What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Yes. Near mint. I rarely see Near Mint locally.

Simon and Garfunkel, the concert in Central Park: i see , for the us original pressing of 1982, 2 mint offers and 12 near mint at discogs.
The uk original pressing : 20 near mint

A friend has it and I have heard it over here. Worth getting. Takes you back to an earlier age and my lovely wife likes it, too.

1 Like

The Concert in Central Park is a wonderful album. It takes me back to my first year at school in the US - some had gone to the concert, and for the rest of us, the album release was the next best thing to being there.

The US issue is excellent, and even the vinyl itself shouldn’t be too bad, though I guess with so many issued it was pressed all over the place. For anyone in the UK, the UK issue is also excellent, but you do need to be careful and go for the presses that used the US metalwork - so look for the little STERLING stamp in the dead wax.

Who is going to spend £30 on a compilation of cover songs…in a cosmetics shop?
Uuum, I did.
With dearly beloved in Lush, the cover stood out so I had to look. Immediately Jackie Oates, Marry Waterson, Julie Tippett and Teddy Thompson stood out, then only closer reading band names that hid the likes of Eliza Carthy and others.
It’s a triple album, 34 tracks, curated by one of the founders of Lush. Covering songs from the 60s and 70s, some are just about copies, many interpretations.
Of course Jackie Oates is going to stand out, but for me, not one duff track.
Stand out versions? The Naked Kings version of Moonchild and (with the exception of Jennifer Warnes) no-one should cover Leonard Cohen, Marry Waterson has got her version of Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye just right.

Lau - Midnight And Closedown. Double album red vinyl, includes the CD as well.
Categorised as “folk”, much of their output defies categorisation, then a track appears that immediately pigeonholes the expectation of guitar, accordion and fiddle.
Thoughtful songs, exciting live, get to see them if you can.

jpeg
Durutti Column Another Setting, Record Store Day edition

Regards
Roberto

1 Like

Richard, thanks for that little nugget of info, I checked my UK copy out of interest and it’s got the Sterling stamp :+1:
but wow it’s so small I would not have spotted it

Excellent Alan. Yes, it’s very small, but rather significant when it comes to sound quality…

1 Like

Same here - I have label LC7266 which, according to Discogs, has the Sterling stamp on it (mine has - hooray) but it’s so small and far way from the other markings, it almost looks like a smudge on the vinyl.

1 Like

I was surprised also to see the album is on Geffen.I would have put money on it being CBS ( although it looks like they distributed it)Age is a funny thing :grinning:

1 Like

I’m surprised the subject of a good pressing has come up around S&G. Somewhere I have a copy of BOTW on vinyl (long after release) and it’s awful - flat & unexciting as a stale pancake. I’ll have to X-ref to Discogs and see what’s what with it (could be an MfP copy - yikes!).

…all the interesting stuff about pressings/values/condition et al makes me wonder who, down the line, I should bequeath my modest (compared to many here) collection of vinyl to. Perhaps a subject for a new thread???

Vinny produces beautiful music… a lovely man

Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On 4LP edition.

I had been deliberating whether to buy the latest Mofi One-step of this album, but prices have risen considerably over the initial £100 from the first issues - at £175 I hesitate. So when I came across this issue at a rather more accessible £55 I decide to take a leap of faith, especially because it comes with the Detroit Mix as well as the live Kennedy centre recording too.

Impressions.? Well, the first disc is good, well done, but it does lack a bit of life; I would guess that the tapes used here are the problem, either suffering from age and use, or taken from a copy, or perhaps a combination of the two. Ho hum…

So, hopes not so high for the second disc, the Detroit Mix. But… woah! That’s more like it! Wow, now this is great. Really great! Like the best I’ve ever heard this album…

I didn’t get to spin the live discs. I had to get on with making dinner. They’re a bonus. Buy this one for the Detroit Mix. Wow…

5 Likes

So far only heard brief samples bits but like what i hear.
Should arrive here tomorrow : )

2 Likes

Picked up today from the shop around the corner

3 Likes

Just purchased this for my father (honest) :grinning:

3 Likes

Gary Clark, Jr. This Land

Pretty good so far.

Holy crap! I thought $125 was pretty steep for the MOFI One-step. It did turn out quite well though. Still the price of admission for these releases makes one wonder if they are worth the price to perhaps significantly better the versions we currently own.

At the weekend I bought this

45th anniversary edition on silver vinyl

and this

SL1200

a surprise to find that on white vinyl

5 Likes