What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I started a thread recently to post information about independent record shops but not much uptake thus far.

Sorry, I forgot you probably don’t follow arrows :laughing:

Happy to add Grey & pink in Chester if I can find the thread.

1 Like

Peter Tosh - Legalize It (Sony Legacy/Columbia)

I already have original vinyl and the 2CD expanded versions of this and original Vinyl of Equal Rights along with the 2CD and MOV 2LP pressing of that.
So I didnt really need this, but seeing it back in stock at Rough Trade and a few light ales later on Saturday night thought why not (as I missed the MOV 2LP first time round and as I had the 2LP of Equal Rights in the interests of completeness)

Well its arrived, and initially a little dissapointed, it’s a repress of the MOV but without the MOV labelling and resealable outer. The sleeve art is a bit poor and lacks the resolution of the original and lacks the gatefold sleeve, although the inserts are quite nice.
Never mind, if the pressing is good, and MOV’s consistently are superb in this regard (Record Industry) it’s a great album.

At least I didnt wake up Sunday morning to find I’d bought a derelict, rusty, flea ridden old caravan on ebay :joy:

:heart:

4 Likes

I’m ducking a few right now though! :joy:

I received my copy of the infamous Analogue Productions Kind of Blue today I’ve not had a chance to spin it yet but a few thoughts on the packaging and presentation all first rate from the outer box to the record cover all done by Stoughton. I know that the main thing is the sound quality but it is nice to have such quality and care taken over the presentation so, so far so good.

And for those interested there where no extra import costs from U.S based Miles Davis Store the final cost came in at $116 so about £73 for the box set and £11 postage still very pricey I agree but much less almost half the price than some U.K prices so a big thank you to @TheKevster for the heads up.

4 Likes

If you get lucky and dont get stung at UK customs (Import costs aren’t applied by the US vendor which you seem to suggest) then that’s an arguably relatively reasonable price, given the prices now for NM or M copies of the 1995 Classic Records mastering from which the AP UHQR is pressed (I wonder if that was a factor on deciding the price point to pitch this UHQR).

I have the Classic mastering, so still not tempted by this personally, however if someone doesnt have that one or good original then I can perhaps see an appeal for this UHQR ( interestingly a contributor here recently reported that they found the UHQR only “a bit better” than a Sony Legacy issue)

Just delivered!

As Bob mentioned, no additional VAT or duty appear to have been levied so a relative bargain from the US Miles Davis store (unless they catch up with me later!).

Won’t have a chance to listen until this evening but looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Ian

9 Likes

No they wont, mail goes through UK Customs on entry, I have been stung once or twice before, not often but if you do…it can be quite a wack
:+1:

I was pretty sure that was the case. Last time I ordered a load from the US they went missing in transit (luckily, the retailer refunded me) and the time before, I did get stung, but they were held in customs until I stumped up. It still worked out cheaper than buying the LPs here though - they had been on release for a while and the few remaining from UK sellers had suffered the usual supply/demand price hike.

2 Likes

My UHQR Kind of Blue also arrived from Miles Davis store yesterday. Not had a chance to play it yet. Got lucky with fees as well, makes a change!!

4 Likes

Usually the carrier, eg Royal Mail collect the customs charges then hold the package until the customer pays the charges, as well as any duty, vat etc the carrier will add a fee for collecting the charges, so it can quite add up. If the charge isnt paid after about a couple of weeks (different carriers policies differ) the parcel gets returned.
If the goods are below a certain value (I think it used to be about £130 or so) theres no import duty but VAT and carrier surcharges still apply)

If your wondering how I know this I worked at Royal Mail for over 30 years.

2 Likes

Also lucky, as mine arrived this morning after an almost 9 month wait from the US Miles Davi’s store…… no fees :grin:

Have to say the best packaging for an LP I’ve ever had, not much chance of damage!

4 Likes

It was a few years ago so I can’t remember who I had to pay the charges to; UPS or FedEx maybe?

The main thing is I didn’t have to this time!

1 Like

Mine got a deep scratch at a party. What happened to yours?

No idea was having a bit of a 70s/ 80s night and my partner asked if I had any Pretenders to which I said of course then spent a week looking for it.:man_shrugging:

Mine arrived today as well. As you say, it was packed really well to survive all bar being run over by the delivery van.

Jackie McLean - Destination… Out!

This arrived today. I know the music, but I must say I’m truly surprised by the quality of the pressing. The vinyl is flat and so very quiet. It was delivered in a poly lined inner sleeve too. Top marks to Blue Note for this Classic Vinyl series - apart from the sleeve, it’s hard to detect any difference from the Tone Poet series.

5 Likes

Arrived today.

3 Likes