What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Yes, my cousin lives in Sheffield and she recommended it to me.

2 Likes

This past Saturday evening had the opportunity to see The Tord Gustavsen Trio with Steinar Raknes on bass, Jarles Vespestad on drums, and Tord Gustavsen on piano.

It was a wonderful evening and was happy to have the chance to see Tord perform in person. Steinar is the tallest bass player I have seen perform, a real presence up on the stage and fantastic musician. …and Jarles was low key, present and keeping the rhythm. Very intimate setting within the Seattle Town Hall with a room that seated about 180 people.

8 Likes

I caught them at Cadogan Hall in London in November a great night, the acoustics in the hall are terrific for small group players, though not as intimate as your venue sadly.

1 Like

Just on way back from ENO’s new production of ‘The Rhinegold’ at The Coliseum. Hugely enjoyable and great wit. Wonderful music conducted by Martyn Brabbins. Best version I’ve seen and definitely worth seeing if you’re in town

Currentzis / the Concertgebouw Orchestra

Program:
  • Shostakovitch
    Piano Concerto No. 2 in F, op. 102

• Mahler
    Symphony No. 4 in G major

Teodor Currentzis
Alexander Melnikov: piano
Christiane Karg: soprano

Enjoyable performance for both programs.
Surprised by strong bold playing by Melnikov. Mahler was expressive but odd that lovely Christiane Karg was all the way in the back for her solo at the end!

2 Likes

Those are some good pictures, from interesting positions. Did you have a Photographer pass?

the only pro photo is the middle one as we were on a third row on the ground floor.

1 Like

Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala & Chailly

Program:
  • Prokofiev - Symphony No. 1 in D major, op. 25 “Classical”
  • Prokofiev - Violin Concerto No. 1 in D major, op. 19
  • Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6 in B minor, op. 74 “Pathétique”

Emmanuel Tjeknavorian violin

At Concertgevouw Amsterdam.

4 Likes

Similarly, a great performance by Suzanne Vega at the Cambridge Corn Exchange last night.

5 Likes

Awesome isn’t it, we went to see it at The Cricible the day after a Hawley gig.

2 Likes

I wanted to go to this gig, but couldn’t find anyone who wanted to go with me😢

Would you not go on your own ?

I’m guessing you l spend most of your time listening to music on your own…surely the only thing better than that is seeing the artist live (even if your on your own).

Mrs QS says the same thing, but I like company when I go out and particularly hers🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, there is something about having a shared experience and I have missed a few concerts from differing tastes, which is of course the same for my wife. Though there have naturally been a few compromises along the way.
Perhaps there is room for a Find a Fan thread for such occasions.

1 Like

Charlie Cunningham in LA. Wonderful venue at Gold Miners on Santa Monica Blvd.

We do generally humour each other and she would normally have capitulated and gone.
For this one she knew she was away and never gets home from her Thursday’s in the office until after 7pm anyway🤷🏻‍♂️

Is that Gerry Leonard alongside her?

Gerry being of course from Dublin and Bowie’s last long serving band leader.

Peter

1 Like

Yes, I believe that it was him.

1 Like

Should we be worried here :joy:
Seriously though, I have no problems going to a concert by myself.

1 Like

Luke Haines & Peter Buck - Bristol

1 Like