What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Is that their real hair :thinking:

A young guy basking opposite our place on Saturday. Great choice of classic rock and not a bad voice.

6 Likes

Yes

Since my wife and I live in a location with little local music, we have to fly to attend most concerts. We try to plan ahead and find a concert with other acts playing at the same location the days before or after our main objective. With Covid this doesn’t always work out, such as Pearl Jam cancelling in Vegas on May 20th due to their bass player contracting the virus. I know not just any bass player, but come on, a bass player. They played without their drummer, but not a bass player. Sorry, I digress. Saw Santana, Eagles and Keith Urban on consecutive nights in Vegas.

1 Like

The Killers in Manchester at the Old Trafford Cricket ground … featuring audience member Casey on drums during ‘For Reasons Unknown’.

All credit to the band for playing lots of outdoor shows at venues that don’t normally see bands (Falkirk, Bristol, Doncaster and more), but I found this show underwhelming. The wind played havoc with the sound and as Brandon is the only member who moves around, from a distance the show can become a bit boring. Others seemed to really enjoy it so put this one down to experience.

Finally got to see Grigory Sokolov live!

Uploading: sokolov.jpg…
He started off with Beethoven Variations Op.35 then Brahms Intermezzo Op. 117 and Schumann program. Followed by famous endless encores. He can excite the packed audience like a rock star~

The hall acoustics was great for a solo piano at Concertgebouw Amsterdam. Very different from the Orchestra Hall in Chicago. Its live reverberant acoustics produced holographic piano tone which was utterly beautiful.

We stayed after the recital and saw the stagehand lower the piano. ( this is the balcony view )

1 Like

Pat Metheny last evening at the Eventim Apollo (always The Hammersmith Odeon to me). Fabulous guitar playing and accompaniment from his keyboard player and drummer. Two and half hours passed by way too quickly.

3 Likes

Not a gig, but the pre- party to John Peel Estates auction at Bonham’s.
Some great stuff.
And I got to meet the woman who married the lead in Chelsea, if anyone remembers them. She was lovely.

How odd to think that all this stuff from back then would be at Bonham’s! We never thought…

6 Likes

5 Likes

9 Likes

Good that you finally got that off your bucket list. Now you most probably will feel the urge to see him every season. So far I have pretty blessed in seeing him every season so far, of course with the COVID hiatus, must at least have seen him 5 or 6 times…., hope to see him for many years more…

Yes! Another bucket list filled. I was going to see him last December in Luxemburg but it was cancelled due to his illness.

Mavis Staples at the union chapel last night. Belting performance from Mavis, you have to remind yourself she is now over 80. For those keener to hear on food options in the local area, we ate at black axe mangal beforehand. Always interesting and a fixed set menu.

3 Likes

Wow! She looks great!

1 Like

I have only just bought the download of her 2019 gig at the Union chapel, what a great album……luck old you👍

1 Like

Public Image Ltd
Brix Smith

O2 Forum, Kentish Town.
16 June.

Great to see John & co again (it’s been awhile).
His voice is still stentorian, and despite having an evident cold, it’s still as powerful. Band was, too.
Great gig, good sound. Somewhat embarrassing to see some of the old men in the audience moshing - trying to relive the days when they had hair and flat bellies…
Brix sadly was rather pedestrian, somewhat clichéd rawk guitar rock. I was a bit disappointed. Shame as her band were excellent (bassist from MBV for one).

And a quickie of, I believe, longtime friend and PiL producer, John Rambo Stevens, who marched in time at the side of the stage throughout PiL’s set.

4 Likes

Last night at the Barbican I was lucky enough to be in row 2 for Arooj Aftab. Beautiful performance from her musicians, harp, violin and double bass. Her voice really is something to behold, and a surprise appearance from Anoushka Shankar on sitar for 2 songs. A lovely lovely evening. Not great photos but the best I could do.

4 Likes

The brilliant The Unthanks in Emsworth organised by the equally brilliant and accommodating voluntary community group https://www.wemsfest.com/
Live music as it should be heard, LIVE! With all the little accolades and stories behind the tunes.

1 Like

Quickie. Am I blessed…John Lydon and PiL on Thursday, then the wonderful Ese And The Vooduu People tonight. In Walthamstow - the Home of the Hip…errrrrr…

Honestly, if I had to choose…I’d go Ese ( I have seen PiL a few times so…I’ve seen Ese and The Vooduu People a fair few times more).
She and the band were brilliant
Shout out to Jackson, doing a Manzarek on keyboard bass & his jazzy fills, Pharoah and Noel - a damn Apollo rocket on percussion, Sheena on the best backing vocals - a keening wave that pierces your soul, and of course, madam herself who is just…awesome (not a word I use often, or lightly).

Always good to see @TheKevster too. A man above…

4 Likes

We had the Unthanks last night, here in Emsworth. They’ve long been a favourite of mine and I’ve seen them live a few times. Actually putting on the gig was something else entirely, and a pile of work. But it all worked well and they were absolutely fantastic and a real delight.

3 Likes