What was the last concert / gig you attended?

It’s available as a livestream for the rest of the week, so you could always check it out. The concert has become something of an annual tradition, although tickets sell out very early.

1 Like

Richard Hawley at The Leadmill last night.

6 Likes

Just back from a great Mahler 7 with the Bamberger Symphoniker in their hall. Is the first time that I got Mahler live, a great joy….

2 Likes

Very glad to hear recently on the news that, when the orchestra’s bus burned down recently, nobody was hurt and the instruments were in a separate bus.

Oh wow. Nelsons balooned up and now looking like Orson Wells! :open_mouth:
I checked the program to make sure who it was! Too much processed junk food in the US! :yum: :yum: :yum:
This was just 4 years ago when he was named as a music director for BSO.

1 Like

Yeah was also quite amazed by his physical state, must enjoy the good dinners a bit too much…

Test Tube Babies again
New Cross Inn

Lyndon

1 Like

Presumably it’s now the Petri Dish Pensioners.

With apologies.:grin:

1 Like

Hilary Hahn + Dalia Stasevska/CSO

Program
Tarrodi
Birds of Paradise II

Tchaikovsky
Violin Concerto

Bartók
Concerto for Orchestra

This was from December Concert at Chicago.
Hilary never disappoints. Encore was three Bach Partita which was a treat.
Dalia Stasevska who I was not familiar with was also excellent. One of the few female conductors I liked. A lot of energy with a great rhythmic pulse.

3 Likes

Last Night. CBSO at Birmingham Symphony Hall. Mahler’s 1st. Great seats to watch the Orchestra at work, over 100 of them. I think Mahler threw the kitchen sink at this composition and an ending that Lynyrd Skynyrd would have been proud of. Certainly the loudest non amplified music I have heard. Very enjoyable evening.

4 Likes

Really wanted to go to that last night, was it fabulous?
I also had to miss the Shostakovich at the end of last year, as we were in Vienna.
Not getting back to see the CBSO until May for “Music from the Movies”.

It was really enjoyable and aurally spectacular at times. They also played, separately, “Blumine” which was originally a movement in the 1st Symphony but cut out by Mahler when he reworked it after a few performances, it was lovely.

We are back in Feb and April to see Holst Planets and Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Piano, which is always good. It is such a lovely venue. Then in May we are off to see Duran Duran who I saw 35 years ago.
I was tempted by the Carmina Burana concert at Symphony Hall but I wasn’t sure. Hope you enjoy the Movies concert.

1 Like

We are doing Carmina Burana at the Royal Albert Hall in October. We do that one every couple of years or so as it’s one of Mrs QS’s favourites.
Might have a look at The Planets and see if we can make that one. It was my first piece of classical music as a schoolboy in Kent in 1976.
My I do feel old now🤦🏻‍♂️

EDIT: Nope, can’t get to The Planets either😢

1 Like

Just back from The Bamberger Symphoniker with Jacob Hrusa and a program with… Brahms 3rd symphony, Ligeti Lontano and Dvorak 8th symphony. Was a good but not a great concert. The Brahms 3 in my ears took a bit time for the orchestra to be 100% sharp. The Ligeti piece is not my type of thing. And the Dvorak 8 was great with energy and vibe. Interestingly enough Hrusa had a very small booklet for Brahms 3, the full score for Ligeti and no score at all with Dvorak 8 - which he obviously conducted with succes many times.
Hrusa is a good conductor and I am happy to have him relatively close to home….

3 Likes

Sounds great. Harusa is my favourite conductor!
Where was the venue?

Going to see my first Carmina Burana with CSO/Osmo Vanska in March. Looking forward to it! I can even sing along! :rofl:

2 Likes

Love the clip

1 Like

I am living close to two concert halls, this one is in Bamberg and the other one in Nürnberg…

1 Like

Cameron Carpenter+ CSO/ Szeps-Znaider

Program

Dukas
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice

Poulenc
Concerto for Organ, Strings and Timpani

Saint-Saëns
Symphony No. 3 (Organ)

I was really looking forward to this concert to hear CSO’s acoustic pipe organ in its full glory but alas, the Orchestra Hall’s dry acoustic pretty much ruined it for me. It sounded so dry devoid of much colours, I thought it was electric organ. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Last night at the Resorts Arena in Birmingham……really enjoyed it and went on for 2 1/2 hours.