What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

This is a wonderful record set. I bought it at the time here in London and it was clearly a JA pressing brought over. It was a terrible pressing and after three goes I decided that I wasn’t going to get one that would play all the way through! I have since struggled to find a decent CD issue so fingers crossed that this is good. Let us know when you have had a chance to listen.

1 Like

Not sure what source Soul Jazz have used (most likely from clean original vinyl) but it sounds pretty good given its not a “hifi” recording anyway and the pressing has no issues.

There is also a Dub Store Japan re issue on vinyl & CD thats pretty good, its also on Qobuz.

If you dont want to spend on the full reproduction box then the Soul Jazz is also available in simpler 3LP or 2 CD sets.

This is the Dub Store Japan version (as I say, its also up on Qobuz)

:heart:

2 Likes

@James_C

If it interests you I also recommend Tales Of Mozambique

1 Like

Visiting family in Devon and found myself in a record shop looking at their used section. Picked this quartet up to replace my worn out copies. They all look very tidy and little played.

9 Likes

I think that the band that backed Bob Dylan at the Budokan for that live concert (or was it a series of concerts?) was streets ahead of any other that I have heard play for him in his decades of performing. I must look out who was in the band, unless anyone can say.

I haven’t heard those LPs for years, so I must look out or buy new copies.

The Comet is Coming - Hyper Dimensional Expansion Beam, Impulse Records (2022)

Danalogue, Betamax & Shabaka bring new fusion more Chicago House and Detroit Techno than Jazz but as always multi dimensional.

Lots and lots of low end so be prepared to give those speakers a real workout.

2 Likes

Thanks Dread. Yes, I have that and bought back in 2016 it tells me! How time flies!

1 Like

Lightnin’ Hopkins - Lightnin’ in New York, Candid, (2022)

This Bernie Grundman cut is much, much better than his Candid reissue of Otis Spann released earlier this year. This is right up there with the very best Blues remasters I own.

Recorded on November 15th 1961 Lightnin’ plays both the piano and guitar on this record so it is a solo record in the truest sense.

5 Likes

Charles LLoyd Trios - Ocean, Blue Note (2022)

Produced by Joe Harley and mastered by Kevin Gray this is the second release in a trio of records by Charles LLoyd as the title says all three are played by a trio of the finest musicians.

This is every bit as good as the first release beautifully presented, pressed and mastered by Blue Note.

I can’t for the final installment featuring Zakir Hussain the Indian tabla maestro it should an instant classic.

2 Likes

I loved Chapel…

Im struggling with this one… but will persevere.

I’m mid way through my second listen of side 2 Neil and so far am really enjoying it quite a mixture of styles and Charles does go off on a few tangents.

I really love his flute playing on Jaramillo Blues do persevere with it it’s worth the effort in my opinion even after only a couple of spins.

1 Like

Ps. I’ve just turned the piano intro to Kuan Yin right up (sorry neighbors) and the SQ is fantastic jumped right out of my speakers.

1 Like

Will do.

In what way do you find it better Bob, I have the Otis Spann and sounds fine to me

:sunglasses: :notes: :grinning:

7 Likes

Browsed into an analog accessory store a little today and have my joe jackson 45rpm cleaned there ultrasonic. I can’t get rid of the cracking myself. This is obtained as a b ware (return)

1 Like

6 Likes

It’s taken a while and 3 attempts to get a good copy of this.
Apologies to whoever recommended it but I can’t remember who it was!! :grimacing: :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :blush:

7 Likes