What was the last concert you went to?

Alas this thread was a (albeit exceedingly minor) casualty of lockdown, and got closed on May 28th due to the 60 day inactivity thing.

But last night we did get to go to a concert, in the open air, in Nice’s Parc du Paillon.
Masks, distancing (and limited spaces, donc - a queue) but free!

Terrific performance by Gaultier Capuçon (cello) and Jérôme Ducros (piano).

Four piece sonata by Brahms, Shostakovich, Chopin and Rachmaninov, and a host of faves, played flawlessly by maestros.

Capuçon is some kind of prodigy and makes his cello sing (and occasionally shout, as with the Shostakovich). I discovered him through Twitter where he posted a video every day throughout the confinement from his flat in Paris (‘Have to practice anyway’), often with Ducros’ piano accompaniment (having been recorded from his own home previously.)
They, and other members of the Parisian classical music fraternity also recorded an album in lockdown under distancing conditions, “Symphonie pour la Vie” with all the proceeds going to the French health service(s).
Altruism and talent!

Bravo!

5 Likes

My last one was The Wall, by Roger Waters
in Lisbon, Altice Arena, 2011.

(for a strange reason, with age(?) i i’m becoming less pacient with the logistics
required to go to a live performance.)

Wonderful that you got to go to a concert. Must have felt good!

I managed to get 7 concerts in before lockdown hit, the last being Portico Quartet. I also got to see Elephant 9 at Ronnies (loud), Maciej Obara Quartet (Unterfahrt Munich), Anders Jormin (Royal Academy), Craig Taborn (Vortex).

Gig of the year for me though, as I doubt I’ll see another, was Oded Tzur Quartet at the splendid KAAP Jazz club on the beach in Oostende Belgium back in February. Amazing music from such talented musicians. Their new album Here Be Dragons is a masterpiece.

2 Likes

Attended a couple of Operas since moving out to France but sadly the last concert was Beth Orton down in Brighton over 8 years ago.

A Celebration of Mark Hollis/Talk Talk at Royal Festival Hall 26th November

Mingus Big Band at Ronnie Scott’s last October.

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band at Gorilla back in February.

Sleep Token just before lockdown. They don’t sound like they look, and who is Vessel. Look up the question!

Jon Hopkins 6th March. Seems like another lifetime, don’t think I’ll be at a concert again for some time.

.sjb

2 Likes

Sadly Belshazzar’s Feast, Worcester. 18th Dec. Seems an age ago. There’s a Faustus Online Gig (http://www.paulsartin.co.uk/gig/faustus-online-gig/)
August 21st: 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm

Outdoor performance of Cosi Fan Tutte by Waterperry Opera last Saturday.

Finished the summer on a high this year before hitting lockdown.

Saw the Jet Boys, the 5-6-7-8s and Amyl and the Sniffers all play @ Adelaide Uni Bar over two nights in March

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.