What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

On the whole the SQ of ‘Straight Ahead’ is very good, although there’s a slight bit of top end distortion at the end of the title track, and it’s a bit bright in some places.

A couple of minor irritations with my copy: it’s not the flattest of vinyls; the cover spine fold doesn’t fully align with the writing; the pasting of the information onto the back cover isn’t as square as it could be. Nothing that I can’t live with.

I’m no expert here, but one thing that I noticed when handling the vinyl was it has a very flat outer edge (don’t know that’s a technical term, or if my poor description means anything to anyone). I like it.

5 Likes

Th raised lip to the outer edge of some LP records is called a groove guard. Some like it, some don’t. I think the idea was to try to prevent the stylus skipping off the edge when cueing up.

3 Likes

How interesting. Just taken another look - it does have a very slight raised lip to the outer edge.

You learn something new on this forum everyday!

3 Likes

Porcupine Tree Closure / Continuation deluxe edition boxset in clear vinyl

5 Likes

I’m really looking forward to hearing my copy I’ve been away for five weeks and am not looking forward to getting back home or back to work next week but I do have a nice stack of vinyl waiting to ease the pain.

Recent haul of new and used REKIDS, just hadn’t got around to posting them on here. A couple of new releases and collection double ups too…

Foals - Life Is Yours (store exclusive deluxe edition).
The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie (store exclusive pink vinyl).
Wings - Venus and Mars (early pressing).
Bobbie Gentry - Touch ‘Em With Love (early pressing).
David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (50th Abbey Road Half-Speed Master).
The Beatles - The Beatles (Giles Martin Anniversary Edition).

At the recent North West Audio Show, I was delighted to find this nice secondhand copy of Venus And Mars - in mint condition throughout and complete with posters and stickers. This album has a huge place in my heart as a copy was given to me by a next door neighbour when I was around ten or eleven or so. This album became my gateway into exploring the world of McCartney and The Beatles, so I’ll be forever grateful to that thoughtful chap! My well loved copy is way past its best, but this one looks unplayed, and I couldn’t believe how good it sounded after a clean.

And for every good used buy, there’s an equally frustrating polar opposite! This first pressing of Transformer looks absolutely pristine, and despite four passes on the RCM, it has truly awful surface noise, so all I can conclude is that it’s beyond saving, unless ultrasonic cleaning can improve on the vacuum cleaning process. Hey ho, just one of the frustrations of buying vinyl.

Must pick up a Speakers Corner vision when back in stock, and perhaps an 80s RCA International version too.

11 Likes

The Speakers Corner reissue of Transformer is really excellent - eclipses my original by a fair margin.

6 Likes

Thanks Richard, I’ve read good things about this version, although some have commented that it is bass heavy though? I’ll still plunge, as this version I’ve just acquired is in a terrible state. A shame, as it looks barely played.

Both of these records were included as protective ballast for the Bobbie Gentry album! Obviously, not worth worth selling for the vendor - both in as new condition as well. Cleaned and will be added to the ‘occasionally listened to’ section…

2 Likes

Just got to ask, it isn’t a 45RPM is it ?

To me it’s rather sad , but she cashed in her pension to make it

4 Likes

Yes it is 45rpm, but don’t be put off.
Still superb.

1 Like

Yes it’s 45 rpm

1 Like

Many thanks, I would seriously recommend the Acoustic album - it has out-takes and is a compilation but sits together superbly

1 Like

I’d agree with that Ian, I already have it. :grin:
Eva’s “out-takes” put many artists’ preferred takes in the shade IMHO.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Causes my Dynavector to skid into the record if I use the lift/lower device

Happy to take the blame, are you enjoying it?

1 Like

Don’t normally buy this many in one week but it was RSD, Fathers day & the NE Hi-Fi show!!

10 Likes

Yes I am, both 64 & 65 are excellent.

1 Like

Amy Winehouse - Live at Glastonbury 2007 (2022)
Sophie Zelmani - Soul (2011)

5 Likes