What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

The latest BN Classic to arrive here is this beauty - Herbie Hancock’s Empyrean Isles. I’d been very much looking forward to this one and I’m delighted to say it’s another top notch cut by Kevin Gray, and a lovely pressing too from Optimal.

13 Likes

You are absolutely right, @Richard.Dane :+1: This is just a fantastic record, I am totally happy with it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

The Remarkable Carmell Jones - Pacific Jazz/ TP. (2023)

Top draw reissue from Tone Poet if you buy one Jazz record this Spring make it this.

6 Likes

A good day! Have been waiting for this one as well, arrived yesterday. Cleaning it this morning, hoping the surprisingly great quality of the latest classic optimal releases keeps on surprising me. They even put a “made in Germany” sticker on it, that’s a new one :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve noticed the Made in Germany sticker appearing for a while now. Maybe it’s a sign of new QC broom that has swept through Optimal, as I haven’t yet had any non-fill issues on any of them with the sticker.

4 Likes

Its a quality control sticker.
The unwanted noise adheres to the sticky side of the sticker leaving the record sounding clean.

Hopefully it is indeed a sign, that they are proud to state the pressing origin. I just cleaned it, listened and it is absolutely marvelous!! Everything I hoped for and more. Especially the B2 egg more silent parts are wonderfully mastered, silent when needed and spacious. I am very impressed by this one, especially after the classic pressing of Maiden Voyage last year. Which I love, but now I know what they could have done with it, hoping that they will repress with this same allegedly new QC.

3 Likes

This is going back, expected better from Speakers Corner!

Anyone else experienced similar with SC?
Very poor quality control… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :unamused:

2 Likes

Very messy, how disappointing :frowning:

That would have been abysmal in the post-OPEC days of the 1970’s when vinyl lp quality supposedly dropped.

Looking at the prices being asked for that LP, that is appalling. I’ve never seen an LP look that crap.

1 Like

Most of the record biz is a ripoff these days it’s all about the big sell while they can milk the enthusiasts.
It’s all marketing with buzzwords.
I’ve never encountered anything like the abysmal faulty quality in over 40 years as I have the last ten.
We’re being fleeced in the name of nostalgia.
IMHO.

4 Likes

Harold Vick - Steppin’ Out!

Just arrived from Amazon, a big man with sax appeal!
They could have put yesterday’s delivery of Stanley Turrentine in the same box and delivered both today, i wouldn’t have minded :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Yikes! Pallas used to be one of the best, but they seem to be slipping lately.

Have you played the album?
I say this as yes it shouldn’t have got out of the door in that state, but, it looks like edge ‘swarf’ that should be easy to remove.
Yes yes I know you shouldn’t have to, but if the album plays well I’d see if it come off easy rather than replace.
Just my tuppence!

1 Like

@Blackstar, no I didn’t play the album.
I was not so lucky to it being ‘swarf’ which could be easily removed as you suggest.
It was firmly attached, looked like the cutting blade had missed it completely!

That’s bad (couldn’t quite tell by picture), yes I’d be sending back!

I made good experience with Toto IV and Carly Simon, both very good pressings and a lovely SQ :ok_hand:
Very disappointing was the 1st Ry Cooder LP that was re-released last year or so. No soundstage and a poor pressing. That one went back :-1:

I’m waiting for my copy too!

This BN Classic arrived along with the aforementioned Empyrean Isles, and so I’ve given it a spin this evening. Sam Rivers Fuchsia Swing Song. Sadly it’s not quite perfect, but not so bad I will be returning it. Just the tiniest bit of “spitch” in one or two places on side one. It may of course just be static, so I’ll give it a wash at some point and play again. However, no doubt it’s a superb cut and great sounding LP!

4 Likes

I saw this album recommended in the what are you listening thread.
Last weekend I came across this second hand vinyl copy.

5 Likes