What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I love this album. I was streaming it some weeks before. After that it is a must have for me. It is a very good pressing. So I had a lucky day.

After Sons of Kemet and Nubya Garcia this is the third act from the actual London Jazz Scene I enjoy. If you guys here have other reconmendations for me I would be very thankful!

Hi @krautnaimie here are a few London/British based Jazz artists Alfa Mist, Yussef Dayes, Maisha (featuring Nubya Garcia), Mansour Brown, Kamaal Williams, Yussef Kamaal a band featuring Yussef Dayes and Kamaal Williams, Williams also records under the name Henry Wu. Rosie Turton who performs alongside Nubya Garcia in the mostly all female Septet Nerija also in Nerija are Sheila Maurice-Grey on trumpet, and alto saxophonist Cassie Kinoshi who both also play in KOKOROKO an excellent West African infused Jazz group and in Seed Collective (now just Seed I believe) and whose debut I’ve just bought.

Which leads me nicely onto Theon Cross who also plays with Seed Collective and Yazz Ahmed who uses the same cover artist Sophie Bass and on whose debut Shabaka Hutchings plays, Yazz’s 2nd record Polyhymnia another all female Jazz collaboration also features the excellent saxophonist
Camilla George.

As you can see the British Jazz scene is quite incestuous and one artist leads to another and another all great stuff though I hope you enjoy discovering yourself.

2 Likes

Seed Ensemble - DriftGlass, Jazz Re:freshed (2019)

1 Like

These 3 from a local SH shop.

Just cleaned them and not a single click or pop :grinning:

2 Likes

I have just checked and unfortunately it’s not available on iPlayer at the moment but do look out for The British Jazz Explosion on BBC Jazz 625 (first broadcast in 2020) - I’m sure they will broadcast it again at some point.

Bob the B has pointed to a number of the active musicians - not all have full length albums yet and I particularly would like one from Kokoroko, who are on the BBC programme. I love that Seed Ensemble album

There is also the compilation called We Out Here from a few years ago which is a good introduction. I would also recommend Zara McFarlane who is a wonderful singer and very interesting musically. Frankly there’s more going on than I can keep up with!

1 Like

Hi kn - Bob’s covered the ground really well. I would add Binker Golding; Moses Boyd; Ezra Collective; Pyjaen and Ill Considered. Go further north to Manchester for spiritual jazzers Matthew Halsall and Nat Birchall. Enjoy the journey.

2 Likes

Chet Baker Quintet - Smokin’With The Chet Baker Quintet, Transatlantic/Prestige (1967)

The first of Chet’s four Prestige dates released in the UK on Nat Joseph’s Transatlantic Records.
R-5624166-1398277630-9544

1 Like

A couple of Pure pleasure reissues:

Cecil McBee Sextet, Music From The Source (1977)

and Charles Tolliver Music Inc Live In Tokyo (1974)

4 Likes

Thanks for those Kev I really like the look of Music From the Source it’s something I’ve never heard will have to check it out.

Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet - Simpler Times, Yarlund Records (2021)

I have to confess to not knowing very much about this quartet and am buying solely because I’ve wanted to try something from this label and this was relatively cheap on Amazon at £20 which is about 30% cheaper than anywhere else.

This title is mastered by Steve Hoffman and cut by Bernie Grundman I can’t find details of a pressing plant yet .

The music might be a little soft for you Hard Boppers by the musicianship is exceptional.

Looks like a trio too me!

I didn’t really think when I posted the photo but no doubt it could offend lots of people.

It was only a light-hearted comment!

Rough Trade exclusive on coloured vinyl and 16 track CD with the full album plus 5 bonus tracks in a nice gatefold sleeve arrived this morning

5 Likes

Which is exactly how I took it Clive absolutely no offense taken on my part.

1 Like

JENNIFER_WARNES_THE+WELL+-+45RPM+-+NUMBERED+-+SEALED-747918b1
JENNIFER WARNES The Well (2009 Impex Records limited edition 14-track 3-LP box set, pressed on 180gram vinyl at 45RPM, with all-tube mastering by Bernie Grundman specifically for this 45-RPM release. Features 3 bonus tracks, La Luna Brilla, Fool For The Look [In Your Eyes] and a rendition of Bob Dylan’s classic Born In Time.

3 Likes

k d lang - makeover
Double LP for 12 quid brand new. Excellent pressing.

1 Like

Chet Baker - Cool Cat, Tidal Waves Music (2022)

2 Likes

Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet - Simpler Times, Yarlung Recordings (2021)

This label and these recordings are a real labor of love for producer and label owner Bob Attiyeh. Recorded live at venues hand picked for their acoustics this record was recorded in the Brain and Creativity Institute’s Cammilleri Hall at USC, October 24/6. 2013.

Mastering Engineers where Bob and Steve Hoffman with Vinyl Mastering by Bernie Grundman.

It’s a lovely pressing and sounds excellent and for the £20 I paid on Amazon it represents excellent value.

The Quartet are top draw musicians and improvisers especially acoustic bassist Gary Wicks whose solo track ‘Sketches of a Melancholy Bass’ is the records highlight.

2 Likes

sounds interesting and it is a refreshing cover with these bikini babes :wink: