What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I thought you might be able to pick up some of the individual titles but ive not looked up prices.
I have the stereo box set and the mono, its certainly acceptable but does pale in comparison to the AAA mono set

1 Like

Would also love to get hold of the mono vinyl box set @YetiZone @Dreadatthecontrols

I do have an original ‘Please Please Me’ LP in mono. The cover is very beaten up. I was given this as a teenager in the early 80s by the original owner (who knew I was a huge fan of the Fabs but with limited means). I used to play it non-stop on some awful system back in the day.

Just giving it a spin now - has the odd pop and click but sounding good. Never been cleaned either - must sort that out with a decent machine of some sort.

8 Likes

Very nice - I’m acquiring the odd original mono pressing, but they are quite pricey!

1 Like

A friend of mind was around a few weeks back with ‘Rubber Soul’ in mono - from the 2009 batch. Sounded great. Mind you, the stereo reissues are very good, as you attest. I recently picked up a 2009 stereo ‘Revolver’ too.

What I’d really like is for Abbey Road Studios to pass the tapes over to Analogue Productions or similar. Perhaps get Joe Harley/Kevin Grey to play with the tapes too. Why they have to sit mouldering for ever more in a vault in NW8 is a mystery to me.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Spookily similar on many fronts!

My ‘Please Please Me’ has the original liner. Originally the paper sleeve was also poly lined. The paper was always crumpled. My dear Mum, God bless her soul, had the great idea of ironing the sleeve - which inevitably melted the plastic inside.

Thank God we took the record out beforehand :grinning:

2 Likes

I sat on the fence when it was released but eventually bought the mono box set about 4 years ago. I paid a little bit of a premium over the originally selling price, but thought it worthwhile to get it while I could. And now I’ve just seen what sets are currently selling for. I guess the bubble will burst once it’s announced they’re re-pressing the set…?

3 Likes

@Isca_Dumnoniorum @Dreadatthecontrols @Richard.Dane

I really do hope they do something with the tapes, or let Giles Martin loose on the remainder of the albums he hasn’t worked on, then release a new stereo and mono box set each - I’d be first in the queue. It seems such a waste to just have the stereo versions commonly available while the mono versions are site idle, where they could potentially overtake the stereo version in sales.

Have to admit to liking the stereo versions though, even though the original mono versions I have do sound better, although not the case for Beatles For Sale where I think the stereo version has the edge. But there is something I prefer / enjoy with the stereo versions, which I think probably comes down to the familiarity of the VERY stereo presentation of the 80s twin EMI box labelled versions I grew up with.

1 Like

Agreed!

Hope this isn’t going off topic, but worth a look at/listen to this debate (34 mins in) between Norman Maslov and Michael Ludwigs on Beatles’ remastering. I now realise I’ve been overly influenced by these chaps. They want the best - and why not?

1 Like

Do you have the Blue Box from the '70s and '80s? This can be very good - often you’ll find the LPs inside either little played or even unplayed.

1 Like

No, I just have a mishmash of original mono, 70s & 80s and current stereo reissues. I was aware of the Blue Box but I’d never thought of pursuing it as an option. I’ll look into now you mention it though, as it would be nice to have a ‘set’ in some ways. Although I am quite enjoying the chase of looking for nice mono early copies, as equally rewarding and frustrating as that can be.

I do wonder (read hope) if anything ‘new’ will come out in 2023 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the release of Please Please Me?

1 Like

Thanks for posting - will have a look at that over a coffee break tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blimey - 60th anniversary.

I used to collect the 20th anniversary 45 rpm picture discs in the '80s (now lost from my possession). And ‘The Beatles Monthly’ magazine that was reconstituted in Oct '82 (I think) and followed the subsequent decade month by month 20 years on (also lost in action). I remember going around the newsagent to pick up the latest copy - so exciting.

Wonder what can be done with the two track (?) bounce down tapes of Please Please Me?

1 Like

Good Morning @Dreadatthecontrols all three were unacceptable pressings, 2 were very wavy and 1 was in such an obvious horrible state that I even didn`t put it on my LP12

I can’t see them doing anything that would make them sound any better than the 2009 releases. They’re astonishing (monos).

1 Like

I take it you mean warped. This can be caused by a number of reasons after the records have left the plant as I’m sure your aware. Maybe try a different supplier/shop?

1 Like

Are they? If so good news for those who missed it first time :+1:

I recommend the VCS2 ALU from Pro-Ject, does the job very well and good vfm. There is a cheaper smaller version but I’ve heard less satisfactory reports on that one and personally im not keen on aspects of its compact design

1 Like

No idea, but I would guess if demand is there it must become viable?

1 Like