What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I have just ordered Johnny Cash’s wonderful Rick Rubin produced vinyl copies of his American Recordings. I bought them on CD as they were issued, but it seems to me that Johnny Cash is a vinyl sort of guy.

I was on a bit of a roll, so I ordered the Folsom Prison and San Quentin albums too.

3 Likes

Just ordered a “Mint” archived copy of Tubeway Army - Replicas via Discogs. Another one to smuggle in under the radar​:man_facepalming:t2::rofl:
You guys are going to get me shot…

1 Like

I have all the JC American Recordings the original pressings are quite variable on my copies, hope yours are better.

I have an original Folsom Prison, I recently picked up the Sony Legacy 2LP (the full Folsom) which is well worth checking out, nice gatefold and book too.

Hi @BlueCanary, I see you “like” Soul Revivers, incidentally I’m wondering what you thought of the Kokoroko album, I remember you posted it here a while back.
To be frank after all the anticipation I was a bit underwhelmed, what say you?

1 Like

Hi Dread - I find it a sweet crowd-pleasing listen, their trademark jazzy/afrobeat/hi-life mix with a chilled vibe. It’s just what they do and they do it well. I wasn’t expecting earth shattering or demanding.

1 Like

I’m not a great jazz fan, but this had me captivated streaming on Qobuz.

You’ve just convinced me to buy the vinyl. Thanks.

2 Likes

No me neither, but after those fine singles and Abusey Junction…I dunno maybe expected too much, it might grow
:heart:

1 Like

Ah well Abusey Junction is an absolute classic - recording what will in all probability be their most memorable track early was always going to be an issue - follow that! You’ve been listening to too much Horace T - innovation at every turn.

1 Like

The vinyl box set is excellent. Some of the pressings can be a bit variable (GZ when they at their worst) but the LPs were cut by Chris Bellman, and they were very well done.

p.s. Just taken a look though and copies of the box are rather pricey these days, I see.

Not absolutely sure, but I dont think most Mono re issues these days are actually true Mono cuts, more a case of the Mono tape being presented through a regular Stereo/Two channel mastering chain and cutting head, no?
Not sure just swapping for a Mono cart will make much difference with a Stereo replay system unless its a full Mono system, one channel, single amp, one speaker.
I think a good quality, well set up Stereo cartridge shouldnt suffer significantly from tracking and cross talk issues when presented with a Mono record, if a cartridge is prone to those problems wouldn’t it likely interfere with the sound of a Stereo record just the same?

Just my thoughts.

I’m really pleased to have helped don’t forget to look up his other work.

1 Like

I have toyed with the idea of the JC box, but have read many reports of noisy pressings, which put me off somewhat.

I wasnt aware there was a box set but my individual copies are very variable as Richard pointed out

Sorry, ignore that last post. I was thinking of the “Unearthed” boxset.

I have also been meaning to sound people out about Kokoroko’s album. I too found it somewhat underwhelming.

1 Like

Moi aussi. They are good live, but everything they’ve recorded has been a bit ‘meh’.

No such thing as a mint pressing on Beggars Banquet. When I bought the original back at the end of the seventies it took three attempts. Awful quality pressings were standard, I used to dread seeing BB on the back of an LP. Good luck.

I think Kokoroko are massively talented both as a band and as individuals I own all of their recorded music and enjoy listening to all of it.

Their music is infused with a West African sound that to me is joyful and always makes me want to smile, to dance and to celebrate the positive vibes their music brings I’m just full of admiration and pride that young people in this country are coming together and making such wonderful music.

So all kudos to them :bouquet: :cherry_blossom: :tulip: :hibiscus: :rosette:

Fatoumata Diawara - Fatou, World Circuit (2011)

I’ve been streaming this from time to time since I saw her play at Glastonbury an am really pleased to now have a vinyl copy on the excellent World Circuit Records.

1 Like

Count Ossie And The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari - Grounation (Soul Jazz)

Soul Jazz boxed re issue of the landmark recording of Count Ossie’s Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari, first released in 1972 and an essential recorded document in the history of Jamaican music and Rastafari Roots & Culture.

Musicians and followers of Rastafari gather at Count Ossie’s camp in the Wareika Hills for extended Nyabingi sessions lasting for days and nights. Fusing African Roots, Nyabhingi drumming, Spirituality, reasoning sessions, biblical readings, poetry and free jazz. Many of the Islands great musicians would escape the constraints of the Jazz bands and Reggae recording scene to join Count Ossie in the hills to explore the freedom to play free.
Along with The Alpha Boys School, Count Ossie and MRR are a cornerstone in the development of JA roots music.
The Mystic Revelation continue the tradition in the hills today led by Count Ossie’s son Time.

On first impression looks like Soul Jazz have done a respectful job of reproducing the original 3LP set, only slight grumble being the inner sleeves new out the box are a little creased and ring marked.

Not sure what source Soul Jazz have accessed but hopefully it will sound as good as can be expected.

:heart:

1 Like