker”.

3 Likes

I know that I will sound like a broken record, but I strongly recommend that you hear Carlos Kleiber’s Vienna Philharmonic recording of Schubert’s ‘Unfinished’ on DGG. All his recordings were wonderful, but the ‘Unfinished’ is special indeed.

The coupling, Schubert’s Third Symphony, has some movements played quixotically quickly, and has not had universal acclaim.

Pollini/Bohm recording of Mozart Piano Concerti from 1976 on CD. Charity shop today.

Cecilia Bartoli - ‘Chants D’ Amour’ (1996). Charity shop today.

7 Likes

Thanks Graham I will check it out. Always good to hear different recordings. I suppose I sometimes choose conductors that I have seen at Covent Garden or ENO. So Abbado, Haitink and my favourite Richard Hickox. Saying that I don’t have any Solti recordings!! Saw him just before he died. Of all the conductors I saw Hickox looked the least like a conductor. Solti looked like a demonic powerhouse. Hickox looked like an ex rugby player who you could imagine sitting on a barstool and supping a pint of ale!

2 Likes

Bonobo Fragments

3 Likes

Rodney Green Quartet featuring Warren Wolf Live At Montmartre

1 Like

That Pollini/Bœhm/VPO Mozart coupling is quite wonderful - I shall have to check whether it’s still available as an LP. Pollini was a wonderful Mozart pianist, and he formed a close (but surprising) relationship with Bœhm (viz their collaboration on Beethoven’s Third to Fifth Concertos) but this was his only Mozart concerto disc. His reason for not recording more Mozart concertos was that he would only perform the concertos with Mozart’s own cadenzas, and those cadenzas for all other concertos had been lost.

All very admirable on Mauro’s part, but not wonderful for lovers of his incomparable playing. Just imagine what they would have achieved with Mozart’s last, K595.

2 Likes

Yes, you probably know that Solti was a fierce disciplinarian and not always loved by, or popular with, his orchestral musicians.

This, coupled with his (very) bald head, led to his nickname - ‘The Screaming Skull’!

1 Like

Thanks for the most interesting information once again. I hadn’t known about Pollini’s thinking regarding the cadenzas. Yes, I wonder what he would have made of K595! In the CD era, I believe Pollini recorded this disc.

6 Likes

Wasn’t willing to pay what was being asked for the vinyl box set so got the CDs instead. No regrets.

10 Likes

9 Likes

5 for a £ from charity shop. I always give a little bit more, got to be worth more than 20p each.

20 Likes

From my local Oxfam Books and Music shop today.

7 Likes

It’s a great album.
(Gets played a lot in our house, by all four of us… me, my wife, plus both adult children).

I think maybe his best work to date.
Although Black Sands (2010) takes some beating. Which the first album I came across Mr Green, now over a decade back.

My favourite from Fragments has to be “Shadows”, (ft. Jordan Rakei, vocals, etc).
Great vibe. Makes you want to dance :man_dancing:

What’s your favourite ?

1 Like

Some great tunes across that lot
Enjoy :+1:

Completely agree :+1:

Do that too.

1 Like

These arrived

Actually really like what Rogers does…
Both are a great listen.

TBH, think the first effort is more to my liking. Such a great voice.
The second effort comes across like she added a bunch of musicians and studio resources - to the mix - simply because she could. ( Following the success enjoyed from the debut singles, EP’s and then album).

Hoping any third album goes back to a more “pared back” arrangement, which I think she’s really good at. But allowing for the fact that musicians grow, evolve, explore and diversify. It’s all good.

2 Likes

These arrived…

One of my favourite sets from Glasto’ 2022, was these guys playing on the West Holts stage.

Having only just come across this american jazz fusion band, I’m gradually getting into what they do…

5 Likes

Hi @ratrat

Thanks for the comment.

As posted in the Song of the Day thread a couple of days ago…

Bonobo + Jordan Rakei Shadows

2 Likes

Can definitely agree to that :+1:
BTW, having noticed your post earlier, the whole album has been playing here, this morning.

“Counterpart” is currently on.
Such a great vibe.

It’s all about the music.

1 Like